strange cable mod? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

strange cable mod?

A friend of mine was telling me he was going to make his own guitar cables as follows:

A normal guitar cable has is a coacial cable with one central conductor(+) and the shielding (-).

To reduce noise this friend is going to make (buy) cables with 2 core conductors and one shielded cable. The 2 core (+ and -) cables are to transfer the signal and the shielding will be connected at only 1(!) side of the (-) central conductor.

Is this true or is he just fooling me? He seemed serious and he is a real audio freak...what an audio setup at his living room!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 02:23 PM

Re: strange cable mod?

Is this necessary? I've never experienced noise from a good-quality 'normal' guitar cable.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemke
A friend of mine was telling me he was going to make his own guitar cables as follows:

A normal guitar cable has is a coacial cable with one central conductor(+) and the shielding (-).

To reduce noise this friend is going to make (buy) cables with 2 core conductors and one shielded cable. The 2 core (+ and -) cables are to transfer the signal and the shielding will be connected at only 1(!) side of the (-) central conductor.

Is this true or is he just fooling me? He seemed serious and he is a real audio freak...what an audio setup at his living room!
Sounds completely pointless to me!
Buy a good quality regular guitar lead and you won't get any problems.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 02:56 PM

It's called an unbalanced connection with a floating shield. Theoretically, it can help in some situations. Might be worth a shot just for kicks. But in reality, the cable isn't usually the issue with guitar noise pickup; the pickups are. Against this, what noise a reasonable length of good quality cable adds (that is, short enough to not hurt the highs) is negligable.

If this were a panacea, all the major cable makers would be pushing them.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 05:00 PM
rgr

I've shielded connections of gain stages of amps I've modded like this, it helps some, can't see where it would make that big a difference for a guitar cable though.

Jester is right, if it made a difference someone would already be making them and selling them for outrageous amounts of $.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 05:34 PM

Planet Waves cables are made like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

ok thanks!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 11:42 AM

Reviews: 6

i threw out all my cables one day and bought a bunch of monster cables, haven't looked back since
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 07:07 PM

Good for you. Why didn't you give your old cables to a starving blues guitarist instead of wasting them?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 11:47 PM

Kooky
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
It's called an unbalanced connection with a floating shield. Theoretically, it can help in some situations. Might be worth a shot just for kicks. But in reality, the cable isn't usually the issue with guitar noise pickup; the pickups are. Against this, what noise a reasonable length of good quality cable adds (that is, short enough to not hurt the highs) is negligable.

If this were a panacea, all the major cable makers would be pushing them.
Depends if the conductor wires are the same size or different if it's unbalanced, but you're right on here.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
Depends if the conductor wires are the same size or different if it's unbalanced, but you're right on here.
Actually, the gauge of the conductors has nothing to do with it. If the 2 internal conductors have separate contacts from the shield, it's balanced (well, it CAN be - it's determined by the gear, not the cable, but such a cable could be USED for a balanced connection). That requires 3 conductors - a 1/4" tip/ring/sleeve, an XLR, etc. But that's not what he described - he says the shield shares a contact on one end with one of the conductors. So there's only 2 contacts. That's unbalanced.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 08:14 PM

Oh my bad. Would help if I read between the lines
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 10:02 AM

This type of cable is common among all high-end cables out there. The real question is does it improve sound? In reality connecting the ground at one end only (flotaing ground) makes the cable directional - that is, the end that has the ground connected you should plug into the amp. Monster, Planet waves and others make cable like this. This creates problems though because it is easy to forget which end end to plug in where, and in reality there is no sonic difference (even when you accidently pulg on of these in the wrong way), and generally having a non-floating ground (shield soldered at both ends) is better for noise rejection.

Lava Man
www.lavacable.com

Tags
monster cable , planet waves , planet waves cables

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode