Ibanez JEM Forum banner
5K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  screamndemon69 
#1 ·
my TS-9 is getting replaced (still barely working). the 9v plug has broke the board inside (bad design flaw). i have been doing some research about what will take its place and the Maxon OD (3 or 4 different models ..?) series seems to be one that pops up most often.
i don't want to go with a modded TS-9 because i will most likely have the same problem as what has already happened to my current TS-9.
my needs are to have a pedal that will boost my leads on clean and dirty. i use tube amps exclusively for my clean tone and my dirty comes from a Tone Bone Hot British or Tri Mode (of the same company).
the way the TS-9 smoothes out the distorion while adding sustain for leads with a little boost in the mids has made it my pedal of choice for years to accomplish what i need. the design of the pedal structurely is why i don't plan to buy another one. i LOVE the sax/violin like sustain/tone i get adding the TS-9 in the mix.
opinions or options? i don't want to get to crazy on price but if it something that vastly improves things over the TS-9, i would definitely like to hear about it. thanks in advance.

#3 ·
i have the DS-1, Rat Pro, MXR and a few others laying around that i've tried with no success. i haven't tried the SD-1 with my current rig. the 9v input on the TS-9 is on the circuit board which has now seperated/cracked the main board after being pushed in (regular usage).
i started putting together a list of ones i've read positive things about but i don't always feel compelled to believe most of what i read on some of those review sites. here's a few i have been interested in hearing about:
Maxon OD 820
" OD 808 (might have same problems my TS-9 has had)
" OD 9 (same as above)
BBE Boosta Grande
Boss DN-2
" FDR-1 (mmMMm tremelo AND i use a '65 Rev Dlx amp Most of the time)
Durham Sex Drive (pricey?)

anyone have anything to add or opinions on any i've listed i would be GREATLY appreciated to hear from you.

#4 ·
If you need pics of the inside of an OD-9 let me know. I have one and can check if it's got the same design flaw as the TS-9.

It sounds great and from your description will do exactly what you're after. I found the OD-9 smoother and with a touch more midrange than the TS-9 (great for solo boosts).

#8 ·
i can try to snap some pics in the next day or so but hopefully my description is spot on enough to get an idea of what is happening.
i LOVE my TS-9 as to what it does and hate to not get another one but i don't want to end up with the same problem again and i might also be missing an awesome alternative make pedal that i might just LOVE even more. ;)

#7 ·
the 9v input is part of the circuit board in the TS-9 and being a pedal i use very frequently it has gotten "pushed" back in my pedal board where the plug was "shoved in" the housing and snapping the circuit board from its ONLY post holding it in place. if my plug comes out i have to open up the unit and put the plug back in place and try to keep it there while i put the bottom cover back on (BIG PAIN IN THE A**).
IMHO the 9v input should not be part of the circuit board unless there is adequate posts to keep the board from snapping. i take care of my pedals but in the heat of "battle" hitting the pedal sometimes loosens it from my board (heavy duty velcro attached) and thus pushing the 9v input into the circuit board and that is why it cracked.

i have heard of the Xotic but have no way to test drive one without driving a couple hours both ways to do so. i was hoping to narrow down my search by finding out from those who know the uses and sounds of the TS-9 as to what is a good replacement OD/Booster.
thanks for the help so far guys! keep 'em coming!

#10 ·
VoodooLabs Sparkle Drive? It's a TS circuit with some other features. I didn't like it much myself when I tried it, but I didn't spend that much time tweaking it either - many people have a very positive opinion of those and on paper it seems great.

Going back to Maxon, another one worth trying might be the Maxon SD-9. Does similar things to a TS-9 with the drive low down, and does some good natural classic/modern distortion with the drive turned up. You'd probably want the Analogman version, as it makes the tone control more usable.

#11 ·
The Boss SD-1 (Super Overdrive) is the same circuit as the TS-9 (Tube Screamer) but it has something called asymmetrical clipping instead of symmetrical. That allows to get slightly more gain and harmonics out of the pedal. The sound is very much the same, has that same little mid range hump and smooths out the sound a bit, and it's built by Boss which means it's built like a tank.

If you wanna try something a little different you can try the BD-2 (Blues Driver). It's a little more clear than the SD-1 or the TS-9 and it's a little more transparent, it doesn't have that mid range hump.

#14 ·
The Boss SD-1 (Super Overdrive) is the same circuit as the TS-9 (Tube Screamer) but it has something called asymmetrical clipping instead of symmetrical. That allows to get slightly more gain and harmonics out of the pedal. The sound is very much the same, has that same little mid range hump and smooths out the sound a bit, and it's built by Boss which means it's built like a tank.
Just few days ago, my bands keyboard brough over hsi collection of TS series and i compared all of them including my SD1

althought the SD1 and TS9 have same circuit, the TS9 actually works better as a Solo booster, it has more noticable boost, where as the SD1 is more subtle, but works great as a rhythm boost in the background since it adds soem grain to the boost...one big difference is, TS is more smooth overall, the tone is pretty balance wher as SD1 like all boss pedals tend to stay in the treble or harsh side...

TS9DX was my favourite, it is the most powerful boost out of the 4 and lot versatile and suited for my style, turbo mode will thicken the sound for solo really great, and lot of picking attack..

TS808 and TS9 are really similar BUT, 808 tends to be warmer and rounder and ts9 seems to be little less weaker then 808 but not too noticeable

#12 ·
If the board itself is in tact, or close to, you could easily drill a hole in the case and add a jack like they use on the BYOC pedals. Most electronics supplies should have them.
It would only be a couple of quick jumper wires and drilling a hole in the case.
My experience is that all of the ts-9s sound different its weird I have 2 that you would swear were different pedals.

#16 ·
thanks for all ideas and info gang!

the Boss BD-1 (blues driver) seemed like it would handle the duties being a very subtle smooth overdrive but i still need to try it with my rig. it's funny who differently pedals react with other distortion pedals and different amps.

the Xotic seems to be one that keeps getting mentioned too. i'll do a little more research into that one.

i'm very limited at electronics work and barely have soldering skills although i'm getting better everytime i re-wire one of my guitars. if i felt more confident about trying to salvage my TS-9 i might give it a whirl but the board has snapped around the post that holds it in place and i would guess that has an effect on the quality of sound i'm currently getting from it. it looks like the post serves as a ground.

thanks for all the info and keep the ideas and advice coming!

here's a pic of my current board. it gets cleaned every couple shows and straightened a little (velcro gets a little loose from use). i plan to eventually buy an almost EXACT replica for a backup ($1400 with cables and all in its current form) just in case something happens to any of the pedals (like now!).

#17 ·
another shot of my set up. from this angle you can see the "step-up" behind the TS-9. the TS-9 gets shoved into that step which is what caused the problem in the first place shoving the 9v cable into the pedal and breaking the circuit board.

#19 ·
If you brushed up with your soldering skills, you can easily mod a SD-1 into a TS. See www.diystompboxes.com for more info. And you could try moving the pedal a bit closer to the front of the board, and maybe some cubes of wood between the back of the pedal and the back of that row, like dragsternj suggested.

Btw, watch out for that patch cable under the pedal in the giga delay - make sure you're not stepping on it. How is the delay? I'm tempted by it. How many presets?

#20 ·
The connection to ground is several places but usually is the input and output jacks to the case.

If it will run off battery power you could make a battery connection to a case mounted power jack easily enough. Maybe I'm silly or sentimental but if you have a pedal that works for your Im all for fixing it and keeping it.
Or find someone who will fix itfor a nominal fee.

Or completely recase it into a standard hammond box and true bypass it like your MXR Phaser.

#23 ·
that's one of the reasons i like to bounce things of the jemsite members, they see things i might not. i didn't think of using a "stopper" like a piece of wood or something to keep it from hitting the step. a little too late now that it is broke but still a good idea for future consideration. ;)

as far as keeping and fixing my current TS9, with the circuit board being broken, i can't see salvaging the pedal. it works but i'm sure it still affects the sound quality. :(

i read a little about the Xotic pedals but they seem pretty pricey for such a small pedal. i know that sounds stupid but at around $215 US (plus shiping), i know of a few others pedals that might cover the duties for a little less. i found the info on the pedals on the analogman site. honestly though, if it delivered the goods, it would be worth every penny. :) i just wish there was a way of trying some of these out with MY rig and one of MY axes to know for sure what works. it can get expensive trying stuff out and shipping it back paying the shipping charges both ways ($20-$30 round trip per pedal).

the Route 66 pedal has been another one recommended by a local player that is made here in FL. it prices out at under $149 US. i'm going to look into that one a little more. i'm hoping to make a choice this weekend and get something bought or ordered so i have the chance to test drive it before next weekends gigs.

in the meantime i plan to try (again) some of the pedals i have laying around and see if any of them can handle the job: DS-1, Pro Rat, MXR Dist + (doubt this one will even come close) and a few others. i'll post what i decide on and any other ideas or info is still very much welcomed. there are sooooo many OD pedals on the market.........:roll:

#25 ·
i like their stuff too from what i have read and looking at the pedal in pics. the Maxon stuff seems to be made well and more like the orginal 808 than the Ibanez stuff currently produced. i'll check into some more of their stuff right now. thanks.

#29 ·
funny you mentioned this one as i just ran across it and started reading about it and looking for good reviews. the only negative thing i've read was unless you use the Maxon power supply you will get extra noise. my pedal board has 1 spot for a wall wart and it is being used by my Hot British (15v w/ a 12ax7). did you find this to be true about being noisey if you don't buy the Maxon supply? this didn't seem to make sense to me. :?:

#30 · (Edited)
i'm going to bring my pedal board and my trusty '65 Reissue Reveb Deluxe with me to the store i teach out of tomorrow and try out some pedals they have in stock (a cool blue pedal with two switches - can't remember what the name was, and a BD-2).
like the dumb a** i am, i forgot i have a brand new Radial Tri Mode pedal (real 12ax7) i bought a year or so ago as a backup for my Hot British pedal and give it another go and see if it will replace my the Hot British AND the TS-9. i'll post how it goes. if it doesn't do what i need, i might go ahead with the Maxon ROD808 (2-3 weeks until back in stock where i plan to buy it though :( ) or just get another TS9 and add a block behind it so i don't end up with the same problem again. the cool part about the Tri Mode, if it does the job, is i will then have room for another new effect (tremelo or rotary :) ). of course that will be a whole new thread. :lol:

** i did forget i had the Tri Mode (D'oh!) but i remember trying using it in lieu of the TS9 and the Hot British and not being satisfied with the results but being over a year ago i need to give it another go. it worked great as a replacement for my Hot British or my TS9 but not for both at the same time and i can't use it in my board to replace just the TS9 unless i run a secondary power supply (again, only one AC plug/outlet in my box that is used by Hot British and not enough room to add a two way).
i think the problem was i either get a clean boost and a nice smooth distorted rhythm but couldn't get a boost for dirty leads.
i also own (as seen in pic) the VW10 which has around 8 Boss distortion/overdrives built in so there is a very small possibility it can be of some use. i have a gut feeling that it won't work due to its placement in my chain (pre-distortion). i can't change its placement due to the Wah and Univibe sounds i mainly use it for need to be pre-distortion. worth a try i suppose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.