Seeking guitar compressor recos - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Seeking guitar compressor recos

I've been playing around with my rack (!?) recently, and I've decided that I really like the sound of a compressor before the preamp. Unfortunately, my G-major already has a compressor, just at the wrong spot in the signal chain.

So I'm looking for a rack-mountable compressor (really only needs to be single channel) that can be switched via 1/4" relay (so the G-Major can control it). Anybody have any suggestions for compressors that can do this? (I currently have an Alesis 3630--great compressor, but unfortunately cannot be switched).

I know there are lots of compressor pedals out there, but my goal is to stay rack-mountable so I don't have any more things to step on!

Thanks,
--B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 03:58 AM

There is the Boss Cl50 (half rack)
review and user manual here http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jenfi.home/h...av/effets.html

On the manual it seems to be remotable but sorry, cause i don't know what "be switched via 1/4" relay" mean

( the used price is 50- 80 usd)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Ok, since my original post I've managed to sell my rack rig and switch over to a Mesa Mark IV combo setup.

I'm still looking for a compressor, although now I don't care if it's a rackmount or a pedal--I still have available rack space and pedalboard space. My primary concern would be tone--I want to use the compressor to even out my clean tones, so it's gotta sound good clean. I will likely never use it with distorted tones because I like using my TS9DX for soloing so much.

So, all that said, any suggestions now?

Thanks,
--Brent
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 06:56 AM
rfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduersch
I'm still looking for a compressor, although now I don't care if it's a rackmount or a pedal--I still have available rack space and pedalboard space. My primary concern would be tone--I want to use the compressor to even out my clean tones, so it's gotta sound good clean. I will likely never use it with distorted tones because I like using my TS9DX for soloing so much.

So, all that said, any suggestions now?
A second-hand MXR Dynacomp would be my choice. Superb sounding, and if you get bored with it, you can sell it for as much or more than you paid...

- rfb
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 08:37 AM

I've had all three Boss models, of those I prefer the CS-2...it has a warm tonal character (the CS-1 is too squashy for me, and the CS-3 just not as warm).

I've also had the Ibanez CP9 and an a couple old MXR Dynacomps (block logo). The CP9 is nice, but I found it to change the fequency resp too much for my taste...kind of a mid hump like the TS9. The old MXRs a nice to, fairly squashy and milky smooth.

I'm actually down to the CS-2 and, are you ready for this, the DOD Milk Box. Clean, clear, flexible, and cheap. Other than that I may try one of the custom models from Analog Man or Keeley.
Greg
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips... I've been looking at the Boss and MXR compressors already.

Another one I like the idea of is the ART Levalar tube compressor. For $80, it's got a real tube in it (don't know why that excites me so much). I use a couple ART Tube Channels (tube preamp + compressor/limiter + EQ) in my recording rack, and don't know how I could get by without them. I might try moving one of them to my guitar rack to see how the tube compressor treats me.

--B

Tags
clean tone , custom models , distorted tone , distorted tones , mesa mark , rack space , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode