Replacing Active Ibanez Bass Battery Connector - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Replacing Active Ibanez Bass Battery Connector

I'm not a bass player but have a few Ibanez basses in the studio for when I'm brave enough to lay simple bass parts down on stuff I'm working on. Well I go to plug one of them into my Korg DR-1000 tuner and I get nothing. I figure its a dead battery so I replace it. Still nothing. Plug into an amp, and nothing. So I open up the back and start playing with the battery connector and I start getting some tone when I hold it down on the battery. I followed the path of the wires and all looks fine so I'm assuming its the very end of the connector (where the battery is attached).

Long story short I'm going to have to have it replaced. I see the part on line and its like $1. However I've never soldered anything before and guessing I shouldn't start now. Is this a big job? Is it something a local guitar repairman could handle easily?

Anyone know of a reputable guitar shop to have this replaced in Northern NJ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 AM

Reviews: 59
Re: Replacing Active Ibanez Bass Battery Connector

Soldering isn't a big deal but it also seems a little pointless for you to buy they equipment just to fix this battery connector. Still, it isn't a bad skill to have and what you're talking about is a pretty simple operation. Swapping that part out is as simple as cutting the lines and reconnecting the new part to it. Any local tech or otherwise electrically inclined person should be able to do it for you. Have them do it in front of you so you can learn for the future.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Re: Replacing Active Ibanez Bass Battery Connector

I just realized I posted in the wrong forum. Sorry about that. After opening up the actual connector, the back snap part where the you connect the battery, I see that the black wire isn't connected to the metal receptor. When I press it against the receptor it works fine. Either the solder came off or it was never soldered to begin with.

So now all I need to do is connect the the tip of the black wire to the little metal receptor and then tape the envelope back together. I can't use crazy glue can I? I'm going to have to buy a soldering iron just to connect these two minute pieces of metal?

Tags
bass electronics repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode