Roland MIDI on 7-strings? - ...your experiences - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Roland MIDI on 7-strings? - ...your experiences

I was curious if any of you used the Roland GK-2A divided pickup on your 7-string axes. * Since the pickup only comes available for 6-strings, which set of strings did you mount it under? *B to B? *E to E? *Your thoughts?

My quick rant:
I'd really love to use the Roland GR-33 Guitar Synth on a 7-string since that's all I play. *Why don't they make a 7-string GK-2A pickup? *Anyone else share this dilemma?
RANT MODE OFF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 02:18 PM

Roland MIDI on 7-strings?

There's a lot more to the Roland synths than just the pickup. The whole architecture of the pitch-to-MIDI conversion is based around hexaphonic input. To get it to work on a 7-string would require extensive changes to the hardware and software architecture to support a seventh input.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 02:48 PM

i've seen pictures of them mounted(E to e) on a few universe and Rg7's on the internet so it obviously works for some people.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 06:12 PM

the Roland pickup tracks better on thinner gauge strings. *that's why people like Holdsworth use really tiny strings for all 6 strings on his Synthaxe midi controller guitar. *i think that's partly why most midi 7 stringers put it under E to E and leave the low B out.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 12:06 PM

I purchased an RG7420 for cheap cash off of eBay a few months ago. *It was posted without any pics and when it arrived I figured out why: someone had mounted a Roland MIDI pickup to it and there was a copious amount of mounting goo on the body and a screw hole in the face of the body right where the Rolands tend to go.

On the upside the guitar was almost completely untouched aside from this modification. *The frets looked barely touched and the bridge had no wear on it.

From this fact I kind of assume that it was a failed experiment.

So....on a side note....if anyone knows how to get that mounting glue off of a guitar body I'd really like to hear it. *I've used everything I can think of and it hasn't budged even slightly. *My most drastic measure has been nail polish remover which did nothing to it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 01:11 PM

I think you should be more concerned about how to get the TRS off.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 05:29 PM

Reviews: 2

There are some people that will string up a guitar with nothing but thin strings and just use the guitar as a controller. I use the Yamaha G1D, G50 and Korg N1R. I use the G50 so I can control any Synth module. Utilizing a Korg TRITON Rackmount through the G50 is absolutely amazing. It makes the rolands look like a 286 chip compared to twin ghz computer. But back to the point, a 7-string output would require a totally different hardware interface. Using a peizo bridge/ MIDI controller, you could sum the MIDI to a mono-interface and use all 7 strings. The problem though is that it is mono and you lose all of the hexaphonic capability. There are some company's that have a onboard convertor that terminate to a 5-pin MIDI as opposed to the 14 pin hexaphonic output. The Parker MIDI fly comes to mind. Also check out the iGuitars from Brian Moore. They have a 7-string guitar with MIDI ouput that terminates to a 5-pin MIDI interface. The 7-string is MIDI is possible, just not through the roland 14 pin interface. good luck.

Tags
brian moore , gauge strings , guitar body , midi controller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode