Sound fading out - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Sound fading out

Hello everyone. I have come across an interesting problem with my F-50 head. The sound fades out when being played at bedroom volume (8 o'clock). It started about two weeks ago. The sound fades out with a crackling sound within about 15mins of using the amp. It comes back again but then fades out again and will keep doing this. I have still been using the amp at gigs (taking a big risk) and it does not happen at all, all night and thats with the volume at half way or just over. Its not specific to either channel.

Anyway i changed the output valves with normal mesa 6L6's and the problem is still there. I am gonna have to try preamp tubes next cause i cant think of anything else to do. I tried tapping the preamp tubes with a pencil to see if they went microphonic but they seemed fine.

Can anyone help with this please????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Sound fading out

Hmmm, at what point does it cease happening? If you played with it on 9:00, does it still drop out? Is it all channels dropping out or just one? I'll assume you looked at the possibility of it being a cable issue or something like that, right?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

yeah, got stacks of cables here. mostly planet waves and a few monster.

It will cut out on both channels so that pretty much eliminates the pots on the front panel being the problem. It wont cease donig it, it just keeps going on and off.

I cant get it very loud at home to check what volume it stops at.

I might just have to take it to a pro repair man
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Try moving the preamp tubes around? I had a similar prob. awhile back weird stuff.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM

How old is the amp? Could be the caps going south. Worse would be the OT. Also did you properly bias the amp when you swapped power tubes?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 AM

Cool Re: Sound fading out

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
How old is the amp? Could be the caps going south. Worse would be the OT. Also did you properly bias the amp when you swapped power tubes?
Mesa gear is self bias.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 11:25 AM

Reviews: 59

Actually, stock Mesa's are fixed bias although mods can be done so that you can adjust it, voiding Mesa's warranty of course.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 01:07 AM

sounds like a preamp tube dieing

Tags
mesa amp boogie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode