SS Clean Tone for Multifx? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 23
Question SS Clean Tone for Multifx?

Hello eveyone. I have an MG100DFX combo, and I think the clean is fantastic. It's not tubelike, but it is enough for me (at least for now). A few weeks ago, I got a Digitech RP500 multi effects processor and tried to hook it up with the amp. I found it ok (haven't set it up much yet) and I feel that it has the potential to sound great when setup properly, but I am wondering if it would be the same for the rest of you guys. Knowing that there are a lot of "tone chasers" here in the jemsite forums, I would like to ask you guys if it would sound at least decent. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:10 AM

Re: SS Clean Tone for Multifx?

I had a marshall mg100 half stack about 9 years ago. I thought it was a good amp, not the best but it still sounded good. I also have an rp250 and did own an rp350 before they came out with the rp500. I like the sounds i get out of it but I don't really use it for much anymore except reverb. The distortions are decent in the rp250, I like to dial in the JCM modeled sound and put the gain around 50-60 and then boost it with a distortion box like a ts-9 or ts-808.

All in all, i think you could get a good sound out of that combination of gear. digitech multi-fx pedals are some of the best sounding multi-fx out there IMO.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thank you. How about the effects loop? Should I use it or should I run the RP in front of the amp?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapprentice View Post
Ok, thank you. How about the effects loop? Should I use it or should I run the RP in front of the amp?
You should try it out then. Compare em both which you like through the effects loop are up front. Personally I never like multi effect through effects loop, more time consuming to get the sound you want, you need to tweak and tweak and tweak. I normally go through earphone to my multifx and dial in to what I want and then plug it into the input and tweak those bass mid and treble knob to get what I want, much more easier, plus the plugging into the input jack you'll have more punch and better presence, but be sure to turn off those cabinet modelling in your fx or else it'll alter your sound completely.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
You should try it out then. Compare em both which you like through the effects loop are up front. Personally I never like multi effect through effects loop, more time consuming to get the sound you want, you need to tweak and tweak and tweak. I normally go through earphone to my multifx and dial in to what I want and then plug it into the input and tweak those bass mid and treble knob to get what I want, much more easier, plus the plugging into the input jack you'll have more punch and better presence, but be sure to turn off those cabinet modelling in your fx or else it'll alter your sound completely.
going through the back of the amp bypasses the preamp...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
going through the back of the amp bypasses the preamp...
Yeap I know that, what I'm saying is many people thought by using the multifx preamp modelling they get the real thing but no... It's still an effect so use it like an effect not treating a multifx as a bunch of expensive amp in a small box
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

I am actually going to do amp modelling with it. I don't really expect convincing sounds from the RP500, but at the very least usable ones. So what should I use then? The input or the fx loop?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 AM

ok if you put it in the effects loop, don't turn on any of the amp modeling, cabinet modeling, distortion or anything like that. if you are using it for distortion and modeling you HAVE to put it out front.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the time everyone.=)

Tags
clean channel , marshall mg , rp500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode