sound!! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

sound!!

Alright folks.

So, a few weeks ago I completed my project guitar which is a Basswood Fireman shaped body loaded with a Double Edge trem and Dimarzio Injector Pickups. This has become my main guitar since the neck on it is from a old RG560 which is maple.

My amp is a 5150 combo and I used to like it cause it can get a easy 80's sound out of it but now with this guitar I can't get anything to sound good. I spent hours researching settings and tweaking my settings to personal taste. Still nothing! Is it because of the style of pickups I'm using or what? I previously had an RG560 which sounded good on it. Hmm... What do you think? a f

oh, sometimes I've found a few settings that I liked atm but the next day I'll go back to play and it doesn't sound good anymore.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 06:51 PM

Re: sound!!

What sound are you trying to get? Can you still get this sound with your old guitar?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunaly, I can't because I broke it up into pieces. I took some pieces off that to make this new guitar and sold others and what not.

I want a classic 80's sounding tone a la Lynch, Gilbert and Vai sort of style. However, I want the tone be tight without to much noise... does that make sense?

Thanks, for responding.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 PM

It's probably the pickups and the whole new guitar thing (although I don't have to adjust settings much to get 'my sound' when I switch up guitars). What pickups did you have in your old guitar. What are you lacking now? Not enough output? Too much output?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:10 PM

Lowest common denominator dude... The amp didn't change. Your guitar did. Dramatically it sounds like. It's your new guitar's tone you don't like. One of the dangers of building customs... You just can't be sure what you'll end up with til it's done.

To get to the root of your tonal dilemma you'll need to isolate the variables that changed in your custom build. It sounds like the neck didn't change, so what's different with the body? Is the tone wood the same (I.e. was your old guitar basswood also)? Are your pickups the same? Body shape can change tone also, but I doubt going to a fireman shape would change your tone drastically.

In short, stop messing with your amp, which is the same amp you always liked before, and figure out what you did differently on your new guitar that you don't like. Pickups would be the first place I would start...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidley View Post
It's probably the pickups and the whole new guitar thing (although I don't have to adjust settings much to get 'my sound' when I switch up guitars). What pickups did you have in your old guitar. What are you lacking now? Not enough output? Too much output?
Brother Bidley... Remember that other thread where we were discussing generation of one's tone from their guitar vs. their amp? Here is a perfect case in point. Both are of course very important... But changing guitars can drastically change your overall tone even with a good amp. I'm not discounting the role of the amp, but this is exactly what I was trying to describe to that other post...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 PM

Reviews: 15

I think going from humbuckers to single coils is what's killing the tone for you, even if the Injectors are hum cancelling.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
I think going from humbuckers to single coils is what's killing the tone for you, even if the Injectors are hum cancelling.
THIS!
Plus, you mentioned a Double Edge trem. Are you using it in pickup mode, piezo mode or blending them both? Is the Double Edge wired correctly? I know that transplant couldn't have been extremely easy. Hell, the guitar I put my new DiMarzio Gravity Storm set into is my RG620x, which has the Double Edge--took much longer to wire up due to the different wiring needed and a little trial & error.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfssdude View Post
Brother Bidley... Remember that other thread where we were discussing generation of one's tone from their guitar vs. their amp? Here is a perfect case in point. Both are of course very important... But changing guitars can drastically change your overall tone even with a good amp. I'm not discounting the role of the amp, but this is exactly what I was trying to describe to that other post...
I never said it wasn't a factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
This! I didn't realise Injectors were single coils (too lazy to Google). Sounds like this is exactly what the problem is.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidley View Post
I never said it wasn't a factor

This! I didn't realise Injectors were single coils (too lazy to Google). Sounds like this is exactly what the problem is.
Oh I know... I just thought it was funny a perfect example came up right after we are talking about it.

And YES! I didn't realize Injectors were single coils either. That will def make a HUGE difference, particularly if you're after and/or used to a "heavier" distortion tone.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Okay, yea kinda stupid question now but I'm sure it's the pickups. I mean it's weird that when I first got it home it sounded great and loved the tone but after the newness worn off it was kinda meh to me. The new body is basswood like the other guitar. I'm thinking it's time to go amp shopping.

Alaskabat, I'm using just the pickups atm. No piezos.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmattms View Post
Okay, yea kinda stupid question now but I'm sure it's the pickups. I mean it's weird that when I first got it home it sounded great and loved the tone but after the newness worn off it was kinda meh to me. The new body is basswood like the other guitar. I'm thinking it's time to go amp shopping.
Wait... So you loved your amp but then you put single coils in your new guitar build and don't like the way they sound so you're going to go buy a new amp? Ummm.... Okaaaaayyyy... That's a very expensive, kinda backwards way to fix your original complaint dude. Unless you don't like your 5150 anymore and just want an excuse to buy a new amp... But you don't need an "excuse"... I'm confused...

Anyway, even a Mesa won't sound super heavy with single coils man. That's not the sound single coils are designed for. If you are missing that really heavy, saturated, distorted tone you need to put humbuckers in.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 PM

Reviews: 120

Get yourself a single sized humbucker for the bridge, and you'll probably be a lot happier. That or a decent overdrive or boost to pick up the tone. Try the new TC Electronic Spark Booster on the 'fat' setting. Might push your tone the way you want it to be.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Get yourself a single sized humbucker for the bridge, and you'll probably be a lot happier.
This. Much cheaper than a new amp!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Get yourself a single sized humbucker for the bridge, and you'll probably be a lot happier. That or a decent overdrive or boost to pick up the tone. Try the new TC Electronic Spark Booster on the 'fat' setting. Might push your tone the way you want it to be.
This!

Dimarzio makes single sized Super D, TZ, etc.

Tags
dimarzio injector , ibanez , ibanez fireman , paul gilbert , peavey 5150

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode