soundproofing - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

soundproofing

my band is starting to play more and more in my basement area we have made fro rehearsal and recording, i need to know a averagely priced, extremly effective way of keep the sound in the room. we have alot of tubing and vents and stuff above us going through the ceiling. we are surrounded by a brick wall on 2 sides of the room, and a plywood barrier type wall on the other 2 sides of the room. basically the folks need to hear little to no noise or bass from upstairs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 05:47 AM

Soundproofing is very hard. As far as I know you'd have to build up a room-within-a-room kind of thing. The tutorials I've read suggest putting up wooden batons, filling around them with Rockwool insulation, then covering with thick plywood (several layers even).
There's quite a few tutorials around - www.soundonsound.com should have some.

[edit]
This page gives a quick overview of what's involved and where to start
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:04 AM

Room-within-a-room is probably the best way.

Heavy Drapes with lots of folds on the sides, but for the ceiling I'm stumped. You could probably do the same though, hang them from the corners of the room.

It will not help much though if you have pipes going through the ceiling to upstairs.

That's NOT going to be a recording studio though.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:11 PM

If you really mean no noise, it would be cheaper to get an electronic drum kit, mixer, and a few amp modelers and put everyone in headphones. the kind of construction necessary to allow no noise in the same house is prohibitive.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 03:57 PM

I concur with the last statement, low frequencies are nearly impossible to stop without spending huge amounts of money. For ceilings you need complete isolation via a channel that would attach to the bottom of the joists separated from the wood by a foam barrier, then you need lots of insulation or rock wool up in the joists, all covered with 3 layers of different thickness drywall with all the seems made airtight by some soundproof caulking. If you have any holes at all in the room, that noise is going to get out and it reduces your dB reduction by huge amounts. Your doors have to be air tight, no outlet knockouts in the room, it all makes a big difference in the propagation of those frequencies. If you have wood on wood connections that are exposed to the frequencies, the sound will travel everywhere.

For tons of information and a cool forum go to http://www.johnlsayers.com

Lots of people who know what they're doing over there...but it's going to cost you tons of money to do what you want to do.

Tags
amp modeler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode