Right, which power amp... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Right, which power amp...

I know I was pestering you all earlier but I've got a little bit of dosh now...

Marshall AVT150H (new, used or ex-demo) or Line 6 HD147 (used, serviced)? I've tried both models before, but new and on demo in shops...

I have just under 200 (300/$400) actually on me to spend, but might be able to stretch to 290 (420/$600) if my old man is willing to lend me money.

It basically needs to be suitable for live situations, and reliable. The advantage of a secondhand model is someone else knows it works 'out of the box'. As for the digitalness of line 6, I am used to what they sound like loud because I have a Spider II 210 which I have gigged. The Marshall is supposed to sound more 'organic' but I hear more about reliability problems.

So which one, and if neither, what alternative, bearing in mind I can't be sure there'll be enough secondhand 5150s, high-end Laneys or Marshalls on the market even within my price range...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:06 AM

Re: Right, which power amp...

i'd say go for a used 5150 rather than SS or hybrid or whatever the AVT is considered, and Line6's are kinda...bad...so i'd stay away from them.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG_FANMAN View Post
i'd say go for a used 5150 rather than SS or hybrid or whatever the AVT is considered, and Line6's are kinda...bad...so i'd stay away from them.
I did say that I'd be lucky to find a used 5150, but if I do, I'll go straight for it.

Funnily enough my other guitarist (when I join the band) has a 5150, but even second hand this'll be out of my range. I'm probably gonna have to go with the AVT unless loads of money magically appears, even with the AVT my folks have to help me out.

The AVT has always been good whenever I've tried it, even though it obviously doesn't have the punch of a valve. It's great in every other sense, if it doesn't hold out good enough then I'm sure after a short while I'll be able to accumulate money for a proper valve. With the band I'm joining (for live duties) I might even be lucky enough to get a share of the label's advance, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Cheers for the reccomendations though...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:36 PM

Why is the title about power amps?

Anyway if you like 5150s get one, much better than the AVT. I hate 5150s, but thats really more a preference thing. As long as you like the voicing you will be very happy with it. And since when are 5150s rare? Why do you have to be lucky to find one on ****?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
Why is the title about power amps?
Sorry, I mean heads, but people always make sexual references

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
Anyway if you like 5150s get one, much better than the AVT. I hate 5150s, but thats really more a preference thing. As long as you like the voicing you will be very happy with it. And since when are 5150s rare? Why do you have to be lucky to find one on ****?
It's mostly a price thing. I have less than 200 to spare and my parents will probably only help me out about 100 or so. I would wait till I have more money but I need the amp by mid-September.

I know the 5150 is probably miles better than the AVT, though I was kinda asking, on a sliding scale what would be better, this solid state or that solid state. If I had money for even a secondhand valve like 5150 I'd get one without question, though buying on **** is always risky because you have to rely on the seller's word...

Tags
marshall avt , power amp , power amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode