Sitarry sound - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Sitarry sound

I have no sitar or sitar pedal, so i was just wondering what those of you in my boat do to imitate the sound of one.

cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 02:21 PM

try to lodge a small piece of metal that spreads across all the strings underneith the strings by the pickup area. Make sure it just gently touches the strings as they vibrate...I did it once with a gibson pickup cover/plate, and I was suprised how much it sounded like a sitar...although it was too tall thus I couldn't fret any notes.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 03:13 PM

Also, so much of it is in the phrasing. Do a ton of trills and grace note slides and the like, and you'll be shocked how close you can get in vibe... Check out some of Satch's free time intros ("Cool #9," "Time," etc) and Neil Zaza's melody to "Zen, Karma, and Other Good Things" and compare it to some indian sarod playing, and you'll be suprised.

Also, a light crunch tone can help get that "buzzy" vibe while phrasing this way... or, a peizo output, the brightness and extra buzz is invaluable for copping the feel.

Phrasing, not tone, is the most important aspect, IMO.

-Drew
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 03:21 PM

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 11:52 PM

Also, pick close to the bridge, really close. And use a lot of open strings droning under your playing.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I know the concept behind the playing, it's just the sound I need. I tried the tin foil trick and it works, but it's hard to get the right amount of feel on the strings. fun though
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 01:24 AM

I remember stumbling accross a sitar like sound using an Ibanez fl-9 flanger with the sweeping turned off and the regen control on full. It's more of an electric sound than an organic one, but interesting none the less.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 04:52 AM

Very cheap tele or strat + Eyb sitar bridge = Electric sitar

Here is a link for the bridges http://www.eyb-guitars.de/frame/framebridge.htm

and for thoes of you who don't speak german
http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

not sure if they are availble in the US or if you'll have to import one.

Tags
neil zaza , pickup cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode