Steve Vai's amps - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Steve Vai's amps

I checked out Steve's site and saw some of the amps he used. Anyways, I am wondering about some tones, and i want to know what amp he used on these recordings, liberty and FTLOG off of Passion and Warfare. And it sounds like Bad Horsie and the distorted parts in Tender Surrender are the same amp as well, those are just some examples... Are these song indeed all played with the same amp? Which amp is it? Does he use a sustainer in any of these?

On Steve's site it says he used a number of different amps during this time period such as Soldano, Marshall, Bogner and Carvin. You will noticed that there serveral tones on each album. So those songs are examples of a tone I am after, so what amp is it? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Re: Steve Vai's amps

Passion and Warfare was recorded with a very heavily modded Marshall JCM-800.
Tender surrender was recorded with a Bogner Ecstasy into a Laney Poweramp (or vice versa) boosted with a DS-1.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I heard "marshall" on passion and warfare but not on those songs I listened, unless its brutally modded? Is the jcm800 what recorded those tunes i mentioned? anybody know?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

bump...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 12:51 AM

back in those days, steve hasnt have a sustainer yet
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

ahhh thanks thats good to know!

Again... Im specifically wondering about what he recorded FTLOG with? which amp? help!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

bump?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:46 PM

Did you try a quick search on the forum at vai.com? I would guess you'd get a quicker answer there.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 01:05 PM

Reviews: 16

I bought an old guitar world magazine. It came in yesterday. Steve was on the cover and I read the article. He was talking about his recording routine. They also interviewed the producer for Slip of the Tongue. He said that Steve had lots of different amps and they went thru them all. Picked like the best 10 and reduced it again. Then they switched out some tubes here and there trying to get that perfect sound and messed around with the mic position to get the "sweet spot".

In other words it's nothing that you could reproduce just by buying the same amp and cab. that he used in the recording. In his final list of amps many were the same. They sounded slightly different because of the mods, different tubes, etc.

You can get close by using the same amp and cab., but after that you have to start fiddling with the insides. I don't know if getting his tone is that important to you or not, but that's what the man does. He's very particular.

My suggestion would be to pick an amp that you like (for whatever reason) and fine tune your own tone.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post
He's very particular.
Not so much in that particular sense. 90% of the pro players record in that way.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 PM

Reviews: 1

I would say Eric Johnson is a tad more particular...eh?

Tags
eric johnson , modded marshall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode