Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible.. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 112
Reviews: 2
Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible..

Hey guys,

Issues with the amp. I use Alot of gain, and even when the volume is down on the guitar it has a constant, crrrrrrrrrrrrrarararrrrarararrrrrrr coming from the speakers. A guy I know seems to think it it was a problem with the ground. So he said before you go buy a pedal, try filing down the larger prong on a 3 from adapter and flip the cord upside down to reverse the polarity. Well that didn't work. so would a simple noise gate, or suppressor help? If so, are there any cheap(ish) that work well?

Thanks, Jake.
eyebahnez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 01:49 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland OH
Posts: 1,142
Reviews: 59
Re: Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible..

I think to better help with the diagnosis, we need a bit more information. The most common cause, as you said is inadequate grounding as well as RF interference. If you're using a tube, it could also be tube related noise/microphonics.

Is the static perceptible when playing at volume?
Are you still getting a guitar signal through?
Is this static a recent development?
Does it occur regardless of where you plug it in at your house?
Does it happen with the guitar completely unplugged from the amp?
Are you getting it with just a guitar plugged in, with guitar + effects, etc.?

Answer those and it'll be a easier to accurately diagnose the problem.
smooth55 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 01:58 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 941
Re: Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible..

Removing the ground is a very stupid idea.
musikron is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 112
Reviews: 2
Re: Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
I think to better help with the diagnosis, we need a bit more information. The most common cause, as you said is inadequate grounding as well as RF interference. If you're using a tube, it could also be tube related noise/microphonics.

Is the static perceptible when playing at volume?
Are you still getting a guitar signal through?
Is this static a recent development?
Does it occur regardless of where you plug it in at your house?
Does it happen with the guitar completely unplugged from the amp?
Are you getting it with just a guitar plugged in, with guitar + effects, etc.?

Answer those and it'll be a easier to accurately diagnose the problem.
1. It's not there while i play.
2. Yes guitar signal is fine.
3. No, it's always been there.
4. I've only tried in two room, My room and basement. It's a Halfstack, sooo.. not moving it around is the best idea..
5. No, When there is nothing plugged into the input, it's silent.
6. It's guitar to amp, no effects.
eyebahnez is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 03:47 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Whatever, no Big Brother.
Posts: 131
Reviews: 1
Re: Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible..

Have you ever tried another guitar into that amp?

I'm saying this because guitars have ground too, and when you lose the ground inside the guitar you get unwanted noise and static from your amp.

I have had this problem many times (after change pickups) and when a didn't have the proper care.

Make sure is not the guitar.
Vintage_freak_forever is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 112
Reviews: 2
Re: Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_freak_forever View Post
Have you ever tried another guitar into that amp?

I'm saying this because guitars have ground too, and when you lose the ground inside the guitar you get unwanted noise and static from your amp.

I have had this problem many times (after change pickups) and when a didn't have the proper care.

Make sure is not the guitar.
It does it with all guitars. I just got new pickups in my main guitar, but the guy who did the wiring, said he grounded the crap out of it. Sooo.. I'm, lost.
eyebahnez is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 04:42 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Whatever, no Big Brother.
Posts: 131
Reviews: 1
Re: Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebahnez View Post
It does it with all guitars. I just got new pickups in my main guitar, but the guy who did the wiring, said he grounded the crap out of it. Sooo.. I'm, lost.


If you think the amp is the responsable you could check some things like:

1.- Sometimes, when you have the spring reverb too close to the transformers (or speakers) and you don't have the proper shield, you get unwanted noise. You could check if without the reverb spring do the same noise.
2.- Check tube by tube, with a wood pencil. Turn on the amp, and touch tube by tube with the pencil, that's the way to detect a bad tube (bad tubes tend to make noise when you touch them with a piece of wood).
3.- Try to plug your amp to another power source
4.- What kind of cables are you using with your guitar? Cheap cables can add unwanted noise from many sources like a TV, cellphones, etc...
Vintage_freak_forever is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 05:07 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,878
Reviews: 4
Re: Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible..

Are you using the same lead? is it any diiferent on the clean channel, or different settings?
fwd0120 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 09:58 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland OH
Posts: 1,142
Reviews: 59
Re: Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible..

If you're not getting the static when there is no guitar plugged in, my guess is that it's something with the guitar/cable that's picking up the noise/interference and the amp is just amplifying it.
Does it have the static with the cable in without the guitar plugged into the other end? If it doesn't have the noise when a guitar is not plugged in and it does have the noise when any of your guitars are plugged in, it seems that the cable is the constant. As FW said, are you using the same lead cable?
If possible, I'd also try to restore your plug so that your amp doesn't fry with a power surge during the next thunderstorm.
smooth55 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 11:03 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 941
Re: Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible..

Some amps break the circuit when nothing is plugged in, what kind of amp is this? ( I am surprised no one has asked yet.)
musikron is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:42 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 101
Reviews: 1
Re: Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
Removing the ground is a very stupid idea.
BINGO!!!
xSoDopeImHeroinx is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Moderator
 
elcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: chicago
Posts: 9,592
Re: Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
Removing the ground is a very stupid idea.
I hope its an IEC type cable with the C13/C14 ends on it so you can easily replace it immediately
elcid is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 02:52 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: LA, cali
Posts: 119
Re: Staaaaaaatic. Not Static X, They're Horrible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebahnez View Post
Hey guys,

Issues with the amp. I use Alot of gain, and even when the volume is down on the guitar it has a constant, crrrrrrrrrrrrrarararrrrarararrrrrrr coming from the speakers. A guy I know seems to think it it was a problem with the ground. So he said before you go buy a pedal, try filing down the larger prong on a 3 from adapter and flip the cord upside down to reverse the polarity. Well that didn't work. so would a simple noise gate, or suppressor help? If so, are there any cheap(ish) that work well?

Thanks, Jake.


Is your guitar shielded?
Hating-pyramids is offline  
Reply

Tags
amplifier , noise gate , noise suppressor , static

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volume/Tone=Static Hum? Guitarist-Jonny Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 5 03-06-2009 09:43 AM
Amp is making a lot of static/noise pradador Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 0 01-25-2008 11:34 PM
OMG - This is horrible:( JJEMMER777 Off-topic / Miscellaneous 27 01-06-2007 02:47 AM
Static Mott Power Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 0 08-18-2006 03:39 AM
Static Electricity in my car. Gex Off-topic / Miscellaneous 2 03-25-2006 11:22 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome