Which Soundcard ? ? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Which Soundcard ? ?

I'm at a loss as to which card to get...my budget is £100/$200 max, i primarily want to use it for recording guitar/bass thru GuitarRig2 into Cubase SX...my crappy audigy 2 struggles to cope when theres more than 3 or 4 channels on, each going thru GuitarRig

Another factor is i have no firewire port, only USB's1 and a USB2, i think i want an external card too as its damn awkward getting round the back of my PC in my pokey flat !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Dee

Re: Which Soundcard ? ?

Are you sure it's the sound card which can't cope when running multiple channels? Maybe you need more RAM or a better CPU?

Anyways, as for recommendations, I've been using an Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 card for about 2 years. I bought this one because I didn't want to jump on the X-Fi / Creative bandwagon that everyone else was jumping on at the time, so I bought the "rival" card. You can pick them up nowadays for pretty good price, I believe. Check it:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...tid=11&subcat=

Here's another, it's a newer Auzentech which is just slightly over your £100 budget.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...tid=11&subcat=

Last edited by Dee; 08-12-2007 at 08:39 AM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Best card you can pick up for that price is an m-audio 1010lt
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 PM

deffo something from m-audio

may I also recomend a program called amplitube2 - its like guitar rig, but better
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 02:40 PM

Can someone explaine something to me?

Okay I have a sure SM58 Mic and when I run it into my computer it sounds lame. When I put a little MP3 recorder that cost 6 pounds in frount of my 4 x 12 it sounds SO much better - how the amp really sounds in the room.

I need a better sound card - but do I also need something to increase the 'power' of the mic so that it picks up the sounds of the cab?

I'm really confused about recording.

BigJob
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 04:03 PM

Reviews: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Job View Post
Can someone explaine something to me?

Okay I have a sure SM58 Mic and when I run it into my computer it sounds lame. When I put a little MP3 recorder that cost 6 pounds in front of my 4 x 12 it sounds SO much better - how the amp really sounds in the room.
BigJob
The mic will require a certain level of power that your computer may not be outputting properly, especially if it's onboard sound. I have to use a headphone amp with my simple headphones to get good sound if I use my onboard sound (which I sure as hell don't - I use my M-Audio FireWire410). You can buy mic pre-amps for under $50, though. That will work wonders if your system isn't doing it for you.

As for the original poster if you want a proper interface for instrument recording do not get a gaming card like the Auzentech or creative. You need something with multiple inputs/outputs, midi, compatibility with programs etc. Like suggested earlier M-Audio has a ton of external interfaces that work with either FireWire or USB. Keep in mind M-Audio has the worst driver development team in history so check drivers support and what not for your computer before you buy. Also, M-Audio FireWire products aren't hot pluggable so that's also a downer.

I personally suggest you look into getting a PreSonus FireBox used off of 'the Bay' or what-not. It's almost exactly like the FireWire410 from M-Audio but is also hot pluggable firewire and has good drivers. People are really recommending this box a lot lately. Even if you can't afford one, or find one used, save up. The great thing about interfaces, unlike gaming sound cards, is that their technology doesn't really get old. You can have an interface for years and years. Like the Firewire410 I have - it's been around for years yet is still a top seller. So, buying one that has everything you need and is a quality product is a very worthy investment into a hobby that may become something a lot bigger than you originally though it would.

Oh, and as for needing a firewire port, you can buy internal firewire controller cards of 'the bay' for mere dollars. Hell, I recently bought one for THREE dollars. Hehe, the shipping was more than the friggin' card was.

A suggestion for an external USB interface under $200 new (try finding better ones used first), though ('cause that was your real question) would be: M-Audio Fast Track Pro or the E-Mu 0404. And for the same but firewire check out the PreSonus Inspire.

Still, save for, or buy used, a PreSonus FireBox. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited by Johnny Two Tone; 08-12-2007 at 04:09 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Two Tone View Post
As for the original poster if you want a proper interface for instrument recording do not get a gaming card like the Auzentech or creative.
The Auzentech isn't a gaming card, in fact I rarely play games myself. My sound card does an awesome job in all situations without breaking the bank.

To the original poster -- why don't you just buy a V-Amp Pro instead?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot for the suggestions...if i was to get an external USB1 card would there be any latency issues if i was playing guitar thru it into GuitarRig ?

Ive heard that the USB2 ones are better ,although i dont really know much about it
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
The Auzentech isn't a gaming card, in fact I rarely play games myself. My sound card does an awesome job in all situations without breaking the bank.

To the original poster -- why don't you just buy a V-Amp Pro instead?
I've never heard of a V-AMP pro but i'll look into it !
thanks
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 06:59 PM
ME.

I use a M-Audio 1010lt myself. I think it's a great soundcard, it also has two mic preamps (switchable)

I use it with cubuse3 and has a "delay" of about 6-7ms

Colin
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezer_hi View Post
I've never heard of a V-AMP pro but i'll look into it !
thanks
They are great. Some people say they suck. Don't believe them. They are awesome for recording.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 09:18 PM

^Uh, hold up there guys. V-Amps and PODs aren't interfaces. They are modelers. He needs a recording setup. Plus, I have a V-Amp2 and it's "alright" at best as for a sound quality goes (muddy as hell). For bang for the buck it's awesome, though.

As for the guy with the Auzentech card: I'm not saying cards like that one or cards by creative aren't good or JUST for gaming - technology has come far enough that even most cards have decent DACs - it's just that why do you think a 7.1 surround card with ever feature you can think of is $200 while even simple interfaces are far more than that? Both are designed with different functions in mind. I play games with my M-Audio FireWire410 but it certainly wasn't designed as a device for gaming. And just to make you feel better the card that Auzentech is coming out with soon (the one that will have EAX HD) will be the shiznit and I'll certainly be getting one for entertainment purposes.

Anyway, don't get something that only has USB1.0 compatibility or, yes, the latency will be much more dramatic than you'd want. But keep in mind interfaces with ASIO drivers will cut down latency by a huge margin. My interface is firewire and without the ASIO driver going the latency is enough to bug the hell out of me but with the ASIO driver engaged it's basically instant sound coming back after hitting the strings. So, just imagine what a USB1.0 device with no ASIO driver would be like. Of course you can always record with the live sound off.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

How does the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card stack up ? any good for recording guitar /vocals ?
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 08:47 PM

^That card is very much on the basic side of things but if basic is what you're looking for than it has what a beginner would need. Though, no TRS jacks. And don't forget to look at driver compatibility. A lot of cards by M-Audio, including the 2496, do not have Vista drivers. Maybe they'll get some some day but who knows with M-Audio.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Well you live and learn dont you...I just bought the Auzentech X-plosion off 'the bay' and it play music but i cant seem to plug my guitar into it...great

next time i'll be selling my granny and getting a presonus firebox..

Tags
audio audiophile , audio firewire , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode