A rig for a newbie? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

A rig for a newbie?

Hey, I have been a closet guitar player basically all my life and now I want to get out and join a band. I have a 30 watt practice at home. What is a decent affordable rig or amp I can buy (or put together) to use to play out with? Are power amps necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: A rig for a newbie?

Eleven Rack + Tech 21 Power Engine 60.

Jimmy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 PM

Reviews: 3

A power amp of some sort is necessary. An "amp" usually consists of a preamp section, and a power amp section, in one unit. Some people like rack gear, where you have a separate preamp unit, and run that into a power amp. Tube gear is heavy and costly, but sounds better to me. Digital modeling amps have come a long way, and are less expensive generally. You can save a ton of cash buying used, but make sure you try it out first to make sure it sounds good, and everything is in working order. What is your price range?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 AM

Which 30 watt amp do you have? It may be loud enough in most cases if it is a tube amp, definitely fine for rehearsals
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 12:42 AM

Reviews: 120

30 watts may be enough, hell I play a 5 Watt Blackstar HT-5 in my band, and it's loud enough!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:24 AM

Are you thinking of plugging in to a PA and skipping the power amp?

Power rating are all over the place RMS is the true measure of power where I come from.
I like a minimum of 80 watts RMS at 8 Ohms.

I've had over a dozen rigs in my 25 years of playing.
My, "do it all rig" now days, is my trusty Rocktron Prophecy with the Rocktron 300watt rack power amp, 4x12 800watt cab and Rocktron All Access MIDI Foot Controller + (2) Rocktron HEX Expression pedals.
With a little time spent tweaking the tone, I get any sound I want from it and full MIDI control of any of the effects within each patch.
I don't know what else I could ask for.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 AM

I've always been a half stack kind of guy but you could go an easy route and get a combo amp with a footswitch if you use a lot of effects
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

I would probably keep the costs around 400-600...Right now I have a Vox ad30vt and I like the distortion on it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 03:07 PM

It's going to depend a lot on the sound you're going for and the style you play. A 60W tube amp is generally powerful enough for any band practice though. I'd go for a Peavey 6505 or 5150 combo amp, since you can get great tube sound from it, but still plug into a 4X12 cabinet later, if you need it. It's also fairly priced, especially if you find it used.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:36 PM

Reviews: 120

I think you'll find your current amp will probably be loud enough for jamming. Try it out first if you are happy with the tone of it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

You also need to consider the type of music (metal drummers are hard to hear over) and the venues you plan to play at
Your 30 watt amp might be fine for backyard parties and even smaller clubs--especially if you mic it.

Personally, I like 100 watts and two cabs.

Tags
rig newbie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode