straight vs angled cabinets (marshall 1960A vs B) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
straight vs angled cabinets (marshall 1960A vs B)

In terms of beefyness, thud, bass feeling, is there a lot of difference between both cabs of a same brand?
Even at low volumes I like to feel this punch in there.

Thanks for your opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: straight vs angled cabinets (marshall 1960A vs B)

I always use angled cabs if run like a half stack.
That way, I get the top 2 speakers angled up at me.

I don't notice any more bottom end that way--just clarity.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 05:04 PM

Agree with Rob. If you're only running a half stack the angled cabs sound clearer due to the speakers being angled up at you. Actual tonal response between the same cabs straight & angled should be very similar though.

If you're looking for "punch" you're prob going to want to stick with sealed back cabs. The sealed back cabs tend to be tighter and punchier than the open back cabs.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it is supposed to be half stack. So you guys wouldn't think a straight cab would have a real noticable bottom end compared to its identical angled brother? 1960's are closed back so np there. Cloed backs indeed have more bottom end.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 06:24 PM

i`ve owned both and the straight cab did seem to have a deeper sound to it,not sure why,could be the slight design changes or just the fact the top 2 speakers are not pointing up.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 06:53 PM

I always use the B cab if only using a single cab,its a bigger cab so more meat in the tone.
The last Marshall stack i owned advised this also in the manual.
Loads of guitarists only use B cabs even when stacking myself included,in fact i only own B's now.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
I always use the B cab if only using a single cab,its a bigger cab so more meat in the tone.
The last Marshall stack i owned advised this also in the manual.
Loads of guitarists only use B cabs even when stacking myself included,in fact i only own B's now.
Yeah in the Marshall 1960 series particularly, the B cabs do seem to be a little bassier/boomier but they are also heavier, slightly larger than the A's so it's not really te same comparison as, say, the Mesa Recto cabs. The Rectos are pretty comparable said from the angle/straight cab design and sure enough they sound virtually the same. Same deal with my 5150 cabs. So diff manufacturers may actually have differences between cabs that go beyond the angle/straight design. Just do a little homework & try to hit a GC & test run some cabs before you buy.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 02:31 AM

Even with Mesa's and Peavey,B cab has more air.
There's loads of info on-line on this subject,usually connected with studio's and sound engineer's.
I also caulk all my cabs for complete seal and also use baffling to settle boom frequencies.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll probably go for a B. It will probably be a marshall since it will be a marshall head. I like m matching.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode