Stomp boxes or Rack - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Stomp boxes or Rack

This is a question I have been pondering over for quite some time, stomp boxes or rack?

I can see there are pros and cost of both, not to mention in some cases a large financial difference.

I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinion on this?

Cheers

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:14 AM

Multieffect?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:35 AM

in both cases, dont exaggerate: the less, the better.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 08:12 AM

I think it's personal taste.
About a year ago I put together a pedal board. Bought some killer pedals (fulltone Choralflange, line6 dl4 delay, voodoo labs analog chorus, zvex seekwah, and a few others). I gigged for about a month with it and sold everything and went back to my G-Major and other rack gear. It just didn't feel the same. I love the idea of a pedal board, a guitar, and an amp. But I just couldn't get used to it.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 08:51 AM

Interesting, I did the exact opposite...went from rack full of stuff including a G-Major for my effects and canned it all for a good amp head and some nice pedals...I'm much happier. I couldn't get used to switching via midi and not being able to toggle my effects within a patch without dumping some major coin on a midi switching system that could handle that. I'd rather just mash some pedals and be done with it.

Don't kid yourself on the pedal route being cheaper though...good quality pedals with true bypass switching probably average around $125-$300 a pop. 3 or 4 pedals into your board runs you the same as a G-Major. It just depends on what floats your boat. THe G-Major is the best bang for the buck as far as rack effects go....as long as you have another means to create your distorted sounds.

I just like to be able to twist knobs and step on stuff to get the tones I want, I don't want to scroll through menus of parameters.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 09:05 AM

rack
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 09:57 AM

Al,
it depends on what you need: if you play Dream Theater kind of stuff you'll need a rack stuff.
but if you play SRV you'll need just a couple nice pedals thru a good tube amp, even a combo.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 11:24 AM

I've gone back and forth over the years between which is better, but finally arrived at the conclusion that the neither setup is actually "better" than the other. Both are very different. So, I've got one of each

The rack setup is for gigs with my original band, and the small combo/pedal setup is used for gigs with my blues band. It works out quite well! Although, as much as I love my rack, it's a pain in the a$$ to lug around, so I may be getting rid of some of it in the future. I'm in the market for another Matchless amp right now, and will most likely hang onto the G-Major and Ground Control Pro part of the rack setup.

It all boils down to personal taste. Everybody's ears and needs are different. Try as many different setups as possible and go with the one that is the most flexible and best suits your needs.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 11:37 AM

Reviews: 1
Why can't both exist in the same setup?
Most of my stuff is rack mounted, but with the ability to patch in extra loops and control them via midi, you can get the best of both worlds.
I have only one overdrive pedal and then everything else is midi or remote controlled rack gear. I'm planning on getting a newer whammy pedal for my rig since the units I've seen don't do what the whammy does as well. Its all a matter of taste and what works for you.
Theres always a way to do what you want.

Bamm
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
Don't kid yourself on the pedal route being cheaper though...good quality pedals with true bypass switching probably average around $125-$300 a pop.
Uneducated person like me would like to think that true bypass would be one of the simplest things to do...
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PekkaM
Uneducated person like me would like to think that true bypass would be one of the simplest things to do...
They are!

DPDT switch:

x-x <- true bypass - 2 poles linked together
x x
x x <- one pole to input effects circuit, the otehr pole to the output of the effects circuit

*left wondering why in the world effects manufacturers stick to buffered bypasses.*
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 09:26 AM

I like rack stuff, mainly 'coz I'm too lazy to bother bending over and adjusting stuff on the floor.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 09:28 AM

After many years and lots of money wasted i've come to the conclusion that neither setup is better and neither is cheaper/more expensive. I know obvious but i'm a student on a budget.

I started out with a boss ds-1 when i was 12. Realised it was gonna take me forever to save 50 pounds a time for a pedal and bought a zoom 1010 (ha ha sooo funny now). I guess i was happy with that for my age and the time.

I then realised it sounded like 5 cats in a bag being kicked and went for the rack option. Being as i only ever haad cheap solid state amps,( i had a marshall valvestate) so i thought of getting a tube pre-amp/multi-effects processor. To solve all my problems!!

And again I was happy for a while, except the tone was still thin, and although i'm comfortable with menu's patching routing and other midi related stuff...the experience didn't feel right.

So by the time I got to college I finally realised I needed a real setup. And that the money I had spent on the digitech 2120 and controller and rack, I could've bought a very nice amp and some pedals.

So i sell the digitech and valvestate and begin looking at tube amps and stomp boxes. After months of demo'ing amps, the only kind I find that actually can do everything i'm asking for is mesa boogie's. (bareing in mind i actually am playing in a dream theater cover band, and jazz combo's, as well as classic rock stuff). Then I look at the price tag of $1700 for the cheapest one that i want.

But I bit the bullet and used my student overdraft to pay for some of it. And that was heaven then, finally a sound that was real and like what i'd been hearing form all the greats. Now the pedals. I went to the US for the summer last year and picked up some boss stompers very cheaply (compared to the UK) on ebay. So I had the basic chorus and delay, shelled out a bit more on a japan made ds-1. A bit later I got a whammy reissue (WH4) and a bad horise. And i'm fairly sure (touch wood) that this is gonna be a keeper...except its just not enough.

As one dude mentioned for the dream theater stuff I do need some patching ability for certain songs, lik e set delay times and pitch harmonising in and out etc. So i'm begining to dream up an extension to my basic rig. This envolves hooking up a G-Major (is taht the cheaper one, well the cheaper one anyway), a small switcher for that.

The other problem with going the pedals route is that it gets addictive cause they sound so good. And there is something satisfying about stomping on a chunky pedal and hearing a new sound! And eventually you'll realise that you want some nice boutiue pedals. So now i'm badly after a fulltone fulldrive, ultimate octave and choralflanger, a carl martin compressor is on the list too. Ha hah ah

So as you can see, I finally found what works for me. But in fact if I had been honest and realistic about it I would have realised it a lot sooner. It doesn't matter whether you go for pedals or a rack, but there is no skimping on quality. If you dont pay the big bucks you aren't gonna here that classic quality tone, rack or pedals.

So now i'm looking at completeing my simple yet very versatile system. COmprising of around 8 actual pedals/stompers and a g-major for the patching. This way I can take it all if i want/need to, OR and this is the big factor I can tailor the pedal board to suit the gig or situation thus cutting down on space time and potential thievery!!! Sometimes I'll just need the mesa the g-major and a wah wah for the DT band, however my experimental funk/jazz/rock/whatever band needs a more expressive setup.

You get the picture. Resign yourself to spending a lot of money on high quality stuff, rack and pedals quickly. Else i'm fairly sure you'll end up spending a lot more in the long run trying to achieve a solution that appears cheaper for the short term.

Track 7
man i wrote a lote for a simple Q&A
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 09:50 AM

If you want to have a lot little variations in your sound, such different delays settings and reverb settings, racks are the way to go. But if you like the "less is more" route, a couple pedals will be fine. I perfer rack stuff, even if I only need a couple effects. I hate having effects boxes by my feet, but I don't mind channel switchers and midi pedals. Just a wierd preference of mine.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by track7
I started out with a boss ds-1 when i was 12. Realised it was gonna take me forever to save 50 pounds a time for a pedal and bought a zoom 1010 (ha ha sooo funny now). I guess i was happy with that for my age and the time.
1010's aren't bad if you're just screwing around (especially with the modulation stuff)... if you want real tone though...

Tags
amp head , electric guitar , fender deluxe , fender deluxe reverb , guitar players , keeley mod , marshall valvestate , mesa boogie , mesa rectifier , midi controller , midi pedal , overdrive pedal , pedal board , power amp , pro combo , rack setup , solid state amp , solid state amps , speaker cab , stomp box , tube amp , tube amps , voodoo lab , voodoo labs , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode