SM57 recording info - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
SM57 recording info

Hi guyze,

I'm currently shopping for a SM57 but I dont really know how recording actually works.

Is it interesting to buy the combo with the X2u USB thing? Instead of a convert cable to use on my PC microphone input? The SM57 doesnt come with the cable 80% of the time...

Thanks for the answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 09:39 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: SM57 recording info

that's one of the cheapest and most limited ways to do it. I don't know how the latency goes on the USB adapters. But usually people buy an interface. I've got a 'Presonus Firestudio Project', and that connects to my computer through firewire. And i can then plug up to 8 mics into that with about 3 or 4ms latency.

So what i'm saying is check out the interfaces you can buy. Depending on your needs, u can go from 2 inputs (solo guitar recording + a mate) and usually up to 8 (for drum kits).

Have fun researching this, i spent about 4-6 months reading up on different interfaces until i found the right one for the right price.

Toodles!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4

Thanks for the reply.
I only want to record myself (1 microphone, 1 Guitar cab, 1 computer).
And I didn't know if buying an adaptator from XLR to Computer gets the same sound quality and is cheaper than buying the microphone with the USB X2u.
The latency isn't really important here, I hear my playing on the amp and don't need feedback/other ppl playing.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 01:23 AM

Reviews: 2

by XLR you mean XLR to 3.5mm, then that depends on how good ur motherboard/sound card is. I got a fairly good latency time with my motherboard (Gigabyte EX58-UD3R), which was about 6-8ms.
But this method is USUALLY very poor, most motherboards can't keep up and put out latencys of about 30-300ms latency. But using a different ASIO driver helps (ASIO4ALL is very good).

But after latency, the sound quality isn't all that bad, for a while i had the headphone jack of my Line 6 POD going straight into my motherboard and tweaking the settings on the POD did the trick nicely.

Now after saying ALL of that, i havn't come across any XLR-3.5mm jacks.

The USBx2u sounds like a very good idea, and it's made for microphones and shure is a very well trusted company. I Havn't tried it, but i wouldn't think they would put out an adapter that was unusable. So the chances are, the X2U will sound clear and have a low latency through ur USB posts. Surely there's people on youtube who have done recordings with it.

The next step up for latency and sound quality is firewire, but that's when **** starts getting expensive.

A good recording tool i've seen (and i've used my friends one) is the Line6 Toneport UX2 (or summin like that). That's made for guitar and you can plug in a mic, or plug ur guitar straight in and use thier modelling software. It sounds good and is really cheap (cause it's a USB interface)

Hope something from this monster post helps you out on your way.

Toodles!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:01 PM

Reviews: 59

Unless you have a decent sound card, as has been said, I wouldn't recommend plugging directly into your computer. There are plenty of cheap interfaces and you'll want a pre-amp because the 57 needs a fair amount of gain unless your source is really loud.

As has been said,if you're just trying to record yourself, with a max of 2 channels at a time, then USB will be fine and you really don't need to step up to firewire. If you think, down the road, that you might want to record more than two channels at once, then you might want to consider firewire and save yourself from buying twice.

The Line 6 products are fine, I also recommend stuff like the Lexicon Omega for USB as I've got friends who use it and get good results. I myself use a Presonus Firestudio 26x26 and it's fantastic but way more than is necessary for demos by yourself.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
Unless you have a decent sound card, as has been said, I wouldn't recommend plugging directly into your computer. There are plenty of cheap interfaces and you'll want a pre-amp because the 57 needs a fair amount of gain unless your source is really loud.
Even IF you have a decent sound card, I wouldn't recommend it.

The first time I bought a dedicated recording interface, I bought a new computer at the same time. I got the computer in a week or so early, the interface order got delayed, so for that first week I installed my recording program and experimented plugging straight into the (good prosumer grade) soundcard. I was initially kind of underwhelmed - it was a brand new computer, but it didn't sound THAT much better than my old laptop I'd been using for 6-8 years before that.

Then, I got my M-Audio interface in the mail. Hooked it up, and immediately had the single-biggest jump in recording quality I've ever seen.

There are a bunch of cheap one- or two-channel USB or Firewire interfaces on the market - if your budget permits, I'd really recommend grabbing one.

Tags
sm57 microphone recording

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode