Straplocks for my JEM :-| -- what are you using? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Straplocks for my JEM :-| -- what are you using?

I bought Schaller straplocks for my JEM, but the screws are much smaller so they really aren't secure. The JEM's original screws for the buttons don't fit through the Schallers.

I curious what others are using or options I might be missing.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 10:26 AM

on one of my jems i use a strap (i will remember the name later) which fits around the Ibanez strap lock buttons

remind me later and I will look it up!

on the others I use Dimarzio screws and clip lock straps
e.g. http://www.jemfest.com/misc/simon/oz/end2.jpg

cheers

Simon
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 12:10 AM

Here's a tip that might help. Take a tooth pick or two and stick them into your original screw hole for the strap buttons. Break them off flush ( or cut them) and dab a little wood glue in there. You can then use your screws that came with your schaller locks and will have a nice tight fit. I'm a firm believer in shaller straplocks and have used this little trick to great success on all of my guitars. I hope this helps you out!

Ryan
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk
on one of my jems i use a strap (i will remember the name later) which fits around the Ibanez strap lock buttons

it is a SURE-LOCK strap
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgto
Here's a tip that might help. Take a tooth pick or two and stick them into your original screw hole for the strap buttons. Break them off flush ( or cut them) and dab a little wood glue in there. You can then use your screws that came with your schaller locks and will have a nice tight fit. I'm a firm believer in shaller straplocks and have used this little trick to great success on all of my guitars. I hope this helps you out!

Ryan
Yep, that's what I did too ... only I didn't have wood glue at the time. I just stuffed the holes with as many toothpicks as I could so tight that nothing would come out (I very carefully used a jeweler's hammer to get the last ones in) then rescrewed the holes. That was about a year ago and I've had no problems since. I would however suggest the wood glue procedure just to be sure.

LJ
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 12:07 PM

DiMarzio Clip Locks
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:

it is a SURE-LOCK strap
How well does the Sure Lock work?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 03:19 AM

no problems with the strap for the last 10 years and it is still in active use
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 03:55 AM

Yeh - DiMarzio clip-locks all the way.....and they look pretty good too!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 06:34 AM

I love that seatbelt material. Its like silk compared to the normal straps Ive used that rub your exposed neck and make it sore and raw.

Just watch the clip when you put your guitar in the case. Never put the clips on the guitar. If you have a Jem or a similiar guitar you can fold the one on the cutaway out towards the storage compartment and the other one you have to fold so it sticks outside the case.

Ive used them for years. Ive always been carefull and despite warnings from other people Ive never scratched my guitar.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 07:15 AM

DiMarzio ClipLock.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 09:54 AM

I've got one of those Planet Waves locking straps (can't remember the exact name right now), and it's great, except for a few things I had to fix: The backs of the strap ends (the parts that clip onto the guitar) are rubber, with bumps, and they not only scuff up the finish on your guitar, they prevent natural movement of the guitar while playing. Easily fixed by putting a piece of cloth the size of the strap ends with a hole in the middle for the strap button between them and the guitar. Another problem is that it started to unscrew the strap buttons on my guitar, so I popped the strap buttons out and epoxied them back in. Apparently wood glue has a habit of corroding things like screws, so that's why I used something else.

And in my testing I discovered that when hit with a LOT of force, the ends pop open and almost fall apart (probably would have if I had pushed a little harder on my guitar), but it takes a LOT to do that. Still wouldn't mind a better design for the strap ends.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 01:38 PM

Just like many others here stated, the Dimarzio Strap-lock is the answer. The best damn strap out there! btw - if the screw holes get stripped in the guitar, use a bit of wood glue in the hole and it takes care of it no problem.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
Yeh - DiMarzio clip-locks all the way.....and they look pretty good too!
I have to agree with you on that.....
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 05:39 PM

any one try the cotton dimarzio clip lock straps (as opposed to the nylon)?

How do those feel?

Tags
clip lock strap , clip lock straps , cliplock strap , cliplock straps , dimarzio clip lock , dimarzio clip lock strap , dimarzio clip lock straps , dimarzio cliplock , dimarzio cliplock strap , dimarzio cliplock straps , dimarzio strap , guitar shop , planet waves , strap button , strap buttons , strap lock , strap locks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode