Rocktron Prophesy or Line 6 POD Pro? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Rocktron Prophesy or Line 6 POD Pro?

Hi everyone:

I'm looking to build a second rack unit for fun and more options, and I wanted to get opinions from everyone on which preamp they think is best, and why. Line 6 POD Pro or Rocktron Prophesy? The one I get will be mainly used for live gigs, but also for home use...opinions? I'm looking for three basic tones, sparkling clean, death metal heavy (think Death, Possessed, ect) and a great lead tone (VH, Lynch, Vai, Larocque, ect.)....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 02:53 PM

POD Pro or PODxt Pro

Even if you have more tones than you'll need, the ones you'll use will be great, and you'll randomly find uses for one or two of the others (one of my main clean tones is actually the modern class A setting). Just experiment when you get bored, you'll find uses you never thought you would. (or maybe it's just me )

I find I use a lot of amps, but even if I only used one clean, and one distorted it'd still be cheaper than both amps that are modelled. And I don't need a stack anyways. (yet )
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 09:58 PM

See, while I don't own either, I'm gonna push you the other way for one simple reason- the prophecy has tubes. Nothing beats the real thing.

Ok, uninformed posturing aside, have you played both? Line6 is just dizzying in terms of processing power, but as I understand the Prophecy isn't too far behind, either. Sit down with both, through a good power amp and cab, and see which leaves you feeling more "inspired." come back a week later, do it again, and see if you've changed your mind. if so, repeat. if not, leave with the preamp you prefer.

Really, your ears are the ones that need to be happy here... And what an amp's intended use is doesn't necessarily prevent it from working amazinbgly for soemthing else- i mean, one of my favorite blues sounds ever is the clean channel of a dual recto in "pushed" mode. killer. So, whatever the hype is for a peice of gear is by no means set in stone- sit down, play some stuff, and see what works for you.

-D
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 10:09 PM

Oh, wait, the Rocktron Prophesy? Is that the one with the swappable "amp modules"? Don't bother! I played one in a store, and man the thing sounded terrible! They only had the AC-30 and Rectified models in, and I found the AC-30 did clean, and distorted better than the Rectified, but overall everything was too bassy, and there was never enough gain on the distorted tones.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

Thanks alot for the resplonses guys....I actually decided to go with something completely different, a Mesa Studio preamp...hehe...I've never been a mesa fan save for the wonderful Mark II C+ amps, but I got a good offer on a Studio pre and couldn't pass up. Anyone have experience with these? I think there great!

Thanks again!

Michael
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 02:33 AM

Twohands your thinkin of that Randall amp that has the swappable pre's. And the Mesa Pre is f'ing killer.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 09:53 AM

Twohands, not only is that a Randall you're thinking of, as for the gain issues, remember you're used to a Line6- not only are those things solid state, so you get all the gain they can properly unleash at any level, the distortion patches on those things can get WAAAY oversaturated. You're used to an unrealistic amount of gain at low volumes. Spend some time with a good tube amp at gigging volumes, and before you know it, you'll be thinking it's the Line6 with too much gain, and not the Randall (or some other tube amp) with too little.

-D

Tags
clean tone , death metal , distorted tone , distorted tones , dual recto , mesa studio preamp , pod pro , power amp , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode