String bending and floating trems - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

String bending and floating trems

Hi folks. I am new to the world of floating trems and relitively new (18 months in!) at guitar playing in general.

Recently bought an RG with the cheapy edge III bridge.

I am finding when bending strings, particularly in the higher registry, that the trem tilts forward and puts the other strings out of tune. No matter what method I employ of damping the strings above and below the one being bent, once amped up you can still hear it!

I can cleanly bend strings on my GIO with the vintage trem and my hardtail Schecter, so I don't think it is technique issue.

Any other ideas? Or is this an inherent thing with floating trems? Which may account for why I don't see any blues players using them?

Please help to put my mind at rest.

And don't laught at my gear!! Gotta start somewhere right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: String bending and floating trems

Blues players don't use trems because......they're blues players,they're closed minds just like metal players who think a metal player should only plays metal lol

How many guitarists you see using trems?
Do you hear that problem with Vai,Satch,Malmsteen whoever?
Nope.
So obviously the problem is there.
I don't know how to fix it cause I never had that problem or any problem with trems.
Generally when I'm bending a note(s) while my left hand is bending it's mutting the others strings.It's automatic so I never payed attention to that.
And of course everytime you bend a note(s) trem will always move,it was made to do that
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:06 AM

Reviews: 25

The only reason you should see this as a problem is if you want to bend a string and then ring out an open string at the same time. Bending a string will pull the other strings out of tune untill you return the bend.

This is because all the strings are joined for lack of better words. A fixed bridge allows each string to bend indepentantly of the entire trem.

pros and cons on both sides of the trem argument..

As long as you dont want to bend a string and ring out another, you should be fine with a floating.

I find that after many years using the Edge trem, I just know what my limits are when bending 2 strings, I know exactly how far I can go before I create bad sounding notes.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 PM

Reviews: 120

Yep, inherent issue with floating trems. You cab install a Tremol-no so you can lock the bridge when not using the whammy bar. Ive got a couple installed, they are great.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:50 PM

Reviews: 3

that happens with floating trems, and can even happen with the fender trems
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 AM

This cannot be avoided when trying to sound the note you're bending up and an open string simultaneously, but if you're bending up a note to sound in unison with a fretted note on the next string (a common blues/rock feature) you can address this by microbending the second fretted note to be in tune again.

Alternatively you could grab the trem and keep things in tune, but that's quite a bit harder, you're better off wobbling the trem around a bit.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Doesn't work
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 PM

Reviews: 57

I block any of my floaters so that they only go down, and don't pull up. I've had a few nightmares at shows while using floating bridges, breaking a string mid-song.. things like that. With a blocked trem I can still usually pull off the song until the end and then switch.

Anyway, after blocking I generally tighten up my springs, pluck the low E, and bend up the B string 15th fret a whole step. If the E string drops pitch, I tighten again.. repeat until I can bend the B string a while step with E string still ringing in tune.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:47 PM

Blocking it would defeat the purpose of a floating trem.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM

Reviews: 4

Another fix is a stabilizer.It won't take away the ability to pull like a blocker.Here's a good article on tremolo stabilizers http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/

Last edited by guitarnub3; 02-23-2011 at 04:45 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Reviews: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
Blocking it would defeat the purpose of a floating trem.
Yup...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Yep, inherent issue with floating trems. You cab install a Tremol-no so you can lock the bridge when not using the whammy bar. Ive got a couple installed, they are great.

Wow that sounds like a great fix to most of MY floating trem problems.

Thanks for the tip!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Yes the Tremol-no look very promising.

Another cheaper alternative, or temporary one, that I was told of at my local shop was to try wrapping a scrunchy around/over the strings of the first fret. Not sure what you call them outside of Austalia, but all I mean by scrunchy is an elasticated hair band!!

Sound odd, well it works, the hair band gently mutes all strings except for those you are fretting. Of course you loose the open strings ringing out fully, though they still sound if though they are being palm muted.

Try it, simple and it works. Though I am still gonna buy a tremol-no as they are relitively cheap, and see what there like.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 AM

The open strings ringing out seems like a completely unrelated problem.
You need to work on fret hand muting, pick hand and palm muting as far as I can tell.

Tags
floating trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode