Soldano Hot Rod 50 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 34
Soldano Hot Rod 50

I played one for the first time yesterday. I was amazed, but tell me......

Is the preamp stage valve or transistor?

I am looking at modding one of my amps to give a similar sound (because I clearly can't afford one) and I want to know what is feasible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 10:01 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: Soldano Hot Rod 50

If I am not mistaken, all Soldanos are all tube.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 10:09 AM

Reviews: 25

Soldanos... I really want one, but... no dice !!!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Reviews: 2

Definitely ALL TUBE. Mike Soldano is very "anti-transistor". I had a HOT ROD 50+,,,,and I, too, was amazed....but not as amazed and floored as I was when I got my SLO-100, which has now been my main amp for over five years. Soldano amps having amazing, 3-D -like, liquid harmonic gain!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

All tube it is. Thanks guys.

Honeslty that Soldano tone is like amp herion. Fortunately I have a modeller (Jamvox) that does do a pretty good approximation so I am getting a regular fix.

So the SLO-100 is better? I had heard that. The clips on youtube aren't exactly conclusive on the subject, but I don't have access to one

Does anybody have a schematic of these amps? I am not suggesting for a second that by modding an existing amp I am going to gt exactly THE tone, but it might be a fun project to try and install the a similar preamp gain stage into an existing amp.

Next question, and this is probably going to crash jemsite with every one logging on to say noooooooo, but......

Is it possible to replace a transistor pre amp circuit with a valve one?

Basically I have an old Peavey Mace VT (think Lynyrd Skynyrd) which is very loud (OMG) but doesn't have a great tone for anything but southern rock. It has a tranny preamp and tube power section. These are very well built and modable, but how far can you really go.

The other option is to get my JMP-1 modded, which I am not so gungho about.

Any thoughts?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:32 AM

If you're wanting to mod an amp, you can build you own SLO clone. Google "SLO clone" for a whole list of sites and forums for this very topic.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 AM

There are Soldano clones and schematics out there, but I think the best of them only get to about 80% of the SLO sound.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
If you're wanting to mod an amp, you can build you own SLO clone. Google "SLO clone" for a whole list of sites and forums for this very topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
There are Soldano clones and schematics out there, but I think the best of them only get to about 80% of the SLO sound.
Thanks guys.

Clone amps sound good, although in actuality they are going to cost very nearly what a second hand amp does.

I guess the next avenue is to try and find a tech who will look at taking the schematic from the gain stage and making it work with the power stage on the peavey.

watch this space.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
Thanks guys.

Clone amps sound good, although in actuality they are going to cost very nearly what a second hand amp does.

I guess the next avenue is to try and find a tech who will look at taking the schematic from the gain stage and making it work with the power stage on the peavey.

watch this space.
That's going to cost AT LEAST what a second-hand Soldano would. If you add in the hourly labour rate on top of good components, it won't be worth it. The going rate for a guitar tech in my area is $65/hour. It will take more than 10 hours to do what you're talking about. Do the math.

It would probably be cheaper to get a second-hand rackmount pre-amp and power amp, if you want that kind of flexibility.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's going to cost AT LEAST what a second-hand Soldano would. If you add in the hourly labour rate on top of good components, it won't be worth it. The going rate for a guitar tech in my area is $65/hour. It will take more than 10 hours to do what you're talking about. Do the math.

It would probably be cheaper to get a second-hand rackmount pre-amp and power amp, if you want that kind of flexibility.
2nd Hand Soldano is £2000 over here. It is at least worth getting a quotation for the mod, if only to see how wrong I am

I have rack stuff already. I want an amp head that sounds like that Soldano.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 12:33 PM

Reviews: 2

Sometimes it comes down to sacrifice -- I sold off two Marshalls to fund my Soldano purchases, but I never looked back and couldn't be happier. Maybe it's time to lose some stuff to gain what you really want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post

I have rack stuff already. I want an amp head that sounds like that Soldano.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Reviews: 12

I've got an Avenger 100 at my house right now. It's nice. But not as good as I thought it would be.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
Sometimes it comes down to sacrifice -- I sold off two Marshalls to fund my Soldano purchases, but I never looked back and couldn't be happier. Maybe it's time to lose some stuff to gain what you really want.
Yes.

I am going to the guitar shop today to discuss this very thing.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Just got this back from the amp tech:

"onverting a solid state Peavey into a Soldano amp is like builidng a new amp. You need to replace all the major part of circuitry.
Sorry to say that, but this is not really possible.

Even if you only want to fit a valve pre-amp stage it means we need to replace the whole power supply and to be honest one valve stage won't change it much."

Nuts! So in answer to the question, how wrong can I be, the answer is: very!

Philboski, you were absolutely right.

Better start saving my pocket money.

Tags
hot rod 50 , modding , soldano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode