Sonic Maximizers - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Sonic Maximizers

How can I use a sonic maximizer w/o an effects loop, I running a guitar threw a 130 Watt Peavey Heritage Series amp. And I use Distortion pedals instead of using the pre-amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 09:22 PM

Re: Sonic Maximizers

you take the line out/or effects send from your amplifier, into the sonic maximizers IN, then take teh sonic maximizers OUT into the amps line in/effects return.

your pedals and stuff are between your guitar and amp i assume
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

so the sonic maximizer should go b4 my delay chorus and distortion?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogcreature
you take the line out/or effects send from your amplifier, into the sonic maximizers IN, then take teh sonic maximizers OUT into the amps line in/effects return.

your pedals and stuff are between your guitar and amp i assume
i think he means that he goes from gutiar to pedals to effects loop return, skipping the amp preamp.. in that case, i don't believe the sonic maximizer can be used.. it says in the manual that you cannot go directly from guitar to sonic maximizer due to signal difference, and that it must be run in the effects loop.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 04:39 PM

ohhh yea

the sonic maximizer is high level only, meaning only can be used in your amps loops and such, and not between your guitar and amp
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 01:28 PM

i plug mine in from my preamp rack unit 1/4" outs to the ins on the BBE, out of the BBE 1/4" outs to the ins of the power amp. but for you......do what they said.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 04:46 PM

this helped me alot i just hooked it up that way
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:28 PM

Reviews: 6

what are the benefits of a sonic maximizer? I've heard of it but what does it do?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 10:52 PM

it opens your sound up, makes it more clear, gives it more punch, and you/audience can hear your notes and stuff a great amount better live. very good investment, you should have to tweak it juusssst right.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 11:31 AM

Reviews: 6

so sort of like a compressor then?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 02:59 PM

I've used one, at times, in front of my amp. Put it after your distortion and effects.

It makes the highs, mids, and lows hit the speakers at separate times. This gives greater clarity.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:04 AM

Actually, that's just marketing spiel, made up for the BBE's ORIGINAL use - home stereos with 3 way speakers. It was bunk then, and it's even more bunk with guitar rigs that DON'T use 3 way speakers. What you're HEARING is the unit's harmonic generator. You may like it; many people do. I'm just saying it don't work how they SAY it works.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 05:06 PM

After that little rant, I have to point out I was wrong. Looks like the HF boost isn't an exciter, but an expander - it doesn't generate NEW highs, it dynamically boosts the ones that are already there. Maybe a slight thing, but I hate being wrong. ;-)

Having said that, I stand by my claim that this boost is what you hear, and not the time "re-alignment". An old unit for home stereos had both effects switchable, and a reviewer pointed out that without the boost there was no effect, while with the boost, the effect was obvious. This was on full range signals, which should show up differences easier than a solo electric guitar.

Having said THAT, I also want to apologize for my tone. Once AGAIN, I didn't read over my post before sending and I came off harsher than I meant to.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:51 AM

No problem!

Well, whatever it does, it works.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 03:58 PM

yeah it works good too, alot of people i know say they suck but i dont think that they have ever used them for guitar at all, i love them i wont live with out one. unless i have a bogner amp or something of course

Tags
distortion pedal , electric guitar , power amp , sonic maximizer , sonic maximizers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode