Secrets of an ex-Guitar Center emplyee - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Secrets of an ex-Guitar Center emplyee

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=277402

I thought that was a pretty interesting read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 PM

Re: Secrets of an ex-Guitar Center emplyee

It's not necessarily the people working at GC, it's the commission-based, cut-throat, sales quota-driven work environment of any large retailer that makes the GC experience what it is. The comment by davess23 on that page really resonates with me:

The 90-day average tenure for its salespeople goes a long way to explaining what GC is really about. It speaks to a sales model used by the most competitive, cost-averse and volume-hungry operations. This isn't an indictment, just an observation that means you need to deal with GC the same way you'd deal with any major retailer.

My rule for GC is to get any notion that it's a "music store" out of my head. That kind of thinking can really screw you up. Music is likely to be way too near and dear to your heart to allow you to cope rationally. Don't kid yourself that their merchandise, emotionally engaging as it may be for you, is anything to GC except inventory, units to be moved. I just treat GC people the same way I treat employees at Best Buy or Home Depot or whathaveyou: I try to be demanding but nice, I don't expect kindred spirits who love what I love and whose sole desire is my happiness, but I don't dehumanize the help either. And I do expect that they will at all times act in their own best interests, not mine.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 05:43 PM

i think the large chain stores take the salt out of people like rich who im sure have heard a 1000 times "GUITAR CENTER HAS IT FOR THIS PRICE".

Ill pay extra for quality service, and peace of mind, which i dont get at guitar center, the mom and pop stores are what its all about. Large chain stores like walmart, best buy and compusa drain the life out of communitys which would benefit more from locally ran businesses
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 05:46 PM

As I always thought.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 08:34 PM

cool read
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:36 PM

All that stuff is true about ANY commission-based retail store.
Give your money to people that are honest with you and help you out.
Whether they're jerks or not is going to depend on the management.

FWIW the guys at my local GC have always been extremely cool and helpful, and not tried to bs me.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 12:47 AM

We have a great tool today called the internet, the only role of the store nowadays should be a middle man to get a product from the factory to your hands, they have a motive to manipulate your understanding of a product to get as much money off you as possible so the best thing to do is just walk in, buy what you want and walk out, completely ignore everything they say to you.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 03:29 AM

Funny, as much as others hate GC, I love mine. I've had NOTHING but good experiences with the staff there. Partially because I know them all. It used to be a fairly large mom and pop store, and when GC bought it out they kept the staff; so I know (almost) everyone there quite well.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 AM

First off, thanks for sharing that.

My personal experiences have actually been good with GC and my only complaint is the condition of the sales floor products. Seeing NEW PRS's with chips is just sad and not being able to try out instuments due to crap strings is a killer too.

I just bought an RGT3020 from a GC in CA (I live in FL) over the phone and I got a GREAT deal while the sales guy was VERY helpful and even used his personal cell phone to send me a few extra pics I requested. I followed up after the sale with a Thank You call to that sales guy when the guitar arrived.

The first time I bought something from GC, I was in DC at the 4 corners store and I ended up walking out with a new Gibson Explorer for less than a used one they had on the floor (paid less than $900 with the case, strap, strap locks and extra strings). No complaints on that deal either
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:25 PM

I love how hes all about having you contact management or even corporate because they actually care about the customer.. I'm sorry, but if I have to do that in order to get good service in a store I say F GC. I wouldn't want to go through that hassle, and if I did, then I would surely never go back anyways.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 02:29 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Secrets of an ex-Guitar Center emplyee

It was interesting to read that! although a lot of what is said in there is true,
Guitar center's customer service blows big time for the most part, and it's no wonder you see new faces every time you walk in the store considering the sales policies and pressure GC puts on their sales staff!
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 02:51 PM

yeah, 90 days for average employee lifespan is appalling.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 03:06 PM

Thats quite interesting. No guitar centers in Canada though.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:36 PM

That's actually an excellent read, and pretty much spot-on. didn't know that about letters, either, that they track that - I just dealt with a relatively helpful guy down at the one near me, I should probably send a letter off to corporate saying more or less "thanks for not hiring an idiot."
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:48 PM

i pretty much got a free 15 watt amp at GC cuz one of the sales guys messed up, and sold the guitar i ordered!! so the manager was all cool about it.

Tags
music store , strap lock , strap locks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode