Rocktron Silver Dragon - tube distortion - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
Rocktron Silver Dragon - tube distortion

Hey all, just a question about this pedal. I can't really afford to buy myself a tube amp as I've got a wedding to save up for but I really want some tube distortion. I currently have a Kustom KGA65 which is a solid state amp with a 12 inch Celestion speaker. Would the Silver Dragon help gain me that tube distortion tone that solid state amps can't quite get at a fraction of the price?

http://www.rocktron.com/frameset1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 05:19 AM

Re: Rocktron Silver Dragon - tube distortion

Yeah it sure would. I have heard that these are really good. I tried a Hughes and Kettner Tubeman and it was insane as well.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Anyone tried the Rocktron one though?

Gilk420, was the amp you played through with the Hughes and Kettner a solid state combo?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Also has anyone tried the Vox Bulldog distortion box?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:11 PM
rgr

I've heard good things about the Rocktron, but for a more real "amp" feel, you might check out the Tone Bone pedals, the H&K are also good, a Budda Zenman might work too.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

The Tone Bones look good, but probably out of my price range
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 06:34 PM

No, the H&K Tubeman I tried was through a '59 Bassman reissue, it was set to a super clean tone, and the H&K really rocked it. Odd combo, I know, I was just in a store checking stuff out.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 06:51 PM

Off-Topic:

Rocktron's site is awesome! Very professional, modern and clean!

Sorry for the off topic post...

BLAKK:JAKK
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it is a neat site

On another topic I've placed a bid on a Tone Bone Tri-Mode pedal. I was actually meaning to look at the Plexi-Tube or the Hot British as they seem to be the real high gain ones. Has anyone played with the Tri-Mode pedal and is it possible to pull some high gain tones out of it?

I guess with the Tri-Mode having the complete by-pass mode I could use another pedal to bump the signal a bit more and just use the by-pass mode to switch from clean to distorted without worrying about hitting two pedals?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Well the Tonebone has gone passed my budget for now with regards to bidding so no cheap wins there.

I tried out a Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor pedal today running through the same amp I own and it sounded phenomenal. Turned a solid state combo amp in to something quite special. I'd like one of these or one of the Tonebone Hot British/Plexitube pedals. Now just to save up for it (unless someone can make some lower cost suggestions).
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 01:49 PM

I bought one of these when they first came out. To be blunt I thought it was crap, sounded horrible. No high gain tones to be found here. I even tried as a boost for my tube amp. And you guessed it horrible. Save your money and by a vox valvetronix amp. They sound great for the money IMO. Better than any pedal I tried any way. I have heard good things about Radial products though, but have never tried one. Regardless I hope you find the sound you are looking for. Nothing can be more frusrating than have the definitive sound in your head and not being able find it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:51 PM
rgr

If you are just looking for some good distortion sounds, check out the new EH Metal Muff. The clips I heard are really good (www.ehx.com) and it has a built in boost. No tube, but I've heard crappy sounding tube pedals and good sounding ss ones FWIW.

Tags
clean tone , combo amp , high gain tones , solid state amp , solid state amps , tube amp , tube distortion , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode