Storing Guitars?? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Storing Guitars??

I was just wondering how some of you go about storing guitars that you don't play anymore. I've got a few guitars that I don't think I'll be playing much (if at all) since I got a Jem7VWH and JS1000 this year.

I thought about selling them, but for various I can't bring myself to do it. The RG560 was the first new guitar I ever bought, the RG570 is sweet, and was signed by Mr. Vai, and the RG450 my wife bought me as an engagement gift, so selling that is probably not a good idea.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 09:58 PM

Since I've been playing Ibanez exclusively for the past year, my Warmoth Strat barely gets played at all any more. Occasionally, I take it to gigs as a third backup guitar, and I sometimes use it in drop D tuning for one song if we choose to include it in our setlist for the evening.

I've had it in it's case for up to 2 years back when I was going through my Les Paul / Explorer phase. It has a Floyd Rose on it and I've always kept it tuned at pitch. It's kept in it's case, in my bedroom closet. I've never experienced a problem with the neck twisting or bowing from being stored in tune.

The last time I played it, was about 2 months ago. I had it out to take some photos with my new digital camera. In fact, as I was typing this post, I got her out, plugged in, and voila - she's still in tune.

Just my experience. Your mileage may vary.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 10:15 AM

I hang 'em all up. That way, they all get played somewhat, and I can better justify having them all.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

I have a good size home, but I don't really have anywhere that I could hang them. My downstairs has a lot of moisture, (and causes alot of oxidation on the frets, screws, PUPs, etc..) so I keep all of my guitars upstairs in one of our extra bedrooms. The room is a bit colder than the rest of the house, but its the best I've got.

Anyway, I keep all of my guitars in their cases at all times, unless I'm playing them. I keep 1 to 3 packets of silica beads, in each case. I don't believe in lying the cases flat, I usually rest them on the side of the case, so they are basically in playing position when stored.

Any suggestions?

Tags
floyd rose , les paul , warmoth strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode