Satch plays the GuitarPort - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Satch plays the GuitarPort

techtv review with Satch jaming along..

http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/prod...418001,00.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 10:09 PM

that was waaaay cool!!!! man, satch sounded great through it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 10:36 PM

Cool.. I think Joe would sound great plugged into Uncle Fester though. I'd be interested in it, but there's no place I can try it out before buying.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 12:01 PM

I actually wasn't too impressed with his tone there... it sounded unnaturally saturated and a little "pinched," IMO...

to each their own, though, and it xdefinately wasn't BAD...

-Drew
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
I actually wasn't too impressed with his tone there... it sounded unnaturally saturated and a little "pinched," IMO...

to each their own, though, and it xdefinately wasn't BAD...

-Drew
you're not the only one The Satch Boogie tone sounded like ****....but the Hendrix tone sounded better
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 12:52 PM

woh, I'm confused after watching that...Joe was playing along with Jimmi on vocals, they said they did that by taking off the guitar part. Are they saying that with one of these things you can do that with any song?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 01:04 PM

Nah, they provide some backing tracks. I bought guitar port yesterday, tried it out and didn't like high-gain sounds all that much (in headphones). Low gain sounds are pretty cool tho, but it doesn't do Fender properly. Compressor and chorus don't have enough flexibility in them. There's only two reverb types (spring, room). I think I'll take it back tomorrow. While to my ears its tones are better than those in POD, it's not quite there yet. I even liked PODxt more than this (it has 2 more amp models that seemed usable for me). There's so much potential behind this thing, I can't believe Line 6 isn't interested in using it at all. It seems that they're degrading the feature set and the quality for their XTs and Vettas to sell better. It'd teach them something if someone wrote some more sophisticated software for this thing.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 02:02 PM

Although, the one good thing about all this is the modeling movement is definately putting some pressure on the major tube amp manufacturers... Whime marshall's lately been pushing the "hybrid" thing with their Mode Four, you could definately argue that the increased flexibility of Line6 products had a lot to do with the introduction of the Marshall TSL series and the Mesa/Boogie Nomad series... I'm hoping that modeling will never quite match a good tube amp because the tube amp makers will be forced to stay one step ahead of the modelers... [/optimism mode]

-Drew
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 03:13 PM

Everything a guitar player needs is in Mesa Mark IIC+. All this digital flexibility isn't worth a damn if there's not a single tone in it that can compete.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 04:34 PM

I hope that one day software or solid state amps become better than any tube amp. hell i wouldn't mind to have my amp in my pocket while jamming online with people in the other side of the world. how cool would that be? i think line 6 is getting damn close to doing it, every new model sounds better and better, now if only they made a portable model to rival the korg pandora series, small and to run in 2 AA batteries.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 08:40 PM

>> hell i wouldn't mind to have my amp in my pocket

I wouldn't either. I'll go buy one no matter the price when it comes close to Mesa, Bogner, VHT or Egnater. Even if it has ONE model in it and no effects.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 09:00 PM

First off look how much it cost. It sounds better than *anything* in its price range (with maybe the exception of some of the korg stuff* And its a great practice tool. Its really tweakable unless your a moron, and to top it off its really cheap. Its a little slow at tracking some whammy things, but its still wicked to play around with.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 09:30 PM

And on top of all that it's not worth the money I paid for it. It's basically a cheap (I say cheap because there's considerable amount of noise coming out even when guitar isn't plugged in - I say Line 6 spends $5 on both chips, $7 at best) A/D D/A interface with some software running on my PC. I've spent a whole evening and all day on tweaking this POS, and a good high-gain tone just isn't there. It's either muffled and distant or gives a sandpaper treatment to my brain. It's just way too harsh and you can even hear that in that Satch clip. Even my old Korg Pandora PX1 gives me a better tone (not enough dynamic range, tho; it clips sometimes). And I can't understand why they've crippled the software so much. I can't even adjust the level of chorus in my tone for chrissakes! Compressor only has a Ratio control, no attack and release, no knee shape choice. Two reverb models one of which is spring reverb, how do you like that?

There's an upside to that. I had a lot of fun playing my TOL100 this evening.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 09:46 PM

well, i still beleive its up to the users taste. i personally like my pod pro (though i need to get it to record with a sonic maximizer to get the best out of it) it does everything i ask of it, hopefully the guitar port is gonna be just as cool, i might pick one up.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 03:31 PM

I just moved into a apartment and cant really play my dule recto. head because of the volume. I bought the guitar port and must say it is the best $150 i ever spent. I think it sounds absolutelt great. It's like having a great little practice amp with built in efx that sound great to. Plus some of the jam track can really sharpin up you're chops.

Tags
backing track , boogie nomad , guitar port , mark iic , marshall tsl , mesa mark , pod pro , practice amp , satch boogie , solid state amp , solid state amps , sonic maximizer , spring reverb , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode