Speaker Replacement Recommendations Peavey Bandit - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Speaker Replacement Recommendations Peavey Bandit

Hi guys!
Wanted to get some opinions on a speaker replacement for my Bandit (latest model/Chinese). I am planning on getting a Carvin V3MC in a few months, but I am looking for a speaker upgrade on my Bandit to get me by till then. I checked a few threads and it seems the most recommended are the Governor, Black Widow, and V30. I have listened to sound samples of various ones, but it is a tough call when you can't hear it in person. No guitar stores near me have a demo set up so you can hear them, so I am trying to go off sound samples on the net. I thought I would ask you guys as most people here seem generally knowledgeable. I play mostly medium to higher gain lead stuff (not death metal type gain, more Petrucci type gain) but also play electric blues and am starting to learn fusion as well. Basically I need it to be great at high gain and at least good at cleans, and have good definition for leads. Currently playing a Carvin ST300 with Evos (coil split also) and while I can tame the highs well enough (mahogany neck thru evens it out decently) I don't want a speaker too "tinny" as it will sound terrible w/ the Evos I think (or too muddy!). Also not wanting to spend an arm and a leg as this will be a backup in 3-4 months. Advice is appreciated and thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Speaker Replacement Recommendations Peavey Bandit

I boought 4 35 watt eminence legends a couple weeks ago, and man they are SWEET!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:09 PM

Reviews: 1

For me, the best is to mix speakers, a pair with one sound and the other to to reinforce the lack of the others.
What I'm using in my 4x12 cabinet right now is a pair of V30s and a pair of veteran 30s (from warehouse guitar speakers). The high mids of the V30 are improved with the extra top end of the veteran with less mids than the V30s, so I can enjoy a nice clean sound and a great defined distortion. They sound pretty much the same but I can improve a lot the sound.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 PM

Reviews: 11

I guess it proves that tone is subjective. I removed my v30s for the eminence legends.

One was blown though, so I. Guess I can't be too harsh on them.....
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_freak_forever View Post
For me, the best is to mix speakers, a pair with one sound and the other to to reinforce the lack of the others.
What I'm using in my 4x12 cabinet right now is a pair of V30s and a pair of veteran 30s (from warehouse guitar speakers). The high mids of the V30 are improved with the extra top end of the veteran with less mids than the V30s, so I can enjoy a nice clean sound and a great defined distortion. They sound pretty much the same but I can improve a lot the sound.
I hear you on that, but mine is just a 1x12". But I agree with your idea on the speaker mixing, if I had a cab I would. Yeah I was thinking about a V30...so many people use them, they can't be bad. I'd rather go cheaper if I can though.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have only heard of WGS in the last couple of days. An American made speaker from KY. They claim their veteran 30 doesn't have the freq. spike. So if their sound is real close what gives? Just the blending advantage? Thanks again VFF
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:52 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Eminence Texas Heat!

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Reviews: 12

The WGS Retro 30 is much better than both the Vet30 and V30.
Better highs, mids and lows. Great note articulation. Sounds great with my Laney, Soldano, 6505, JSX and Recto. Where the V30 and Vet30 sound less consistent from amp to amp.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Reviews: 12

Better highs, mids and lows. Great note articulation. Sounds great with my Laney, Soldano, 6505, JSX and Recto. Where the V30 and Vet30 sound less consistent from amp to amp.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 11:42 AM

If you are getting a nice Carvin soon why waste money on the bandit? You will spend more on a quality speaker then the whole amp is worth.

I'd just save my bucks toward the Carvin.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Noord View Post

I like that speaker too lol They sound great (at least in the demos), they are so cheap and american made... I'm gonna get a pair soon.

This is a clip of the retro 30s, the guitar with a dimarzio super distortion pickup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMlvCHPODKk
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I like that speaker too lol They sound great (at least in the demos), they are so cheap and american made... I'm gonna get a pair soon.

This is a clip of the retro 30s, the guitar with a dimarzio super distortion pickup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMlvCHPODKk
The comments say that was in a Bandit, and man it sounds good! Is that George Lynch playing in the video? I saw him at a clinic here just outside Detroit. That guy can shred. Another top notch player you don't hear so much about.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
If you are getting a nice Carvin soon why waste money on the bandit? You will spend more on a quality speaker then the whole amp is worth.

I'd just save my bucks toward the Carvin.
That's why I said i didn't want to spend an arm and a leg. Not getting the Carvin for 3-4 months and I have to play some gigs in the meantime. Plus it will make a nice backup.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyordeath View Post
I don't want a speaker too "tinny" as it will sound terrible w/ the Evos I think (or too muddy!)
I don't want to turn this into a pickup discussion, but have you tried an Evo 2 in the bridge instead of a regular DP159? It helps more than you think.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsx View Post
I don't want to turn this into a pickup discussion, but have you tried an Evo 2 in the bridge instead of a regular DP159? It helps more than you think.
No, I am happy with the way it sounds. It is currently not to tinny at the moment. But I think if I got a real trebly speaker it might. That's all I was saying. That's the main reason i got a mahogany neck, and it does help the spikeyness.

Tags
bandit speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode