Rocktron Chameleon - any users here? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Rocktron Chameleon - any users here?

Just won one of these on ebay, anybody use one here? Any hints/ tips to get the best out of it?

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 12:45 PM

Reviews: 1
Andy:

Congrats on the lizard purchase!

I had a '93 "original" Chameleon until about 1999 and absolutely loved it -- that thing is absolutely devastating in the studio!

I'm trying to recall some tips and tricks for you ... I suppose the first thing would be to calibrate the HUSH noise reduction to your guitar and the particular patch you're working with. Once you get the hang of the HUSH threshold you should be able to easily dial it in once and forget it for each patch.

I'd suggest really getting to know the preamp section -- the gain structure and EQ of the Chameleon is pretty radical. Play with the gain, Variac, and EQ 'til you're blue in the face. The EQ is parametric, so you can even experiment with different frequency and width/Q settings for each part of the EQ. Find the frequencies that resonate with your instrument (or ones that create interesting clashes) and goose 'em.

After you've gotten a feel for the preamp and some of the basic effects, try playing with some of the more interesting effect parameters, such as the reverb's "delay/dry" balance. You can vary where the reverb goes to have either a wet original signal/dry echoes on one extreme, or dry signal and reverberated echoes in the other. Very cool! Ditto for the pitch-shift ... you can have a dry signal with pitch-shifted reverb, or a pitch-shifted signal with dry reverb.

If you're using the unit as a recording device, you simply _must_ play with the cab emulation parameters, especially "reactance." The secret to amazing recorded tone is hidden away within those parameters.

Above all, I'd just suggest that you never stop tweaking. In five years, I never tired of programming my Chameleon ... there always seemed to be something new in that box! You can cop almost _any_ recorded guitar tone with that unit if you spend enough time with it.

I wish I could remember some more specifics for you. If you have any questions, feel free to drop a line!

Best of luck!

--jr

PS -- one last thing -- don't forget to hook a microphone into it and use it to record some bad-ass Ministry type vocals!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Its the original which I have won, thanks for the cool info. Will probably be asking for more help when it comes
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 12:58 PM

I have the original one as well. It sounds pretty good to me but I haven't used it much yet. My problem with the preamp is that it little 'too' tweakable since there's a lot of parameters to deal with. This is great for people who really wants to fine tune your sound....but I'm an idiot and very impatient...lol.

We should share settings once u start playing around with yours.....cuz I need some good ones
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 02:35 PM

Can anyone comment on how it sounds cranked up through a power amp/cab in a live situation?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Will do when the damn thing actually arrives - should be tomorrow. I will not gig it straight away as I will need to fine tune patches that work live, but comments from other people on other forums suggest it should be good.

To all the guys that have replied to this thread thanks, it would be cool to trade patches once I get the unit.

Andy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:52 PM

Ricky Garcia uses the same model preamp as well and he runs it through a Marshal Valvestate and it sounds great......I was very surprised. Then again, Ricky has great chops.....so that helps.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:38 PM

I've been using one for 2 years live & I love it. It's user-friendly & extremely tweakable. In my area, I've been told I have the most brutal guitar tone for metal.

I'd love to do some preset swapping as well.

I'll move up to a Prophesy one of these days.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Post your presets dudes!!

I am currently working on some of my own now I have got the hang of the machine, got a good patch that may need a little more tweaking to get a Jake E Lee kinda tone...will post the settings when I am happy with it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 12:05 AM

my lead preset isn't very good but here goes....

Gain: 45
Variac Adjust: -3
Bass Level: +9
Mid Level: +11
Treble: -5
Presence: -6

(Hush) Exp Thresh: -50

Pre EQ
LF Level: -3
LF Freq: 63hz
Mid Level: +12
Mid Freq: 1139hz
Mid BW: .2 Oct

Post EQ
Bass Level:+9
Bass Freq: 105hz
Bass BW: .4 Oct
Mid Level: +11
Mid Freq: 545hz
Mid BW: .6 Oct
Treble Level: -5
Treble Freq: 4000hz
Treble BW: .6 Oct
Presence: -6
Presence Freq: 4362hz
Presence BW: .2 Oct

I don't use any effects

Tags
power amp , ricky garcia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode