Speaker simulators, better than mics??? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Speaker simulators, better than mics???

Are this speaker simulators better that the classic mics?

I want to know the pros, cons and to know about this...

Palmergear . com make some...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 04:02 AM

Re: Speaker simulators, better than mics???

Speaker Simulators can come very close but never as good as the real deal. But at the same time, if the mic technique is poor, and the room is not adequate, and for the sake of saving time and money, there are great speaker simulators out there, Palmer comes to mind among the best, and as for modelers/processors, I'd say the Fractal Audio Axe F/X is the best amp/cab simulator ever made, you get all the amps you'll ever need, with all the speaker cabs you can think of, for around $1700.00, but if you are on a budget, I recommend Sansamp products, or the best for under $500.00 would be the Digitech GSP 1101, which I own, and I've gotten amazing results and more tones that I'd ever used. The Digitech is a 1 space rackmount unit, comparable to the Line6 in price, but way superior in tone, specially great reverbs by Lexicon. With all this said, still, if you can mic a great sounding speaker with your favorite amp, go for it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 09:16 PM

They are really good quality. I've tried the palmer stuff but I've found much better. I use an ISO cabinet as my speaker connection and load on my amp and what I do is run Trilium Labs convolution reverb with my Pro Tools setup and run the Redwirez Cabinet impulses through that program and they sound amazing! You can use any convolution reverb program or any program that can read impulses. Easy to use and setup.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Reviews: 59

Lots of variables here so there's no clear cut answer. Speaker sims are used on lots of records and are becoming a more accepted tool. For example, Satch has used a palmer speaker simulator for years. A good speaker simulator can be as good as a well placed mic.

The pros of the sim are that it's simpler than mic'ing, requires less space, and allows for recording at low volumes. The cons are that they often sound a bit sterile and lack some of the 3 dimensional sound qualities that can be captured using mics. I find sims perfectly adequate for rhythm guitars but I usually like a mic'd sound for my leads at least blended in with a sim if I use a sim at all.

The pros of mics are that they capture ambient noise of the room (sometimes a double edged sword) and therefore sound a bit livelier. The downside is that placement requires experimentation and it can get expensive because there is no such thing as an end all/be all mic for any source.

I don't have any experience with the Palmer, but like I mentioned, at least one pro has used their stuff.

Tags
simulators , speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode