Software for composing and recording on mac? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Software for composing and recording on mac?

I'd like to start composing and recording music on my home computer (mac).

First I'd like to be able to compose music putting in the notes and asign instruments to them so that it will be played by the computer. If I want a 4 piece string orchestra or a piano or whatever. I also need to be able to change tempo, beat, etc. in the middle of the song.

Then I'd like to have drums and bass to play a comp in the style I ask, but with the possibility to override the automatic comp for one or more beats - if I want something in particular (like hitting the same beat as the guitar for a beat).

At last I'd like to record one or more tracks with guitar and possibly vocals on top of that.

Can someone recomend one or more software programs to acheive all this - and if you have several recomandations then something which is somewhere in the middle when it comes to price, flexibility and features (i.e. not the most expensive stuff, but it should not be very limiting as well).

I hope I managed to explain what I'm after, if not please feel free to ask me to clarify.

Thanx a lot - Trond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 06:36 PM

Re: Software for composing and recording on mac?

The most obvious solution would be Apple's own Logic Express or Logic studio. Both have just been upgraded to version 8 with a much more friendly interface and a huge price drop. If you haven't tried it already Garageband 4 (part of iLife '0 is really easy to start recording with. Many folks still use it to sketch out ideas before moving the project to Logic. It can now change pitch or tempo part way through a project although you can't change the key signature as best I can tell.

Logic 8 (Express or studio) offer more advanced scoring, editing, mixing and and huge number of more advanced software instruments.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Thank you a lot for the advice Mattww. After searching around a bit I came up with Logic Studio and Cubase Studio to be the solutions that seems to fill my needs the best. Sucks that none of the have downloadable demo versions though. I need to see if I can find a way to look at them and compare them anyways. No chanse in my little home town, but maybe some bigger shops in Oslo could demo them.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:10 PM

I'm pretty sure you can do everything you are asking the Mac to do in the latest version of Garageband - it is a surprisingly powerful program in its current form - and while people seem to enjoy bagging it, there are artists out there releasing albums created almost totally in Garageband.

I use a MacBookPro running ProTools LE and a Digi003 rack interface - I can't recommend this system highly enough - both the quality of the software and hardware is unbeatable for the price - the other HUGE advantage of ProTools LE is that it is almost totally compatible with ProTools HD, which means if you want to record drums in a great studio, or do your mixing in a fantastic mixing environment with JBL monitors the size of apartment blocks, you can transfer your files from your Mac to their inhouse system, and they will play in ProTools pretty much exactly as they do in your home environment - that alone is worth using ProTools for (given the almost 100% installed base of ProTools in professional recording suites).

Having said the above, if I want to get an idea down on disc before I forget it, I do all the sketching in Garageband because it is so quick and easy - if the idea has legs, I can import the results into ProTools and keep working.

Cheers

David
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

I've decided to try out Logic. I tried Garageband but it was to limited - the score/composing part of that is - I did not try recording with it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:53 PM

I'm using Logic pro 7.2 and it is truly a great recording software, it can do all of the things you mentioned plus a lot more......it's also one of the more difficult software to learn, unless all the techy stuff just comes easy to you.

Just make sure you have a good computer for Logic, and a good audio/MIDI interface. You can never have too much RAM, the more the better especially if your running a lot of tracks with a lot of plugins etc....

I'm sure you will find Logic to suit your needs just fine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode