Simple reverb and delay solution - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Simple reverb and delay solution

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a head that has no reverb on board, and I don't own a delay atm, so I'm looking for a pedal solution, if possible one that does both.

I absolutely don't need fancy stuff, just, a clear spring-like reverb (no need for nasal small room or tunnel reverbs etc) and a simple delay that repeats my notes somewhere between 100 and 1000ms. (also no need for any complex quad crazy delays nor loopers...)

What would you guys advice ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:39 PM

Re: Simple reverb and delay solution

For a reverb you can use a cheap boss, a hardwire... or
What I use is a wampler faux spring reverb, awesome reverb pedal, you can push it with distortion and the sound is great. I use it with all my amps right now, the best reverb pedal and is just that, an analog spring reverb.

For a delay you got a lot to choose:
-from a cheap mxr carbon copy or a fat old memory mann...

How much do you want to spend? Big question.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 PM

Reviews: 120

Malekko Omicron Chicklet is a fantastic little spring reverb pedal. Takes up next to no space on a board, yet has some delicious tones.

For the delay, what are you after? A digital type or analogue type? If it's just analogue it's hard to go past Malekko again, the Ekko 616 is an amazing analogue delay with flexible optional modulation. If you want some digital and analogue style tones the Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper is amazing bang for buck.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 PM

you guys are gonna laugh, but I'm in the same boat and I bought a Behringer reverb machine,,, and I love it. I think I paid 40 bucks for it on teh bay. Its almost worth the 40 for the space reverb effect. I don't use effects too often but I needed a reverb just for certain situations and I'm really happy with it.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I used to have a MIJ DD-3 which did a perfect job, so I guess that is digital is there so much difference compared to analogue ?

What about EHX holy grail (I'm just looking at a used "plus").

Well I'd like to keep budget manageable because the head will cost me a lot. around 75-100usd each on used market.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM

Boss PS-3
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 05:14 PM

Digital Delay sound more like the original sound you played.
Analog Delay is much warmer and sound more like a copy.
I like both for different types of music and tones.

Digital Reverb sound very bright and airy.
Real spring Reverb has a different tone that is warmer and if you turn it up really high, it starts to have a slight pop when you pick had, very cool, the bigger the unit the better, longer springs.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:13 AM

The Strymon El Capsitan is a delay pedal but it also has a Spring Reverb control too, you don't get to adjust the reverb other than how much you want to mix in but you have a bazillion options for the delay.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Would a boss gt-8 be a cheap *ss solution for this? Or does it make your sound sterile? I once had gt-10 and I didn't like it. Nuno still uses a gt-8 for this purpose up until his rihanna tours. I've read here and there it sounds less thin than a gt-10 for example. And the midi switching might be handy to switch channels on the amp
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 AM

Check out the Boss RE-20 Space Echo Delay / Reverb Pedal
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

ah interesting. Checking out stuff. When it comes to delay for me, i don't need a tape/echo effect at all. I just want it to delay my notes as exact as possible. No funky tape deformations for me
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 AM

Best bet might be to get a Boss DD-3 and a Boss RV-5. You should find both used for cheap, especially since you said you just want something that repeats the notes you are playing without extra effects. The Digital Delays from Boss are perfect at that. I was also searching for a delay a couple of months ago. Saw a bunch of demos from pedals, went to the store and left with the DD-3.

I don't recommend getting a large unit like the GT-8 just to do effects. Although it is pretty good at doing that, it becomes a hassle after a while. It's just too clunky. I had a GT-10 that I was using for that...traded in as part of the payment for a new guitar. Much happier now with just Guitar+Amp+pedals.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Any of the Boss DD-X
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
you guys are gonna laugh, but I'm in the same boat and I bought a Behringer reverb machine,,, and I love it. I think I paid 40 bucks for it on teh bay. Its almost worth the 40 for the space reverb effect. I don't use effects too often but I needed a reverb just for certain situations and I'm really happy with it.
Yep--once in awhile, they come out with a nice little surprise that sounds good.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 PM

Reviews: 6

I would recommend a Hybrid Analog and Digital style delays like a Seymour Duncan SFX-10 Deja Vu Tap Delay. You can even mixed the analog and digital delay. This has ton of feature and the BBD analog circuit has great warmth in tone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode