Strat pickup replacements - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Question Strat pickup replacements

Ok, I've been kicking around a lot of ideas about how to customize this strat. So far I've decided that it needs a fishman piezo bridge in replacement of the regular vintage style trem. I've also decided that it really needs the active preamp too, which is optional but i've been made aware that it greatly improves the tone. The thing I'm not sure about is what to get as far as the magnetic pickups are concerned. I'd prefer to stick with single coils, both seymour duncan and dimarzio have some nice options. I must admit that loading this guitar with the single coil sized humbuckers is also quite tempting. Do they still have the same clear tone as single coils? (I had my eye on the little screamin demon in the bridge, the cool rails or duckbucker in middle and the little 59 in the neck.) It'll be a little while before i make a decision. I'd like to spend some more time with the guitar and see what comes out when i play it. That usually helps me decide but i do really value the input i get on this forum. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 11:10 AM

Re: Strat pickup replacements

The Vintage Rails is the best side-by-side single sized humbucker I've tried for getting the clear tone of a single. The Duckbucker is basically the V.R. with adjustable poles, and I find that to be a drawback. They're too small. The magnetic field now has to transport through these tiny little dots. The rails blades aren't any thicker, but they're solid. Because of my non-love affair with the little screw poles, I personally would maybe try the Dimarzio tracks instead. I have a Fast Track that I love, so maybe the Chopper in the bridge, Vintage Rails middle, and Cruiser in the neck. Or for a little more oomph all the way around, a Fast Track 2 bridge, Fast Track 1 middle, Pro Track neck.

If you go hotter like that, then there's still enough output in those pickups to coil split them for an extremely clean vintage strat type of sound. If you chose the first recomendation, then the output would be usable if you split them, but you'd probably find it very low.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:48 PM

Re: Strat pickup replacements

A clean and clear strat pickup would be the JB Jr. For something in between clean and dirty I'd go for the Lil' Screamin' Demon and for the hot dirty bridge pickup I'd go for a Hot Rails.

Tags
bridge pickup , coil split , magnetic pickups , piezo bridge , seymour duncan , vintage strat , vintage style trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode