Studio Monitors - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,024
Studio Monitors

Can anyone recommend me a good pair of studio monitors? I don't really want to spend much, but I know nothing about what is out there. Thanks.
nato101010 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 05:25 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: LR, AR
Posts: 1,982
Re: Studio Monitors

price?

krk rp series would be my pick on a budget. one of the best bang for the buck is the adam a7. i will be getting a pair of those next year along with a pair of yamaha ns-10's.

best advice, get the best you can afford for your budget, then wait and add double to that for the pair...at least $100 more. good monitoring, a treated room, one nice preamp channel, and a decent selection of mics are very important.

rich
rty13ibz98 is offline  
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,024
Re: Studio Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
price?

krk rp series would be my pick on a budget. one of the best bang for the buck is the adam a7. i will be getting a pair of those next year along with a pair of yamaha ns-10's.

best advice, get the best you can afford for your budget, then wait and add double to that for the pair...at least $100 more. good monitoring, a treated room, one nice preamp channel, and a decent selection of mics are very important.

rich
As for a price, I have no idea how much they go for in the 1st place, so i'm kinda lost on my range.

They are mostly going to be for listening to music. They sound amazing wherever they are it seems!


I'll check into both those sets.
nato101010 is offline  
post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 PM
 
jb4674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA - USA
Posts: 4,612
Reviews: 18
Re: Studio Monitors

Also, check the M-Audio BXa8 Deluxes if you can get a pair since they've introduced a new model this year.

Jimmy
jb4674 is offline  
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:48 PM
 
IbanezFreak777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,163
Reviews: 25
Behringer for the win
IbanezFreak777 is offline  
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:37 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: LR, AR
Posts: 1,982
Re: Studio Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Behringer for the win
seriously?

if he were looking for a set of budget monitors, the blue sky exo should be on the top of the list.
for serious monitoring, i would never use the behringer truths, but to each their own. sorry, guys, i have moved more away from the guitar side of things and more into the real world of studio recording, not as much the home recordist. i have read jemaholic's(no offense meant, btw) recommendation of the behringer truths. for a budget, they are well advertised. doesn't mean there isn't better out there for the same price point. in the pro audio community, the behringer truths are a joke and are used to listen to mixes as reference to a crappy system. for just listening to music in an untreated environment, any "expensive" set of computer speakers will work. for mixing and mastering, quality nearfields are a whole different league.

also, the bx8a are not bad speakers. i personally wouldn't want to mix on them, but like them for monitoring electronic drums and keyboards. i would not trust a mix on them. the lows are muddy and the highs are lacking and they sound hollow to my ears. in my room it is well treated and my mix position is eq'd as flat. my mixes translate well in every system i have run them into and i guess my ears are super picky. i have also conferred with several individuals about their views about both the behringer truths and the m-audio bx line and the opinions are always the same as mine and i ask with no loaded bias. please guys, take no offense in what i am saying, there is just a closed minded-ness to the jemsite/guitar player mentality on the part of professional recording. guys like albee and rip are at that level, as is manfromplanetx and myself now.

rich
rty13ibz98 is offline  
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:29 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Portland
Posts: 473
Re: Studio Monitors

Keep in mind that monitors are not made to "sound good", but rather, to sound neutral, acurate, and flat, to let you hear what's really going on. So when you go out to audition some sets, be wary of ones that sound flattering and make the recording sound better than it really is.

There are some good deals to be had, especially on the used market. I suggest something with at least an 8" woofer, so you can get accurate low frequency extension. I use a sub with my 8" nearfields, not for low end "hype", but for further extension down to 30 Hz.

I use my system for casual listening too. This lets me really hear the music, while simultaneously keeping my ear in tune with the monitors. After a while, it becomes like an old pair of underwear; You know exactly how everything should fit.

I hesitate to recommend brands and models, as my favorite old pair of underwear may or may not fit someone else. But I will say that if you cheap out, you will eventually go to upgrade, thus being out the money you originally spent on your cheapos, plus the money for the nice ones. In addition, your ear would endure some poisoning along the way, and it would take longer to adjust to a real professional set.

I always err on the side of getting fewer things of higher quality and adding to them later, rather than have to upgrade and update a whole series of cheap parts. You're only as good as your weakest link.
Doink is offline  
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: LR, AR
Posts: 1,982
Re: Studio Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doink View Post
Keep in mind that monitors are not made to "sound good", but rather, to sound neutral, acurate, and flat, to let you hear what's really going on. So when you go out to audition some sets, be wary of ones that sound flattering and make the recording sound better than it really is.

There are some good deals to be had, especially on the used market. I suggest something with at least an 8" woofer, so you can get accurate low frequency extension. I use a sub with my 8" nearfields, not for low end "hype", but for further extension down to 30 Hz.

I use my system for casual listening too. This lets me really hear the music, while simultaneously keeping my ear in tune with the monitors. After a while, it becomes like an old pair of underwear; You know exactly how everything should fit.

I hesitate to recommend brands and models, as my favorite old pair of underwear may or may not fit someone else. But I will say that if you cheap out, you will eventually go to upgrade, thus being out the money you originally spent on your cheapos, plus the money for the nice ones. In addition, your ear would endure some poisoning along the way, and it would take longer to adjust to a real professional set.

I always err on the side of getting fewer things of higher quality and adding to them later, rather than have to upgrade and update a whole series of cheap parts. You're only as good as your weakest link.
i agree with this post about 90%. everything is legit, but i do feel compelled to make recommendations, especially here on jemsite. most of the individuals on this site are guitar players with very little knowledge of the studio. this makes for a lot of misinformation and a ton of consumer level/prosumer gear is recommended with no emphasis on room acoustics, quality of recordings, and the state of the recording industry. i am a regular visitor to gearslutz, tapeop, and studio forums where actual industry professionals regularly visit and post. the knowledge that they dispense is amazing. i come back to my old home of jemsite and find behringer being recommended for a multitude of things and i am shocked. i say this as i have a couple of behringer pieces in my rig, i have weeded out the majority of stuff that was tone suckers. as for live sound on a budget, i like behringer gear. for commiting tracks to tape, stay the hell away from it.

rich
rty13ibz98 is offline  
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:01 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7
Re: Studio Monitors

Alesis M1 Active. The only monitor you can get for the price with rear mounted speakers.
Vercetti50 is offline  
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 03:44 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gardendale, Alabama
Posts: 1,206
Reviews: 39
Re: Studio Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
for serious monitoring, i would never use the behringer truths
amen.

I like the KRK RP8s, or the Yamaha HS80's.

The KRKs will color the bass a little more, and the Yamahas are a little more transparent, but both are exceptional studio monitors for professional or hobbyist mixing. I've used them both. (I prefer the KRK's really since they are a little bass heavy and you can reference them against a headphones mix...)
SonicProvocateur is offline  
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 12:21 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 14
Re: Studio Monitors

+1 for KRK active monitors. I love em, wish I could afford a pair.
satchman1000 is offline  
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 04:12 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 422
Re: Studio Monitors

what gives man, why are you resurrecting ancient threads?
anuj is offline  
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vienna
Posts: 41
Re: Studio Monitors

I bought Adam A5 this year, incredible sound quality. I can't listen my home stereo now.
In shop I had a chance to make a direct comprasion with other brands, in my opinion Adam totally outperform all competitors in own price range.
Slavik27 is offline  
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vienna
Posts: 39
Re: Studio Monitors

ADAM A7X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting those for christmas. Did a listening/comparison test in the music store and they own. I'm buying them at that music store and not online (I is honorable person)
georg_f is offline  
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Shropshire, U.K.
Posts: 55
Re: Studio Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercetti50 View Post
Alesis M1 Active. The only monitor you can get for the price with rear mounted speakers.
I have a pair of these and find them great for mixing. Pretty loud too if you need them to be.
Hurricane Kid is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home Studio Monitors Help! ANT5150 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 13 09-04-2009 09:21 AM
Studio monitors? Myst and rain Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 30 03-17-2009 02:19 PM
FS/T: Event 20/20bas studio monitors and 20/20/12 sub. EX shape! ecalcagnino Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 04-09-2006 01:16 PM
Advice about Studio Monitors ! ? dimitar Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 7 05-04-2004 09:25 AM
Studio Monitors RSVampire Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 10 05-28-2003 04:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome