Seeking advice on genz-benz gflex 2x12 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Seeking advice on genz-benz gflex 2x12

so my set up now consists of a mesa dual recto head and matching recto 4x12 cab. my friend owns a genz-benz gflex 2x12 with a marshall jcm 900 and im thinking of switching my 4x12 to the g-b 2x12. the mesa sounds good, but i dont like the weight and lack of durability of the tolex on it.(ive only had it for 1 and 1/12 years and there are several tears and gouges in the tolex. my friend has owned his cab longer than ive owned mine, takes less care of his and somehow, im jealous of him...

any advice for me?

peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:55 PM

Re: Seeking advice on genz-benz gflex 2x12

did you try your head with the gflex? If you did and you liked it just get one. If you didn't try it I recommend that you do.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:24 AM

i didn't like the g-flex 12x12 cab . the speakers were like a bad celestion g12t-75 copy that were overly harsh in the mids and highs , imo i hated the way it sounded with my el34 equppied mesa mark 3 . i dont think it did the el diablo head well either . The bass was huge but it wasn't my thing , maybe if the cab was loaded with vintage 30s it would be cool but i wasn't impressed with the cab .

i can narrow it down to the cab and not my head or the el diablo because they had a tribal 2x12 cab with eminience speakers in it and it sounded very very nice with the tribal and el diablo . i forget the exact model eminience speakers but they were apart of the patriot/redcoat lines .
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 01:02 PM

Here's my cabs....

I don't think they are for everybody; especially if you're into a more vintage, midrangey sort of tone.

We play pretty heavy hard rock/metal and they are awesome for that, but I still say that some things sound incredible thru them, some don't.

I ran an early Dual Recto thru one of them and loved it.
I had a Recording Recto pre that I ran with a VHT 2/90/2 and loved it.
But again, my tone is more scooped than your average Marshall guy, so it excels at that.

TONS of low end possible with these guys.
Right now my rig consists of my Egnater M4 -> Rocktron Xpression -> VHT 2/90/2 -> cabs.

These also sound awesome if you use a Crate Powerblock as a power section only with just about any preamp.

I have ran these six cabs in a wet/dry/wet setup using 2 cabs per section and it's insane how huge and awesome it sounds.

These aren't your grandpappy's guitar cabinets...

I've never tried other speakers in them, but would love to...though they fit my style so well, I've never been so motivated yet.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 02:00 PM

yeah they have a huge ass low end , i gotta give them that . if you want thump in your sound when you palm mute it gives it to you .

damn man that is a lot of cabs , if you dont mind me asking why so many ?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
yeah they have a huge ass low end , i gotta give them that . if you want thump in your sound when you palm mute it gives it to you .

damn man that is a lot of cabs , if you dont mind me asking why so many ?
I started out using two of them live and really liked the way it sounded, then we started doing bigger venues and so I picked up two more to put on the other side of the stage since I'm the only guitarist...it helps fill out the sound on stage without relying on a soundguy to put my guitars in the monitor mix.
Once I had four, I thought, well...what the heck, might as well have six and build a pyramid out of 'em! HA!
<see pic>
It's not very feasible or reasonable in a pyramid like that, but I guess when you're bored...

Anyways; I only take 2 to smaller gigs and 4 to bigger gigs right now, leaving two to sit at home, but I gotta say, when they are stacked 3 high, it works out really well because I can hear myself better with them at ear height, so I may start taking either 3 or 6 instead of 2 or 4.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:14 PM

the two middle cabs look like they could roll off easily. do they have wheel locks?
that looks MASSIVE with 6 and the pyramid is just sick!! you need to shoot for an endorsement with them Jim.
BTW - how's the Wolfie?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
the two middle cabs look like they could roll off easily. do they have wheel locks?
that looks MASSIVE with 6 and the pyramid is just sick!! you need to shoot for an endorsement with them Jim.
BTW - how's the Wolfie?
No wheel locks, they don't roll too easily though, so they don't move around.
I don't use them in a pyramid, so they won't roll off, it's just not practical.

The Wolfgang I got from you is STILL my main guitar that I play almost every day. I've had two or three others since I got that one and they have come and gone, but I LOVE this one.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:11 PM

next time you come across a good condition stnd USA, let me know

i miss that Wolfie
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Banned

I almost have to laugh at guys that have a bunch of cabs. Either they don't use a PA at practice, or don't play gigs where there's a PA really like to tear the heads off the people in the front. Very few players even mic more than one speaker and that doesn't even have to be very loud. A mic can pick up a singer voice just fine, so if you're at least as loud as the human voice, you're loud enough. But it's looks darn cool though.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:57 PM

I had one for years.....Don't get one. The speakers that come in it suck(super scooped). The cab has big bass, but it's too much man...also boosts some of the low mids. It's a "wierd" sounding cab. Save your money and get an older marshall 4x12 with greenbacks or vintage 30's, or a splawn cab with your choice of speakers. And if you're really wanting to invest in something good go for a bogner 4x12(though the splawn is just as good)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:44 AM

i wish i could walk into a store and see Splawn and Bogner gear. you must have some nice stores around you. i'm an hour and a half to two hrs from anything that size and just lucky my local store has Fender, Ibanez, Taylor and Mesa at least.
so if you put a set of Vin 30's in the G Flex cab it would be an improvement enough to be worthy to get a broader range of styles or would it still be too bassy? i dig the look of the cabs but would need at least a pair to be able to put a head on top.
i'll stick with my old faithful, vertical Mesa Half-back 2x12. it kicks alot of 4x12's in the teeth and with the half-back enclosure i get a great balance of frequencies and it is stock. too bad Mesa stopped making them.
heck, i still have a custom 2x12 Wiggy cab that Peavey custom made for me to match a 5150 or XXX that i put Carvin's version of the Vin 30's in that just collects dust. too bad 'cause it looks pretty cool. maybe i'll try it as a side fill some day off my Mesa MarkIII head - i just hate to carry so much gear around, it's a real drag.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
i wish i could walk into a store and see Splawn and Bogner gear. you must have some nice stores around you. i'm an hour and a half to two hrs from anything that size and just lucky my local store has Fender, Ibanez, Taylor and Mesa at least.
so if you put a set of Vin 30's in the G Flex cab it would be an improvement enough to be worthy to get a broader range of styles or would it still be too bassy? i dig the look of the cabs but would need at least a pair to be able to put a head on top.
i'll stick with my old faithful, vertical Mesa Half-back 2x12. it kicks alot of 4x12's in the teeth and with the half-back enclosure i get a great balance of frequencies and it is stock. too bad Mesa stopped making them.
heck, i still have a custom 2x12 Wiggy cab that Peavey custom made for me to match a 5150 or XXX that i put Carvin's version of the Vin 30's in that just collects dust. too bad 'cause it looks pretty cool. maybe i'll try it as a side fill some day off my Mesa MarkIII head - i just hate to carry so much gear around, it's a real drag.
I tried that, I put a set of hellatones in it, doesn't help. Vintage 30s aren't bass shy at all....more low mids actually than the stock speakers too. It's just the whole design of the cab. Also, the front baffle is MDF. You can just trust me that you can get a splawn cab(they are made of 13 ply birch). What you have is great. If you like the mesa cab that much, I suggest keeping your eye on the bay for a matching one...Or sell it and get 2 splawn OS 2x12s. I agree, more than you know lol. I have an 8 space shock rack and a 4 space that sits on top of it....have a 412 with greenies, and I'm about to get a matching one so I can run stereo without blowing up my 4x12. I live in an apartment with a huge flight of stairs....it's hell man. Seems it's just the nature of the beast if you want the sound. I don't really like 2x12s for sound as a rule any more...I gave up on them. Good luck man.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:16 AM

i always liked 4x12 for the shear power and amount of air they push but i wouldn't be shy about putting this half-back Mesa against a 4x12. it handles 250wtts which isn't bad for a 2x12.
i couldn't imagine carrying something like this or a (gulp) 4x12 up and down a flight or two of stairs. i would be hard pressed to add another cab to my rig until i have roadies to carry all my stuff. i use a 1x12 Ampeg JetII as a side fill and it puts out plenty of tone and enough volume to handle the duties for now.
what does MDF mean?
thanks for the info.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
i always liked 4x12 for the shear power and amount of air they push but i wouldn't be shy about putting this half-back Mesa against a 4x12. it handles 250wtts which isn't bad for a 2x12.
i couldn't imagine carrying something like this or a (gulp) 4x12 up and down a flight or two of stairs. i would be hard pressed to add another cab to my rig until i have roadies to carry all my stuff. i use a 1x12 Ampeg JetII as a side fill and it puts out plenty of tone and enough volume to handle the duties for now.
what does MDF mean?
thanks for the info.
Medium Density Fiberboard. I hear ya. I'm thinking of just running mono because of that, but it will be a loss in my rig. Ah the choices. If I could only get the greenback sound, in a higher wattage speaker.

Tags
dual recto , mesa cab , mesa dual , mesa dual recto , mesa mark , palm mute , rocktron xpression

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode