Rivera TBR-1 pricing? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Rivera TBR-1 pricing?

Hey, guys

I'm wondering if any of you Rivera junkies could tell me what the going rate on a Rivera TBR-1 would be. I've seen one on eBay that's from before the M and SL variants (though it's a little odd... it has the green standby switch like the TBR-2 series).

Any ideas of what one should reasonably pay for one of these?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 12:41 AM

I got my TBR-1SL for $700 and sold it for $750 a few weeks ago. I picked up my TBR-2SL for $500 though, which was by far a better deal (if I can only get a few bugs ironed out!) That seems to be the general price range- $450 to $800, depending on model and condition.

GREAT amps!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

I think a TBR-2 series would be just overkill. I can't think of any situation where i would need 160 watts a side.

I'll keep looking around... hopefully i can find a TBR-1SL for a good price.

But i will keep my options open... $500 for your TBR-2SL is a killer deal!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 11:48 AM

The TBR-2SL could definitely be overkill...I hardly use it to its full capacity. Mine's about 120W per side with the EL-34s, which is still a ton. But, the tone is much, much thicker on the 2SL than it was on the 1SL. It's just richer overall, which is the only reason I sold by 1SL.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 11:55 AM

Have you thought about the newer Riveras, darren? The footswitchable boosts (rather than just push/pull extra gain stages) are very useful - they make it into a pseudo-4 channel amp, and the preamp is basically the same
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 12:07 PM

I got my TBR-1SL for $700.

The new Riveras are nice, but they don't make any new stereo amps I want to play with some stereo effects when I can raise the money.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 12:13 PM

Yeah...I had actually looked at some of the newer heads, but...I wanted rack-mountable, and I wanted Stereo. I've got a Suprema 55 as well, which I use was a practice amp and for smaller gigs-GREAT amp as well, but a total different ballgame.

One key thing with the TBR series is finding the right stereo cabs to go with them...if you want to use them to their full potential. I've found that nothing sounds nearly as good as the Rivera stereo cabs, but they're kind of hard to find. I got lucky and ran across a stash of them at a local Guitar Center for $300/per 2x12"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

I really like the features and specs of the Suprema combo, but as Kremlin said, it's only mono. For what i'd pay for a new Suprema, i could get a used TBR and a decent cab or two.

The TBR also appeals to me for its aesthetics... it's very honest in its design. Its appearance is true to its function, while still being unique and different from anything else out there. I don't want my amp to look like a piece of 50s-era furniture. Who started covering amps in Tolex, anyway? And why?

Tags
local guitar center , practice amp , rivera tbr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode