Somebody recommend me a DOGZ BOLLOX eq pedal please - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Somebody recommend me a DOGZ BOLLOX eq pedal please

Hey there, i'm looking to get a graphic eq pedal to stick in the loop of my mesa boogie nomad, now I want to keep the signal as pure and sweet as possible so any effects i stick in there to alter the tone especially the eq needs to be real high and and good.

I'd prefer pedal rather than rack...

soo...any recomendations?

Track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 09:58 PM

Hey Track....not big on eq pedals myself, make that more like I don't know of a good one or not, but what about using a high quality boost with an adjustable level and tone as a reasonable substitute. There are tons of choices, some of the more audiophile quality ones being Keeley Java Boost or Fulltone's stuff...I'd probably pick the keeley over anything just out of reputation alone. Go to www.musictoyz.com and look up the keeley pedals. He's using the old Mullard components in these and true bypass.

Anyway, just an alternate idea for you to consider. I'm still loving my Nomad...assuming you are as well.

Cheers,

Brad
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 10:28 PM

I hear the Boss GE-7 does a great job. It sounds like the best bang for your buck pedal, but I'm sure other Jemsiters will be able to comment more.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah nomad is the BOMB!

I'm not that interseted in a level booster, cause the nomad has the solo function and also i'm getting a Fulltone Fulldrive very soon and that along with my MIJ DS-1 should cover all the gain variables i'll ever need.

The reason i'm after one is because the nomad 45 doesn't have the graphic in it, which is the ONLY thing i'd add or change about the amp, but to make up for it - it does have the EXTREME mode and that is insane. However i'd love to set up my petrucci tones then bang step on a graphic to take it to that other level.

In regards the boss ge-7 i'm fairly sure that it is not true bypass anything i'm getting in future has to be true bypass or be converted to - especially if its going in the loop, i can cope with it before the input - but the loop is the most dangerous part to lose tone i reckon.

I may pick one up cheap off ebay to try it out though and see. Unless anyone else can think up any others? If there aren't any? Surely i can smell a hole in the market here?

Track
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 01:09 AM

If you really want the best quality, then you'll probably have to go rack. I hear Behringer makes some good graphic and parametric EQs at reasonable prices. I'm really looking into these. If you get a pedal that doesn't have true bypass, you may want to try to compensate by getting really good cables (assuming, of course, that you don't already have them) and maybe and EMG Afterburner or Bartolini preamp to convert the signal to low impedance. That way, you won't get as much tone loss from the box. Also, you could just get the pedal and an A/B box.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 01:29 AM

"Tone loss" is impossible. Singlal loss IS possible OTOH. And that signal loss may actually be contributing to the tone, like making harsh pickups less harsh. Active electronics is not to everybody's taste.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry

"Tone loss" is impossible. Singlal loss IS possible OTOH. And that signal loss may actually be contributing to the tone, like making harsh pickups less harsh. Active electronics is not to everybody's taste.
Please excuse my heathen manner. I will not make such a flagrant error again. Of course signal loss will be contributing to his tone. EVERYTHING contributes to your tone. However, it may be contributing something that he finds undesirable. About the active electronics, I was only making a suggestion. I was trying to help him, what are you doing? Besides, these preamps do work with passive pickups, so you'll still get the same tone, just more of it than you might be used to getting. You're not going to hurt anything by putting a preamp in. And it's easier to dial something out than add something in that isn't there.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 02:57 PM

"Tone loss, Signal loss".... tomat-OES, to-MAH-tos. It amounts to the same thing, high frequency roll off due to signal degradation from that high a$$ impedance.

Come on now.

Tags
boogie nomad , mesa boogie , mesa boogie nomad , tone loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode