should i buy floor model tube amps? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

should i buy floor model tube amps?

tomorrow i am going to go to my local store to try out some tube amplifiers including the peavey vypyr tube 60. my worry is that they said over the phone the pne they have and are going to sell for a new price of 450 is the one they have on the floor. i dont know how long they have had it and how many people have played it and how warn the tubes are or anything. should i buy it? how can i tell if the tubes are still good and have much life left? is that normal for them to call that new. and how do i know how long they have had it on the floor being used? what should i do in this scenario?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:59 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: should i buy floor model tube amps?

Simple. Play it and see if you like it. If you do, then tell them that you will give them $400 for the floor stock model. If they insist on $450, then tell them to order you a brand new one, still boxed up, and you'll take that one.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM

Amps are tools and need to be used. Don't be afraid of it just because it's been played, that's what it's for.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 PM

Reviews: 4

I'd want a fresh-out-of-the-box one too. Or a decent discount.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 02:36 AM

Personally, I'd ask for a new one for the new price, and not buy a floor model unless there was a discount you felt made the wear and tear of a demo worth it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Reviews: 59

I don't know if they're even technically allowed to sell you a floor model as "new." Like everyone is saying, get it in the box unless they give you a good discount on it. If you do get the floor model with a discount, be clear of what the warranty/return policy is in case it does give you any problems.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 PM

Exactly. No way would I buy a floor model for new price. It's a demo unit plain and simple, and it needs to sell for a demo/used price. If it checks out OK and you get a good price, it's probably fine (as mentioned, check into warranty issues). I'd get a new one myself. If they don't want to play along, take your money somewhere else.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:32 AM

Reviews: 34

Yep, sounds like a typical dealer shake down. I would try and get a much better discount.

Maybe the reason they would sell the demo is if they weren't going to stock the model anymore, or there is a new one coming.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:27 PM

Reviews: 9

Warranty is from the date of Purchase by the customer, should be a minimum of 1 year for electrical goods.

The only exceptions are when manufacturers provide exptended warranty, such as boss pedals, where the warranty is from the date the DEALER purchased the item. If the item has never been sold by the shop, it'll will have at least a full year's warranty. Just make sure you register, Peavey stuff requires that I believe.

When my shop (which Nick^^ may have been to...?) sells an amp we're always willing to discuss price. Because our shop's quite small, and all the stock we hold we have to put out particularly with amps, we have to sell the floor model. We wouldn't expect someone to come in, ask for say, a Blackstar series one 100 head, and then we go 'ok, to ensure you get a brand new boxed one, you can't demo it, you just have to buy it', lol. Nobody's generally trying to screw anybody, but we have to let people try amps, and we also have to make money, so we can;t just hack a load off the price : ).

EDIT Don't know about the Peavey registration thing as a fact, as my shop doesn't sell Peavey. When I bought my 6505+, it came with the warranty card where you write your details and had a prepaid postcard thingy (to use the technical term).

Tags
advice , bad tubes , buying , maintence , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode