Speaker cable? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Speaker cable?

Hi. I just bought a speaker cable. However, now that I'm looking at it more closely, it doesn't say unshielded. I'm afraid that I might fry my power amp if I picked the wrong one. Would this work? My plan is to do the Axe - Power Amp - Cab setup. The cable is a 25 feet 1/4 to 1/4 16 gauge LiveWire.

Just a little paranoid. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by AngelOfDeath; 08-22-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 PM

Re: Speaker cable?

You have a 25 foot cable to go from the amp to the cab?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

yeah. it was on sale. I might return it for a shorter one. So is that cable fine or would it fry the amp?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:39 PM

If it says speaker cable on it, I think its ok to use as a speaker cable. But 25' is kind of ridiculous
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
You have a 25 foot cable to go from the amp to the cab?

ROFTL!! he DOES!! that's sooo funny. a 25 foot cable from the amp to the cab..... wow..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 AM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: Speaker cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
ROFTL!! he DOES!! that's sooo funny. a 25 foot cable from the amp to the cab..... wow..
Let's not go there yoyo

Jimmy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:00 AM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: Speaker cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfDeath View Post
Hi. I just bought a speaker cable. However, now that I'm looking at it more closely, it doesn't say unshielded. I'm afraid that I might fry my power amp if I picked the wrong one. Would this work? My plan is to do the Axe - Power Amp - Cab setup. The cable is a 25 feet 1/4 to 1/4 16 gauge LiveWire.

Just a little paranoid. Thanks a bunch.
First of all, calm the hell down (I've always wanted to say that, )

I believe you're interpreting the term "shielding" a bit incorrectly. With a speaker cable, or any audio or video cable for that matter, to shield means to allow the cable in question to try to prevent it from picking up noise or interference from any source or signal that could potentially introduce noise to the cable in the form of hum or buzz.

Having a shielded cable or not would have no bearing whatsoever in you frying your amp. That's a completely different issue you're thinking about. You amp could get fried even if you had shielded speaker wires. The only way to minimize the chances of your amp getting fried is to connect it to a line conditioner/surge protector to protect it from voltage spikes and at the same time siolate noise coming from your electrical current.

This would be a good example of such thing:

Jimmy

P.S.: Return the cable and get a shorter one.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 09:34 AM

Reviews: 130

What's wrong with long speaker cables? I have two low-gauge 25' cables that run from my rack setup (near me and my MIDI controller) to the other side of the stage where my stereo 4x12 sits. Is the concern signal attenuation or loss of fidelity?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 02:18 PM

One way to tell if it's a speaker cable is to plug it into your guitar then into a high gain type amp. If it buzzes and hums like crazy, it's a speaker cable.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 03:54 PM

I have a 25 ft cable for my cabs, because when I played out I use to place one of the cabs by the bassist and it widend my sound better for places with no PA...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
First of all, calm the hell down (I've always wanted to say that, )

I believe you're interpreting the term "shielding" a bit incorrectly. With a speaker cable, or any audio or video cable for that matter, to shield means to allow the cable in question to try to prevent it from picking up noise or interference from any source or signal that could potentially introduce noise to the cable in the form of hum or buzz.

Having a shielded cable or not would have no bearing whatsoever in you frying your amp. That's a completely different issue you're thinking about. You amp could get fried even if you had shielded speaker wires. The only way to minimize the chances of your amp getting fried is to connect it to a line conditioner/surge protector to protect it from voltage spikes and at the same time siolate noise coming from your electrical current.

This would be a good example of such thing:

Jimmy

P.S.: Return the cable and get a shorter one.
You're talking about a totally different topic. Guitar cables are shielded so outside noise doesn't get in. Speaker cables aren't shielded, because its unnecessary and they are carrying much more current than a guitar cable. Using an instrument cable as a speaker cable adds too much resistance, it can fry your power tubes and maybe even your OT

Tags
midi controller , power amp , rack setup , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode