Stereo 2x12 for a Rivera TBR-1SL - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Stereo 2x12 for a Rivera TBR-1SL

I may have finally found a TBR-1SL, and I'm going to need a cabinet for it. I heard this thing sounds dramatically different from cabinet to cabinet, and I'm looking for something in a stereo 2x12. What do you guys reccomend? A Rivera cab is the obvious choice, but the only local Rivera dealer doesn't stock any so I'd have to buy it without trying it first.

Thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 10:53 PM
rgr

You might want to try a Genz Benz G-Flex (www.genzbenz.com). They are big sounding 2-12s.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 11:06 PM

I had a Johnson 2x12 cab for a while--it was built like a tank, had stereo/mono operations, and was loaded with 2 Celestion Vintage 30's. Since a lot of places are closing out on Johnson gear, you may be able to find one for a couple hundred bucks new.

--B
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 11:31 PM

I've got both a TBR-1SL and a TBR-2SL, and have tried Mesa, Genz-Benz (the G-Flex in particular) and Marshall cabs only to find that the cabs that sound best are Rivera cabs

The G-Flex had a bit too much bass response and was kinda mushy. I found the Marshall 2x12 Vintage 30 cab to be pretty flat overall. The Mesa 2x12 cab sounded pretty good, but wasn't quite tight enough for my liking. But, once I found a couple of Rivera cabs....BINGO! The cabs that I've got now are (2) 2x12" vertical cabs (the fuzzy ones...can't remember the exact model number, but I'll check), and (1) single 12" Rivera cab. All are loaded with 75 watt Celestions. I've got the TBR-1SL in my rack right now, and usually use it live with the single 12" cab (primarily for convenience & portability). I've got the TBR-2SL set up at home in stereo and it's KILLER!

Of course, the best bet would be to try as many different cabs as you can once you get the TBR-1SL. If it doesn't already have one, just pick up a basic 4-space rack case for it and it'll be ready to travel to your local music stores
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks It's not for sure the amp is mine yet but I'm working on it. I'll try to find a rack case locally.

There's so much information available about Rivera cabs I'm a little lost. I'm looking for a horizontal stereo 2x12 cab.. What resistance do I need to look for? I don't suppose you happen to know a specific model number of a Rivera? The local store can order one in for me, but the guys are clueless and I have to know exactly what model number I want
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 09:49 AM

THe only downside I see to going with the Rivera cab is the size, they are nearly as big as some 4x12s, unless they have new design out that I am unaware of.

I have a Mesa recto 2x12 with V30s. It originally was a mono cab, but I rewired it for stereo or mono....mesa sent me the new plate and prewired all the jacks for me at no charge!! The best part about it aside from the sound is the size. It fits in my car with no problem...it is really really heavy, but at least it is reasonably compact. It is pretty midrangy with the V30s, but I find it compliments my Marshall very nicely.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy any rivera product as long as you can live with the size issues.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 10:17 AM

The 2x12" cabs that I have aren't much larger than a standard Recto 2x12"

Here's a pic of them:
http://members.aol.com/vaijem777/Riveraland.jpg

Here's the single 12" setup that I usually use live:
http://members.aol.com/vaijem777/Fullsetup.jpg

Also, the Rivera cabs do tend to be a bit larger because they're ported, which really seems to help the overall tone. The 2x12" cabs that I've got are rated at 4 Ohms, but the TBR's have an Ohm selector so that you can use 4, 8, or 16ohm speakers.

I'll check my 2x12"s tonight and will post the actual model number. They work great horizontally as well
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 10:34 AM

Is there a good place online to buy Rivera or Mesa cabinets?

BTW, Vaijem-is that a DEVO hat on top of the small amp in the pic?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 12:34 PM

LOL Yup...that's my official Devo "Energy Dome"! I've got two: one that I actually wore for this past Halloween (the whole band was Devo!) and one that's signed by the band

I haven't really found anywhere online that does much in Rivera. I've seen some GREAT deals on EBay though. The cabs that I've got are discontinued models (they were designed to go with the TBR series, and are from the early 90's).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 12:48 PM

..and the model is CS212, iirc

Check out the M/S Series page on www.rivera.com, theres a selection of cabs (altho iirc theyre open backed... the knucklehead cabs are closed backed with V30s if thats what you're after - they probably wont be stereo tho)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

My new TBR-1SL ships tomorrow! I'm so excited.

Now I have to go find a rack case.

Tags
bass response , celestion vintage , genz benz , local music store , marshall cabs , mesa cab , mesa recto , music store , ohm speaker , ohm speakers , space rack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode