Satriani - Marshall 30th / Peavy JSX - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Satriani - Marshall 30th / Peavy JSX

As you may know Satch used to use a Marshall 30th Anniversary until signing a contract with Peavey for the new Peavey JSX "following his specs" which are in fact pretty similar to the Marshalls.

Wanting to a/b them I thought it would be good to compare his last 2 DVDs.

- Live in SF (2001) - using the Marshall
- G-3 (2003) - using the Peavey

I found the Peavey very thin and without pounch comparing it to the Marshall very rich and fat.

...... money money money money ......

Have you A/B them with your own guitar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 04:25 PM

Re: Satriani - Marshall 30th / Peavy JSX

I had a couple of the blue Tolex Marshall 6100 heads and definitely liked them more than any of the JSXs that I've played through. Of course, the 6100 is the only Marshall I've ever had that I actually liked. The Peavey isn't a bad amp once you spend some time with it, but I definltely liked the Marshall better.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 04:36 PM

i thought the g3 sounded WAY!!!!!!!! better than live in SF just because of the amp and by the way i think he is using XXX's in g3
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 12:33 AM
rgr

Those are prototype JSXs in XXX shells, the new shells weren't made yet.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:57 AM

I liked the Marshall better too.

I didn't find his Peavey tone to be thin, just unbalanced. He had a good amount of low end but the mids were just not there.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 06:12 PM

How much should be the price of a marshall 30th 6100lm?
and whats is the difference between the 6100lm and the 6100?
thank you!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Let's say something between 850 and 900 is ok.

Marshall started the 6100 with EL34s and later changed the model switching to 5881 (6L6).

Other than this they are exactly the same.

Nethless to say how easy is to make the 6100LM run with EL34s again for a tech and that's VERY desirable IMHO

I am in love with this amp.... I just can't stop playing it.....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufes
As you may know Satch used to use a Marshall 30th Anniversary until signing a contract with Peavey for the new Peavey JSX "following his specs" which are in fact pretty similar to the Marshalls.

Wanting to a/b them I thought it would be good to compare his last 2 DVDs.

I found the Peavey very thin and without pounch comparing it to the Marshall very rich and fat.

...... money money money money ......

Have you A/B them with your own guitar?

i have found that peavey cabs are crap. So if you played the jsx through a peavey cab it was more than likly the cab . PLay a jsx through a marshall 1960s with celestion g-12t7s in it or a good cab with vintage 30s . You have a smoking rig . The jsx be thin, i doubt that, i know when i played the xxx it was super hot and chuncky. Also the dampaning switch may have been set to tight which would also make it sound a bit thinner.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2217
i have found that peavey cabs are crap. So if you played the jsx through a peavey cab it was more than likly the cab . PLay a jsx through a marshall 1960s with celestion g-12t7s in it or a good cab with vintage 30s . You have a smoking rig . The jsx be thin, i doubt that, i know when i played the xxx it was super hot and chuncky. Also the dampaning switch may have been set to tight which would also make it sound a bit thinner.
I am just comparing according to what I hear listening Satch. I guess he uses the same speakers....

On the other hand, I am not saying it is a bad amp or saying it sounds bad per-se. I am saying it sounds worst than the Marshall.

However, this is just my opinion. It's ok if you spent 1K on it
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:22 PM

i thought you ment you played one and didn't like it .

I personally hate marshall amps, thier cabs are ok, but amp wise i have yet to find a marshall i liked .
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Gex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2217

Dude, no way man.

I have a JSX, and for a while I played though a Marshall 1960B cab. No midrange, thin highs, and a woofy, muddy low end.

I traded it in for a Peavey XXX cab, it made a MASSIVE difference. Tight bass, defined chords, and a sweet midrange, and clean, fat highs.

The construction quality of the cab itself is top notch, its several notches above the shoddy Marshall cabinet.

If you like the Marshall cabinet, thats cool. No problems with that.

But when you start knockin one of the most solid cabs Ive ever come across, then we got problems.

This cab sounds GREAT with the JSX, Peavey amps always sound best with Peavey cabs, in my experience. They make a hell of a good cab, at least the XXX, JSX, 5150, and Classic 412's are.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 01:58 AM

^^ The Marshall 1960B cabinet is crap if you don't replace the speakers. The G12M75 are exactly as you described them, no midrange, a lot of lows but often muddy and unbalanced mid and highs. They do a good 80s distorted tone, but that is it. I put Classic Leads in mine and there is simply no comparison.

I haven't played the Peavey cabinets, but I do not see them as being as bad as a cabinet with G12M75s in it.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Let's say something between 850 and 900 is ok.

Marshall started the 6100 with EL34s and later changed the model switching to 5881 (6L6).

Other than this they are exactly the same.

Nethless to say how easy is to make the 6100LM run with EL34s again for a tech and that's VERY desirable IMHO

I am in love with this amp.... I just can't stop playing it.....
There are 6100 with 5881s too. The LM denominates a change o the lead channel to make it more modern sounding.
Algiman is online  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 03:44 PM
tTz

Quote:

I thought that on several occasions on Live in SF, his tone was way too bassy, and I much preferred the Peavey's in the G3 DVD. Having said that, I saw a video clip of Surfing With The Alien a few days ago, played with Marshalls, and it sounded absolutely amazing, better then the Peavey's on the G3 DVD.

And to stray even further from the original question, the Peavey amps used on the Live in Anaheim webcast sounded even better imo.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 06:56 PM

Talking Re: Satriani - Marshall 30th / Peavy JSX

Try a Swedish JJLabs 4x12" with open back. Place it near a Wall and theres huge amount of "bottom".... Look it up at http://www.jam.se
By the way Mr Vai was there 5/10 promoting and signing Legacy´s (pity i was at home that day)...

Tags
distorted tone , marshall amp , marshall cabs , peavey amp , peavey jsx , tight bass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode