A somewhat limited speaker cab shootout... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

A somewhat limited speaker cab shootout...

I had some spare time yesterday at my band's rehearsal space/studio, and decided to compare some cabs that were laying around.
The amps used in the test were a Marshall 2553 head and a Mesa Studio preamp with a 20/20 power amp, the guitar was a custom strat, h-s-s.

The cabs compared with each other were:

1) Marshall 4x12, 100w, 16 ohms. Limited edition w/white tolex, the speakers are most likely Celestion Greenbacks.
2) VHT 1x12 ported closed-back with a Celestion GT12T-75, 16 ohms, 75 w.
3) Marshall JCM800 1936 2x12, Celestion G12-80 & a 100w Eminence, 4 ohms.

As already stated in other threads, the cab makes a HUGE difference.

The 4x12 Marshall sounded quite brittle and clunky. It was not very well defined, lacking thump and articulation. No good for power chord riffing. On the other hand, it had a spiky upper midrange that brought some Hendrix vibe, and might sound "vintage" with a totally cranked amp, which may please some ears. Clean sounds lacked dimension and were not very musical.

My favourite of the batch was the tiny VHT. It was tight, defined, very well balanced, but not very loud. The lead sounds were fluid but articulate, rhythm sounds crunchy. The Marshall had a nice, thick sound perfect for playing distorted riffs; the Mesa was wailing. Bottom end was surprisingly good for such a small cab, actually I had to roll off some bass! Clean sounds lacked some spaciness, but were full, round, and musical. No doubt I will use this cab extensively for recording.

The loudest one of the bunch was the Marshall 2x12. The cab had a wide, quite loose sound that brought out some nice neck pickup sounds. It was ok for hi-gain sounds, but was no match for the VHT in tightness and definition. The sound was more "classic rock". There was something in the midrange of this cab that I didn't entirely like, some "hollowness". Clean sounds were ok, with nice musical bottom end.

I hope you find my tiny exploration entertaining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 07:43 AM

magnificent, but you'll not pull me away from my marshall 4x12!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

No intention to do that, lad!

These cabs were just the individuals around; a friend of mine has a black JCM900 Marshall 4x12 which sounds rock solid with his Jubilee head.
It's just like they say, your mileage may vary. At least I learned not to ditch a cab by its looks and size.

And somehow I understand better the tiny 1x12 Bogner cabs in Vai's live rig...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 03:47 AM

Wasn't he using 4x12 Bogners? The only pic I saw a 1x12 Bogner in was a backstage pic.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

The last time I saw him he had a 4x12 and a pair of 1x12s.
Dunno what he's up to nowadays.

Tags
mesa studio preamp , neck pickup , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode