Schaller Sure Claw and Trem Stop - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Schaller Sure Claw and Trem Stop

Ive used nothing but Les Pauls (new and vintage) and a non-floating vintage strat for years now and about a year ago I bought a new Jem7v. Ive always thought it was a great guitar but, being used to LP's, I never play live with it becouse of the Floyd. I cant stand not being able to do double stops or alternate tunnings or be completely screw'd if I have a break. When your used to a guitar like a LP, the small problems of a floyd bridge are much more noticeable.

Anyone whos had experience with either a sure claw or trem-stop please be descriptive about your thoughts and feelings having used it. I dont know much about the sure claw but it looks similair to the Ibanez Back-stop. Does it serve the same purpose?

My only concerns are defacing the guitar with the trem-stop since it mounts behind the floyd to the face of the guitar.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

I just did a search and found some info on the sure claw. Seems its just for spring tension. And I dont really want to deface the guitar with the stop. Oh well.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 06:26 PM

I've got a Sure-Claw on my J-Custom RG-GOLD1. It's a cool little gadget, but is hardly necessary. Basically, I can adjust the tremolo spring tension without removing the backplate. It looks neat, but...not something I'd ever install as an aftermarket mod.

I put a Backstop on my VWH, and love it! They're hard to find, but not impossible. Definitely worth the effort though
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 08:02 PM

Dan,
The Backstop goes into the spring cavity of the guitar, so no visible defacing. There ideally should be a routed shelf made for the Backstop, but I'm willing to bet that many have installed it right on the angled floor of the spring cavity.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 10:48 PM

A Tremstop isn't a Backstop. The tremstop sticks on the face of the guitar, and has a "hook" to clip the trem bar into. You just clip it in, and the trem doesn't move up or down. I have one, but haven't installed it yet.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 12:11 AM

Ah yes, now I remember - I've seen pics of that.
The only wrench in that is that it has to be set up /precisely/ to match with the swing of the bar, so any minute change of angle of the bridge, for whatever reason, would require a readjustment, otherwise it'll go just that tiny bit out of tune when the bar's locked into the holder.

It's just a stick-on thing though, isn't it? No screws required. But, I can see where someone would not want to put something with heavy adhesive onto the face of their instrument...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Ah yes, now I remember - I've seen pics of that.
The only wrench in that is that it has to be set up /precisely/ to match with the swing of the bar, so any minute change of angle of the bridge, for whatever reason, would require a readjustment, otherwise it'll go just that tiny bit out of tune when the bar's locked into the holder.
Right. But the adjustment is very easy. I thought it was a tad expensive at $20, but after getting it (mail order, G- Center) I remarked at how well designed it was.

Quote:
It's just a stick-on thing though, isn't it? No screws required. But, I can see where someone would not want to put something with heavy adhesive onto the face of their instrument...
It comes with double sided tape and screws - it's your choice. I'm not sure how I'll mount it. Probably try the tape, and if I like it and it doesn't get in my way, I'll mount it for good.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 11:18 PM

Keep us posted as to how it works out. It's simple, but interesting as solutions go.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

I dont think Im gonna do either.

I may put the Claw in just to make tension adjustments that much easier. Seems to me they should do that with all trems. Why take the cover off and screw in both sides when you can just drill a hole on the cover then just use one allen key to make ajdustments in seconds.

Thats only a change in convienence though.

Im not gonna put the stop on.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 09:20 AM

Shove a pile of pennies (taped together) between either side of the tremelo block and the walls of the trem cavity. You can even use a block of wood cut/sanded to the right size if youre feeling swish. Simple, and it works well enough for me
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Ive actually done that in the past. Its a simple mod and requires no work on the instrument. Just the right cut of wood to be stuck in there and the string tension holds it there since its pined against the block and the body.

Ive been thinking very hard about going that route. As long as I dont use the trem I should be OK. Im not a big trem person and its a shame more guitars like the Jem arent made hardtail. Dont get me wrong. I bought the Jem becouse at times, like all guitarists, I like to Vai it up and shred and do all kindsa whammy stuff. It just seems all the guitars with the super fast, super slim, ultra comfort designs, they always incorporate a Floyd. I think a decent amount of guitar players would buy these types of guitars but they dont becouse they dont like floyds.

Ahhh... I play my LP's 90% of the time anyway.

Tags
guitar players , les paul , les pauls , spring cavity , string tension , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode