Should I buy an Eleven Rack? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Should I buy an Eleven Rack?

Should I get an Eleven Rack? Am I going to need a bunch of extra expesive stuff to go along with it to make it happy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Should I buy an Eleven Rack?

No
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 PM

You don't have to take it out to dinner first to score if that is what you mean.

actually it comes with pro-tools and is a computer interface also.
So no.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Well, it's been out for a couple years, but it comes with an update and the newest protools. I just want awesome sounding setup so I can spend what little time I have making music and not messing with plug ins and partially functional software.

Any insight would help.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Banned

How old are you?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
No
No to which question? No he shouldn't buy one or no he won't need a bunch of extra expensive stuff?

Quote:
How old are you?
Why does that matter? maybe he would rather not broadcast his age - some folks are sensitive about that kind of stuff ya know Treva... ;o)

I don't have an Eleven Rack or an Axe-fx but I am intrigued by both units and have done some research on both and from what I hear and see on youtube and other clips I'm not hearing a $1,000 + price difference so if I could afford either I would go with the Eleven Rack because from what I've heard it sounds great and is about 1/3 of the price of the new Axe-fx....just a humble opinion from a guy who doesn't own either unit - but wishes he did ;o)
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
No
Hahaha I had the impulse to post the EXACT same answer Treva. Ask a simple yes-or-no question, get a simple yes-or-no answer.

Now if they are really asking for info/reviews/feedback, etc on the eleven rack (as I suspect they are) that's an ENTIRELY different question. Which was not actually stated (though admittedly implied). Sometimes semantics are fun in here... Don't take it as a diss, just a light hearted poke in the ribs on a poorly worded question.

Anyway, to get to the real concern here, I think it is naieve for anyone to think they can go buy an all-in-one solution (ANY of the several options out there that fall into this category) that they can just plug in to & be making great music in no time. The eleven rack is a perfect example. Sure, it comes with Pro Tools & is a direct interface, etc. But do you know how to use Pro Tools? Efficiently & effectively? If not (as I suspect that, like myself, most are NOT trained Pro Tools experts) then you should expect to have a fairly steep learning curve and be spending a LOT of time learning the software as well as the unit's interface.

Put more simply, there are no real shortcuts. Just like your actual guitar playing, if you want great results expect to invest a significant amount of time. However from an interface standpoint (insofar as everything being compatible) this does appear to be a solid "package" of products.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfssdude View Post
Hahaha I had the impulse to post the EXACT same answer Treva. Ask a simple yes-or-no question, get a simple yes-or-no answer.

Now if they are really asking for info/reviews/feedback, etc on the eleven rack (as I suspect they are) that's an ENTIRELY different question. Which was not actually stated (though admittedly implied). Sometimes semantics are fun in here... Don't take it as a diss, just a light hearted poke in the ribs on a poorly worded question.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Well, it's been out for a couple years, but it comes with an update and the newest protools. I just want awesome sounding setup so I can spend what little time I have making music and not messing with plug ins and partially functional software.

Any insight would help.
The guys are right, there is a learning curve to pro tools but that was not your original question. Everything is there to start recording. There are bunch of YouTube videos to walk you through some of the procedures.

The tones loaded into the 11 are enough to get you started until you start tweaking them yourself.

Jeff
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:50 PM

My recording rig includes an 11R and I have one loaded into a rack for direct performance.
I just took it out to play a date with long time Ibby endorser Larry Mitchell at his invite..
I knew I wanted to use the 11R because Larry is using the Axe-FxII and I didn't want to be disrespectful and run some loud screaming cab/stage volume while he was running direct.
Here's a link to a vid of said jam.. you can skip past the opening bass and drum solos.. and guitar business will pick up at the 8:00 minute-ish mark..lol.. everything is equal.. same PA.. same sound guy.. we're both running direct. He with his AxeFXII and I with the 11R.. nothing else.. the only difference being his hands/my hands and his Ibanez and my signature Nocturne.. I actually take my first swing @ the 6:43 mark but Larry and the bassist have switched instruments during that part of the jam.. so no banter right there between Larry and myself..
http://youtu.be/FaDx_0L0OTI
I think its an excellent tool and having the ProTools loaded onto the 11R instead of your computer frees your comp to do other things like run rta's and drum tracks, plug ins, etc. I'd be more than happy to answer any 11R questions that I can.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the good feedback, I have been hearing good thing about this unit. I may have to wait a little bit, my computer is running Xp and the new Pro Tools is Windows 7 only. Not sure if I am ready to upgrade my computer just yet... but the whole setup sounds like it would be ideal for what I am doing. Either way, a new computer and the 11R would be less than an Axefx 2.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackButlerGOT View Post
My recording rig includes an 11R and I have one loaded into a rack for direct performance.
I just took it out to play a date with long time Ibby endorser Larry Mitchell at his invite..
I knew I wanted to use the 11R because Larry is using the Axe-FxII and I didn't want to be disrespectful and run some loud screaming cab/stage volume while he was running direct.
Here's a link to a vid of said jam.. you can skip past the opening bass and drum solos.. and guitar business will pick up at the 8:00 minute-ish mark..lol.. everything is equal.. same PA.. same sound guy.. we're both running direct. He with his AxeFXII and I with the 11R.. nothing else.. the only difference being his hands/my hands and his Ibanez and my signature Nocturne.. I actually take my first swing @ the 6:43 mark but Larry and the bassist have switched instruments during that part of the jam.. so no banter right there between Larry and myself..
http://youtu.be/FaDx_0L0OTI
I think its an excellent tool and having the ProTools loaded onto the 11R instead of your computer frees your comp to do other things like run rta's and drum tracks, plug ins, etc. I'd be more than happy to answer any 11R questions that I can.
Watching the vid right now, looks like it was a fun show!

Thanks for the detailed response to my question.

Love that flutter you threw in there, right after the 9:00 mark!

Last edited by Dino; 07-13-2012 at 05:34 PM.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 PM

Dino, THANKS for taking the time to watch and listen! Anytime I can help with whatever.. don't hesitate.. just ask.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 PM

Reviews: 18

Get the 11R Dino. It's the closest thing to an AxeFX without having to drop 3 grand.

Jimmy
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM

Reviews: 13

A couple of years ago I bought a Line 6 Pod XT Pro rack unit. At this time everybody said they were cool etc etc and that modelling technology was the next big thing. I bought in to the hype. The AxeFX I & II has come out since and is apparently the best thing since sliced bread for modelling tech. The Line 6 stuff is now considered pretty rudimentary - I only tend to use it when I need to record something in quiet and put down an idea really quickly which I will ultimately re-record using my Pro Tools rig (where I have miked up my tube amp). The Line 6 stuff is now 'just' hanging on and the manafacturer puts out very few, if any, updates now that this piece of kit is old hat. When they stop updating it I have a $1300.00+ cool 'looking' piece of hardware in my rack that does nothing! By the way I have a Marshall JCM 800 that I use to record, gets a new fuse and tubes every few years, I can gig with it if I want and it probably acruing in value. Now to the Eleven Rack. Its got to be coming to the end of it's lifecycle. The the updates will slow down in a few years, no more patches and updates from Avid then low and behold you will have the equivalent of my Line 6 Pod XT Pro......So not withstanding how good the Eleven Rack may, or may not be, think about the investment in your music equipment for the future. Will you end up wanting a real tube amp in the future anyway? Will you want to get into recording a bit more? If so then you may be better off going with a more specific recording solution. Noting that whichever recording platform you consider you will be faced with an 'upgrade curve there as well.

-Wolfram

Last edited by Wolfram; 07-14-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Tags
avid , eleven rack , pro tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode