Review: Bad Horsie 2 Wah - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Review: Bad Horsie 2 Wah

I'll start off by saying that if you haven't tried a Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah yet, you need to get off your computer and try one now!
IMHO, this is the best wah out there, bar none.

My story goes like this. I bought an Original Crybaby because I wanted that classic wah sound. I was not satisfied with it because of two things: the large amount of movement I had to give the pedal for the small amount of tone change, and the high pressure on/off switch.

One of my jam buddies (who's been playing for 15+ years) said that he'd burned up 5 or 6 Crybabies gigging over the years. After he switched to the Bad Horsie, he hadn't had any problems.

So, I took his advice, one step farther and got the BH 2. I'm glad I did. Because of the contour and level controls, I can get that classic wah sound through a more reliable and better functioning pedal.

One thing that some people have complained about with the Bad Horsie is the amount of delay in the on/off. The literature the came with the wah said that the factory setting is for Vai's preference and gives instructions on adjustment. It took me about 5 minutes to adjust it for an instantaneous on/off.

The pedal comes with a 2 year manufacturer's warranty and is worth every penny.

Side notes: I'm using it on a '93 RG 470 w/Breeds and a Marshall 100w Valvestate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 PM

Re: Review: Bad Horsie 2 Wah

I agree, but my White Bad Horsie signed by vai sounds better than my bad horsie 2
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 11:03 PM

My BH1 and 2 sounded awful, I dont miss them.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Really? Just for comparison, what do you use for a wah?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
yeah man my BH1 blows my BH2 out of the water along with my old wahs- crybaby, crybaby classic, some vox one
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Reviews: 3

I don't like that Steve himself feels the need to have a Crybaby as well as a Bad Horsie on his pedal board. I'm pretty sure he uses the crybaby a lot more often and it's his wah sound on all the records. On features alone though, I can see how it would be desirable for using live.

I own a Morley power wah and it has one of the weakest sweeps I've ever heard. I don't know how the bad horsie compaires, but I'd like to get rid of it and replace it with an RMC or Area-51 at some point.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 05:10 PM

I replaced it with a Dunlop Crybaby from Hell. It does evil nasty, prison type things to the BH. It's like a 535Q with more options.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 05:48 PM
ME.

I liked the Bad Horsie a lot better than the Morley Power Wah. Great Pedal
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I replaced it with a Dunlop Crybaby from Hell. It does evil nasty, prison type things to the BH. It's like a 535Q with more options.
Amen to that. I picked up a Crybaby from Hell and I haven't regretted it at all. The only thing I would replace it with is a Real McCoy.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 06:23 PM

Reviews: 3

I had a CFH and sold it.

Definitely the best wah I've ever owned but it had billions of features and I hardly used it. In the end I needed the money...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:30 PM

Don't get morley get any dunlop's wah, it's much more better sounding than the morley, but I'm still keeping my morley, no money to buy any new gears now
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
Don't get morley get any dunlop's wah, it's much more better sounding than the morley, but I'm still keeping my morley, no money to buy any new gears now
I had 2 dunlops and those sounded like crapola, maybe I'll try an eq crybaby or something
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
I wouldn't say "any dunlop". Most of them are terrible.
The only ones really worth looking at are the 535Q and the CFH.

Last edited by Martyr Machine; 09-08-2007 at 12:43 AM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:42 PM

I gotta agree with Martyr. I tried a few other Dunlops and the CFH was the only one worth noting, although I would like to try the Slash Sig, I dont think it would replace the CFH.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:58 PM

The real problem I have with my BH2 is the noise. Step on it without playing and the hiss is enough to kill ya. I do like the contour, and the spring loaded return, and the optical switch. If it wasn't for the damn hiss I'd be 100% stoked with the thing.
As a result, I've been considering that Crybaby too....we'll see.

Tags
dunlop crybaby , pedal board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode