Satriani Mic Package any good? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Satriani Mic Package any good?

I'm trying to find the cheapest dynamic+condenser mic combination the Satch pack goes for about $300 is this as cheap as it's going to get? I was hoping to spend only about $150-$200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 10:08 PM

Re: Satriani Mic Package any good?

sorry to say, but they say CAD on them...not necessarily great mics. for $300, you really should look into the akg perception series for condensors and either the shure sm-57 or sennheiser md609 for dynamic. after you get those, you'll want to get a good mic preamp(which will pull double duty as a DI for your guitar and bass for shooting straight into your DAW). you know what is kinda sad? that most of the guitar playing community is fairly ignorant as far as studio recording go. most manufacturers know this, so we end up going into purchases blindly. CAD mics are passable, but really don't measure up to the likes of rode, akg, neumann, etc. CAD reminds me more of the mxl, octava, peavey, and behringer. the lower end audio technica as well. if you just have to have it because satch uses it, then have at it. for better versatility and use, the options i gave will more than likely give you better mileage.

rich
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks rich but to clarify is this the mic your speaking of?

http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php...c41b68447bac75

If so the this plus an SM57 would actually be $30 cheaper than the CAD package (at my retail store). Is the AKG Perception 100 any good?

When it comes to recording gear I don't think there is as much discussion about the subject by comparison to amps, guitars pedals etc.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 PM

i have heard GREAT things on the perception series. i have in my mic stash the akg c1000, c2000, and c3000 mics. incredible for the money.

rich
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 12:36 PM

I just did a little recording shootout to try my new Cascade DR2. I setup the DR2, Shure sm57, Shure sm7 and MXL 2001. The 2001 has been my standard for my own amp but the sm7 has been killer for most everyone else. I recorded thru the same 4 channel Focusrite ISA428 into Protools with levels well-matched and recorded several bars of clean followed by several bars of raunchy rectifier crunch (Vox Valvetronix ad120vtx). The sm57 was the clear loser with the DR2 and sm7 being the clear winners(both are excellent and I would be happy to record thru either). I bought the Cascade as I just couldn't afford a Royer(the best guitar amp mic bar none). Cascade has less expensive ribbons that will likely sound the same. I chose the DR2 as it is a dual ribbon so the back sounds the same as the front, which will allow for M/S mic setups(already tried this and it sounds awesome on a stereo source). The only time I use an sm57 is if a player demands it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 05:43 PM

what's really funny is Joe Satriani runs like 90% of his guitar work direct and I'm sure when he's mic'ing it it's probably a mix between direct and mic'd tone.

Running direct and using an SM57 is usually fine for most guitar applications
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 05:18 AM

Reviews: 65

I would consider the AKG D22, it is IMHO better and clearer than the SM57.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 03:10 PM

Hmmm, at the risk of offending people, LOL at CAD mics and at AKG C-series. Sorry, but they are brutal to a man. Utter, utter garbage.

Satch mic pack sounds like a con.

SM7 is a great, great mic. 57 is also good but you seem to get good ones and bad ones, I guess cos they are churned out so fast.

Why do you want both a dynamic AND a condensor? For electric and acoustic? Or to record stereo with both.

I would always, always recommend getting one good mic instead of 2 poor (or cheaper) ones.

If you want to get 1 mic, there's 3 options. You don't mention what you've got preamplification wise.

1. Dynamic - good, hard-wearing, SM57, Audix i5 are cheap ones and ok, the e609 is good too.

2. Condensor - smoother more expensive and harder to buy at this range. If you were wanting something for both electric and acoustic, this would be a good choice, and I like a Rode K2 within your budget for electric distorted guitars.

3. Ribbon - as mentioned the Royer R122 is a hot mic for electric guitar. I am sure that Oktava, or another Russian firm, make a ribbon mic thats very highly recommended, and I'm sure that there's just been a newly released cheaper ribbon thats getting raves.

Enlighten us on your usage and I'll try to remember what those last 2 were. R122 will set you back $800 easy even second hand I think.

And to RSVampire - serious? Satriana records 90% direct? I don't think much of his guitar tone, but then all high-gain guitar tones leave me kinda cold... I find that hard to believe tho...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:32 AM

Checked. Nothing in ribbons sub-$600 to recommend ><
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Banned

Post some clips of mic comparisons if you can.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Checked. Nothing in ribbons sub-$600 to recommend ><
Actually, the Cascade ribbons are highly recommended. I bought one of the NADY ribbons when they came out and it was indeed a piece of junk, but the Fat Head and the DR2 are really surprising. But if you don't want to try one, I will be content to have a secret weapon. The Fat Head won some award while the DR2 is a new model and outside of NAMM, no one seems to know about it and it doesn't even show in most Cascade literature. Is a Royer better? Absolutely, but at a grand, its out of reach for many of us. BTW, ribbon mics should be stored upright and should never see phantom power. Also, never blow into them as the ribbons are delicate.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:17 PM

To Darin: were you asking for mic comparisons from me? I can show you SM7 vs SM57 vs K2 vs i5 vs e609. K2 is a bit out the price range and so is the SM7 but both fit in if you buy them secondhand. I hate buying 2nd-hand mics.

I can also chuck in the KELs which I often recommend, the Studio Projects C5s I think they are which are quite good chinese mics, but not that suitable for electric guitar, a Soundelux iFet7, Microtech Gefell m509 or something, some Josephson pencils, the Sennheiser 421 which I should have mentioned earlier for the OP, some Audiotechnica consendors, the R122, and I think thats about my cabinet. I'd happily use all of these bar the C5s on an electric guitar, but I usually use a 57, or a 609, or a K2 or a mix of 2 of the former and the latter.

And I bet I could borrow a C1000 and C2000 and throw them in through some good preamps.

Let me know if its something you want me to do, 4 weeks prolly to even get the time to do it, but if ppl think its worthwhile, I'll do it, would be fun.

To Albee: I personally can't recommend the Fathead, and it was one of the new cheap ones being raved about but nobody I know uses them and I read that them NADY and somebody else (edit: turns out to be several other budget ribbons) are all made in the same factory, and just repackaged by the OEM seller, so I dismissed them.

The other thing I looked at was the Oktava, I've always swithered about the 3-series, but I think the quality control means some people get a secret weapon, and other people get a doorstop. I thought they'd fixed these issues but apparently not.

At what, $100, I would happily throw one of these Fatheads into the test. And I have my finger poised on the DR2 with the Lundahl - albee you have this and recommend it? For the price, I'll give both a shot....

I'm gonna look into where they are made while I wait for your reponse.

Last edited by Jamie; 03-20-2008 at 12:28 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 10:19 PM

I did not get the Lundahl transformer, but still am very pleased with the sound going in thru a Focusrite ISA428 class A pre. I have yet to experiment with the different impedance settings so I may find one that makes it even better(am presently recording on the ISA110 setting). As with any figure 8 mic, the sound of the room can be a consideration vs. a cardioid mic.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Banned

I use a 57. I'd like to hear a clip of a 57 alone and a 57 with condensor together.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixelion View Post
I'm trying to find the cheapest dynamic+condenser mic combination the Satch pack goes for about $300 is this as cheap as it's going to get? I was hoping to spend only about $150-$200.
Ixelion, what exactly are you looking to record with the two? If you're just tracking electric guitars, well, multi-mic setups can be a lot of fun and all, but the added complexity (phasing issues can become huge) and the added expense (you need two mics instead of one) can make quite a barrier for the home hobbyist.

I'm not going to pretend to be some kind of pro or anything, but I've been a bedroom hobbyist for probably almost a decade now, since college, and for the last three or four years have been gainfully enough employed that I didn't feel bad buying more than one or two mics. It's worth noting that while occasionally I'll screw around with more than one mic on a gutiar cabinet, 95% of the time I just throw a SM57 or an Audix i5 up maybe an inch or inch and a half or so off the grille and leave it at that. Acoustics, sure. Drums, of course. But electric guitars, really it's tough to beat a SM57 or similar mic close mic'ing the cab.

If you're looking to primarily record electric guitars, save your cash and buy a SM57, and spend some time really getting the hang of micing an amp with a single mic. After you've gotten the hang of that (and it'll take a while - getting a good sounding guitar recording is an absolute art form so expect to spend a LOT of time being dissatisfied with your tone before you begin to get results you can live with), at that point maybe it'd make sense to grab a second mic - an i5 or an e906 both make great SM57 alternatives.

Especially if you're new to recording, dealing with two mics at once is such a nightmare that it'll probably just turn you off and make you want to buy a Pod.

Jamie - I actually kind of dig the AKG C series, too. Sure, they're no Neumans or anything, but depending on what you're using them for, they're on par with anything else in their price range. I'm sure the Rode K2 is a great mic, but it's also twice the cost of a C3000B, and more than twice his $300 budget. As a hobbyist who's not hoping to make any money off his recordings, I've gotten more mileage out of my C3000B and a pair of C1000s's than I would have out of a single K2 - tough to use one mic for overheads or for a stereo acoustic recording, you know?

RSVampire - the last couple albums have been direct, but Joe's guitars sound a lot more natural this time around. My money says he mic'd up for most of this album.

Tags
condenser mic , electric guitar , guitar playing , joe satriani , sounding guitar , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode