Some thoughts about guitar amplification - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Some thoughts about guitar amplification

The more i learned about guitar amplification the more frustrated i got. The gold standard for guitar amplification is without doubt the tube amp. Only problem with tube amps are
a) you have to change tubes once in a while which isn`t for free. b) a lot of owners obviously struggel with reliability problems which often are tube related c) have to be rebiased d) tend to have a suboptimal soundquality at bedroom levels (not all but most of them) e) have a certain characteristic/ limited versatility. With other words a JSX or a Diezel has a very different characteristic from a lets say Plexi or a Fender. This can be a good thing if you just want one sound but there are limitations with regard to athentically reproducing different sounds. f) tube amps are expensive and heavy g) i see that as the reason for that quite a lot of people go through a whole ****load of amps to find "the tone in their head" investing even more ****loads of money on the way. h) high gain amps have a tendency to be quite noisy, and so on and so on....

h) to cut a long story short tube amps er expensive have some reliability problems and limitations with regard to flexibility. No problem if you are a pro with an army of techs behind you and the disposal of almost every effect available.
But as average Joe these things can give some serious headache.
So what are the alternatives?
Solid state, modelling amps: Hmm, not quite the real deal as we all know.
So what about Fractal audio axe fx. Have read some raving reviews. But is it really that good and easy to handle/ free for problems?

Any experiences/ ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 04:04 PM

Re: Some thoughts about guitar amplification

There are some pretty cool ss amps for clean tones.

High gain stuff though is a crap shoot. Your right. It is expensive and noisy as hell which is hard to deal with. My mesa is annoying most of the time when i do high gain stuff. I cant figure out how to shut it up. I have to throw it on bypass between songs. If i stop playing for a second it makes the most awfule noises.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMind View Post
The more i learned about guitar amplification the more frustrated i got. The gold standard for guitar amplification is without doubt the tube amp. Only problem with tube amps are
a) you have to change tubes once in a while which isn`t for free. b) a lot of owners obviously struggel with reliability problems which often are tube related c) have to be rebiased d) tend to have a suboptimal soundquality at bedroom levels (not all but most of them) e) have a certain characteristic/ limited versatility. With other words a JSX or a Diezel has a very different characteristic from a lets say Plexi or a Fender. This can be a good thing if you just want one sound but there are limitations with regard to athentically reproducing different sounds. f) tube amps are expensive and heavy g) i see that as the reason for that quite a lot of people go through a whole ****load of amps to find "the tone in their head" investing even more ****loads of money on the way. h) high gain amps have a tendency to be quite noisy, and so on and so on....

h) to cut a long story short tube amps er expensive have some reliability problems and limitations with regard to flexibility. No problem if you are a pro with an army of techs behind you and the disposal of almost every effect available.
So what about Fractal audio axe fx. Have read some raving reviews. But is it really that good and easy to handle/ free for problems?

Any experiences/ ideas?
a) Maybe once a year? It isnt something that needs to be done monthly and it isnt that expensive. It's just routine maintenance. No big deal

b)A reliability issue that can be fixed by changing a 12AX7 is a lot cheaper and easier than anything that would go wring with a solid state amp.

c)A lot of new tube amps don't need to be rebiased, even so it's no big deal. Again routine maintenance and something you accept if you want good tone.

d)buy the right size amp for what you need. No one needs a 100watt half stack for their bedroom or even most gigs, but everyone wants one because it looks cool

e)Every amp has limited versatility, still a weak argument. How many artists use/used a Plexi or a Super Reverb and they don't sound the same as each other. If the point is that a SS Crate is more versatile than a Bogner, you're crazy

f)heavy yes, expensive, not all of them, but you get what you pay for. You can get a valve jr tube head for under $200, $600 for an Orange Tiny terror, like anything else there is a wide price range.

h)Amp too noisy? Turn the gain down too much turns any tone to sht anyway.

The average joe has tons of options, but like anything there is a trade off. For most guys tubes are still the only way to go.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 02:52 AM

Experiment and try as many options as you can. Then choose the best for your needs.

I love tube amps and have a nice collection but all options are good. Just choose yours.

I have read a lot of reviews and comments about many products but then until you try yourself you don't know if they will satisfy you.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:02 AM

Start with a nice clean sounding tube amp. Only as big as you need. You'll be surprised how little wattage you really need especially with a tube amp.
Then use effects pedals to get the versatility you want.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMind View Post

Any experiences/ ideas?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 AM

I've never understood the whole "tubes cost a fortune" thing. If you change 'em once a year, it probably still works out cheaper than the cost of a years worth of strings.

Rock on!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
I've never understood the whole "tubes cost a fortune" thing. If you change 'em once a year, it probably still works out cheaper than the cost of a years worth of strings.

Rock on!
You replace your strings more often than once a year?!?!!???? Wow, must be nice, Mr. Gotbucks!

Just kidding. I let them go longer than I ought to (but more often than once a year).

And I also would go with tubes over solid state. I moved from a Line 6 Spider II (solid state, 75 watts, 2 x 12in. speaker) to a Mini Colossal (tube, 5 watts, 1 8in. speaker) and I like the Mini's tone a lot. Not as many effects as the Line 6 but a warmer, clearer sound, and I can adjust the tone to a surprising degree.

Peace

Mike

Tags
fractal audio axe fx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode