In search of a good effects processor - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

In search of a good effects processor

Since you guys seem to be a lot more passionate, informed, and intelligent than that freakshow at harmonycentral, I thought I would come here for advice.

I'm looking for a good multi effects processor that can give me a good variety of high quality effects. Distortion tones are not that big of a deal, I'm looking more into clean sounds and such, like chorus, wah, volume, stuff like that. More textures than whole new tones. It will be going into my shiny new mark IV head, so I'm already covered for distortions.

I've seen stuff like a Boss GT-6, but I really haven't heard great things about those. My DS-1 is ok, but Boss stuff doesn't seem to be the best sounding stuff out there.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 06:10 PM

tc electronic G force.

Rules.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 07:03 PM

or the g-major
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm um that's very nice, but I guess I should specify that I'm looking for something that sits on the floor and that I can step on. With wah pedals and stuff. I don't have a rack and I want to be able to make presets and change them mid-song.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 08:26 PM

From my own experience, I can tell you that the Digitech rack units (2120/2112) are great pieces IF you have the time, patience, and know-how (IQ?) to learn their ins and outs. If not, look elsewhere. I have a 2120 and it seems to have every effect I could ever think of, and it'll do almost anything I could ever want it to -- if I can just figure out how to tell it what to do. No, it's not a **POLITICALLY INCORRECT STATEMENT DELETED**.

Edit - Sorry, didn't see your last post. Obviously, it's a rack unit, but you can get a foot controller that will control the unit, so you can change from patch to patch midsong without messing with the unit itself. You can assign the expession pedal for volume, wah, or even to change settings, such as gain, within a patch.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 08:33 AM

you really can't go wrong with the g-major..it's major advantages over the digitech units (at least in my eyes) is its spillover feature that keeps your delay or reverb from one patch going (decaying) when you switch over to another patch and its incredible transparency. it really is a top notch unit and has a very reasonable cost to feature ratio. and it can be controlled via midi footcontroller (and you can use its switcher to control your head too--something the floor units can't do) basically the multi fx floor units in general aren't going to have quite the same sound quality/fidelity of a nice rack unit (although the boss gt-6 is a great unit). you could do the g-major and a power conditioner (which would offer some protection for your mark iv) in a 2 space rack and would have a great set-up. i can understand your reluctance towards rack gear, but given the high quality of your amp, do you want to compromise your sound with a sub-par processor? would you run a $70 hondo into your $1500 amp?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 01:12 PM

I agree with somata genarally rack units have a much better functions and are generally cheaper in cost to price ratio. So I think that you should include your price range that would narrow the search down allot. You need not only look at rack systems because things like the pod, v-amp and yahmahas' stomp series do allot but they don't do everything (not nearly as much as the rack mounted ones!). Another thing to look at is buying a rack mounted unit and then finding a midi foot controller you like and pairing them up. You should check out the very-expensive-but-worth-every-penny lexicon mpx 2.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 01:48 PM

Reviews: 1
If you take into consideration that you have heard mediocre reviews of the GT-6 etc, consider this, any floor based mulifex unit is not going to be as nice sounding as a we made rack unit, one space constraints limit how much can be put into a unit and therefore you end up with a so-so sounding machine. Your best bet is get a G-major or Rocktron unit like the Intellifex etc... and get a midi foot controller to control parameters realtime on the fly. You can find the G major used, for around $300-$400 depending on the source and many times that price will include the controller. If not, I have the ART X-15 foot controller that has 2 treadle based expression pedals and can be switched around to work like a stomp box array where you can select each effect on or off, or use it to change patches. its a little more work, but WELL worth it in live situations.I use my controllers to add or reduce reverb on solo patches or control a leslie cabinet rotor speed (simulated) in some of my clean patches.

You can control ANY parameter that is adjustable, delay time, repeats, mix, compression, noise gate, delay ducking, phase rates, you name it, with the expression controllers.

This is really going to be your best bet.

Good luck,

Bamm
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Freeman
Hmmm um that's very nice, but I guess I should specify that I'm looking for something that sits on the floor and that I can step on. With wah pedals and stuff. I don't have a rack and I want to be able to make presets and change them mid-song.
you can't do that with a rack processor?

Tags
expression pedal , expression pedals , lexicon mpx , midi foot , midi foot controller , midi footcontroller , multi effects processor , rack system , space rack , stomp box , wah pedal , wah pedals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode