The Steve Lukather sound - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 11:34 PM

Re: The Steve Lukather sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8m87 View Post
I think that when it comes to the "sound" its mostly about the guitar and gear. One of my friends is a very talented guitar player. Steve Lukather is also one of his influences. He plays a Fender Strat which his guitar tech has totally modified. I've always liked his tone and always tried to figure out why his guitar sounded different from other strats. So one day I actually played his guitar through his equipment and I was blown away! It "sounded" the same as if he was playing it. Of course, when it came to technique, I sounded nothing like him but when it came to the "sound" it sounded very similar. Like I said, his guitar tech modified the guitar to my friends liking.

I already said in another post

Tone is in this list:

1.- Guitar wood (very sutil change in your tone. An aged wood is gonna give you more sustain and some woods sound different, but they are a sutil change)
2.- Guitar strings ( .10 string sound better than .09, but they are hard to play. .08 strings are very easy to play but they sound so lame and bad... )
3.- Guitar pickups that capture that sound (they change the tone a lot, but not much).
4.- Guitar cable (very important, you could lose your treble with bad instrument cables. For instrument cables you need capacitance, for cables that goes from the amp to the speakers you just need less resistance).
5.- Guitar pedals and the order you use them on the pedalboard (very important in tone, a good pedal could sound marvelous with a good amp and not that good in a bad one, a bad pedal is gonna sound bad with any amp.
6.- Amps (lots of change in your tone)
7.- Speakers (they can change your tone entirely, from a real bad tone to a real good tone and must be the first upgrade if you want a real impovement in your tone, speakers are the vocal cords of your tone).
8.- The mic and the way you put it in front of the speaker

Play a single note with your friends gear, and then let your friend play the same single note. I can bet both get the same tone.

"Tone in the fingers is the most common lie from people who doesn't want to talk about gear", they don't want to share their tone secrets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dimarzio tone , distortion pedal , eddie van halen , ernie ball , ernie balls , gary moore , guitar players , ibanez guitars , ibanez roadstar , joe satriani , john petrucci , les paul , mesa boogie , neal schon , power amp , rack pre , roland cube , shawn lane , steve lukather , steve vai , van halen , volume pots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in