Running a reverb/delay in the signal chain - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Running a reverb/delay in the signal chain

Well, I just got a JCM 800 2204 off ebay, and as most of you know, it doesn't have an effects loop. So my question is, how would a reverb sound at the end of my chain? And if the reverb sounds like crap, do you think I could stick a delay in there and still get that "full" sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 09:53 PM

Verb might be OK if you use very low settings. Delay can work on the front end, but I'd suggest an analog delay, or at least one where you can roll off the highs...that tends to help.
Greg
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Well, I don't really know what you mean by "very low verb settings"...I'm not looking for wishy washy bathroom reverb here, just the kind of verb we all use to thicken up the sound a bit. Delay may be the best way to go....
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else have some input on this??
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 11:37 PM

I too have a JCM800 2204, and have had a hard time getting delay-based effects to sound good in front of the amp. Analog delay sounds good with the amp cleaned up, but the second you crank up the pre-amp it starts to be less and less noticeable. This is a big problem if you want a heavily delayed signal, I'd say the effect is about 1/4 as strong in front of the amp as it should be when in an effects loop. Same with reverb, chorus, flanger, etc. This amp has me using no effects right now except a Tubescreamer, and I have quite the arsenal of 70's vintage chorus, phaser, and flange effects. Kind of a mixed blessing? I know Torres Engineering sells tube buffered effects loop kits if you really need an effects loop (and I have heard nothing but good things about this design). At the moment I just can't bring myself to hack up one of the few remaining single channel virgin Marshalls, so I'm torn as to what to do. If your head has been modded before then add the loop, but I can't say that I will promote modifying any of the features on these gems. A bit of reverb shouldn't be a problem to achieve, but just remeber that next time you want a decent flange or phase effect that you are S.O.L.
-Mike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 09:14 AM

He's right on....delays usually sound like butt in front of a preamp section, particularly bad when you're cranked up. Getting an effects loop put in is a piece of cake for a decent tech. There's tons of room inside those heads for quality wiring jobs....heck while you're at it, throw in a few more stages of gain...modified JCM 800s rule.

As far as delays and chorus pedals go, I love the line 6 pedals, tons of features, true bypass...but expensive. Analog stuff is cool too.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I'll get lucky and this amp I got off ebay already has one built in. What exactly is so *magical* about these JCM 800s anyways?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 08:15 PM

Oh trust me, you'll find out......theres a reason it's "the last great Marshall" to so many....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Can you put effects between the head and the cab? And can I just use a guitar cable to connect the head to the cab?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 02:42 PM

No, I wouldn't do either of those. Use a quality fully sheilded speaker cable between your head and the amp...monsters are nice and are good for life.

Some people think the 800s are sooo nice because they are a minimalist approach to amplification, no frills, no additional circuitry to suck the tone out...just straight ahead smokin tubes.

Tags
chorus pedal , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode